Author Topic: Taking gun off/putting gun on throughout day  (Read 14362 times)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
Re: Taking gun off/putting gun on throughout day
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 02:10:58 PM »
'm not certain whether it's legal to have a gun in a locked case in the PO parking lot.

It is-- the PO apparently had to be sued into complying with the 2nd Amendment.
http://bearingarms.com/federal-court-win-for-guns-at-post-office-parking-lots/

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
... thewarriorhunter has a good point that just taking out the gun and leaving the holster

You do NOT want to be coonfingering a loaded pistol in a car.  It is an invitation to disaster, and eventually, you might make a mistake.  Keep it in the holster.  Come up with some kind of removable rig.

You might even want to change to another pistol that is easier to take out.  Pocket carry (in a holster) of a Kel-Tec P3AT or similar .380 might work.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
You do NOT want to be coonfingering a loaded pistol in a car.

I'm not sure what that is but I'm pretty sure I don't do it. What's the difference between taking a loaded pistol out of your holster in a car and in your home? It's loaded both places and in both places you should be practicing proper trigger finger discipline. I'm not going to pull it out in a car with Betty-homemaker next to me, I'll wait for her to leave or I'll park somewhere else. I think it's a lot easier to remove a gun then a whole rig. YMMV

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 04:07:09 PM »
"Coonfingering" is a term borrowed from Tam at View From the Porch gun blog.  I means handling a loaded pistol, but especially in a way that involves removing from a holster, or re-holstering.  The word-picture is that of a raccoon, who do a lot of touching their food, moving it around, washing it.

What I meant was, the more often you unholster and re-holster, the higher the chance for a negligent discharge.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 11:38:01 AM »
Based on that philosophy to prevent injury or negligent discharge the gun should never be removed from the gun safe!

The reason for negligent discharges is not holstering and un-holstering the weapon.

The reason for negligent discharges is......negligence

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
Based on that philosophy to prevent injury or negligent discharge the gun should never be removed from the gun safe!

The reason for negligent discharges is not holstering and un-holstering the weapon.

The reason for negligent discharges is......negligence!

Come on, don't act like keeping a weapon holstered doesn't make it safer.
But, whatever.  Go ahead and take it out of the holster, and re-holster it all the time.  Just stay away from me.

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 04:01:44 PM »
I use an alien gear and bought crossbreed j clips to hid the clip behind my belt. I holster and in holster a couple times a day and then it goes in a lockbox. Safety stays on and finger off the trigger, been doing it for a couple years now.

Yes a holstered gun is safer but be diligent and think about what your doing and you should be fine.

Offline captcrunch227

• Prepper
  • A gun addicted Texan
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »
I just remove the gun from my holster, clear the chamber and drop the mag, put the gun in a glove box and take the bullets with me. Especially in a school parking lot I wouldn't be leaving a loaded gun. At least if it's broken into and stolen now it's not loaded in a target rich environment. But taking the holster on and off is over kill in my opinion. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch and you'll be okay.

I would make absolutely certain you can carry in the parking lot. A lot of gun laws are goofy. For example it's illegal to have a gun in your car  in the post office parking lot. Granted that's a federal issue but you get the idea. A parking lot doesn't mean you're legal to carry.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
– Ronald Reagan

“The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.” - Clint Smith

"You cannot save the planet. You may be able to save yourself and your family." - Clint Smith

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 12:01:39 PM »
I just remove the gun from my holster, clear the chamber and drop the mag, put the gun in a glove box and take the bullets with me.

I'd be careful with that depending on where you are. I could be wrong but last time I was reading up on laws for AZ having ammunition on you at a school was against the law. Different rules for different states.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
Comp Tac  http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-waistband/spartan-holster-10231
Crossbreed Supertuck  http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/HotcakesStore/CategoryViewer/tabid/112/slug/iwb-holsters/Default.aspx

really anything that you can clip on and off without taking your belt off.
Buy a lockable case for under your seat or one for the center console. that way you can lock it up
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/11/03/vehicle-center-console-gun-storage/

Offline Pawn

• Survivor
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 07:43:52 PM »
My advice - worth every penny - echoes a lot of peoples:

First, get a lockbox for the car.  I have one which locks via a cable under the front seat.

I have two carry options right now - a leather paddle holster for a ruger sp101 and a ruger LCP with a blackhawk pocket holster.  The LCP is tons easier to carry and disarm with, and even when inside the pocket holster, fits inside my lockbox with a spare magazine.

I've got a fold-over pocket holster on order - looks like a wallet, fits in a back pocket of levi's/jeans.

I am reasonably new to CCW/CHL, and thought I'd start light - carry a light weight gun and make it easier on myself, knowing if it were too inconvenient, I'd talk myself out of carrying all the time.  So unless I'm hiking, it's Miss Elsie Pea and the pocket holster.

I have a shooting buddy who really likes the LCP, and will be getting a similar pocket 380 since he finds himself not carrying his M&P .40 as often as he wanted (it's too big/heavy...).

does not play well with others.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 03:23:11 PM »
Comp Tac  http://www.comp-tac.com/inside-the-waistband/spartan-holster-10231

I have the Comp Tac Infidel Ultra and absolutely love it. I originally had a Glaco King Tuc which is similar to all of the other 'pancake' style IWB holsters. It was OK but my current rig is soooooo much better IMO.

Offline captcrunch227

• Prepper
  • A gun addicted Texan
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 01:41:22 PM »
I'd be careful with that depending on where you are. I could be wrong but last time I was reading up on laws for AZ having ammunition on you at a school was against the law. Different rules for different states.

Very true, always look up your local laws. No issues with that here in Texas. But the same principle applies, don't leave your gun loaded and unattended. Separate the bullets somehow, even if it means one in the trunk other in the glove box.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
– Ronald Reagan

“The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.” - Clint Smith

"You cannot save the planet. You may be able to save yourself and your family." - Clint Smith

Offline trapc45

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2015, 10:31:58 AM »
The federal Gun Free School Zone Act (GFSZA) mentioned above is a giant turd. It was over turned by the SCOTUS and then immediately reauthorized by Congress with a slight wording change to overcome the reason it was over turned. It has a provision that exempts anyone licensed by the state, i.e. anyone with a CHP/CHL. Those folks are governed strictly by state law. This provision is what has allowed certain states to permit carry on school grounds. In Virginia you are permitted to pick up/ drop off while armed as long as you do not exit the vehicle.If you are leaving the vehicle you must be disarmed and have the firearm unloaded before coming onto school property. I said all this to say if you are carrying a firearm, ensure you are well versed in both state and federal law. You never know what kind of legal traps you might stumble into during the course of your day.