Author Topic: Fox and Q's garden(s) 2015  (Read 4788 times)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Fox and Q's garden(s) 2015
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
A bit late starting on the posts, but Crazy Fox and I have already started our gardens for the year. We have the same 10'x20' plot at the community garden as last year, and I'm sharing a plot at work with a coworker, which about doubles our capacity from last year. The community garden will sort of be "his" since it's closer to his office and the one up at my work will sort of be "mine." Hopefully we can get some good production this year.

Fox put up the plastic on the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago and put up some wall-o-waters, so the soil has been warming up nicely. The only hard part is keeping it moist as the drip system isn't on yet. He planted some beets, carrots, onions, collard greens, and swiss chard last week, and we put in some tomatoes, tomatillos, and peppers under the wall-o-waters today. The weather has been unusually warm and dry so far this spring, but I think they will be protected enough even if we still get some snow (which is almost guaranteed).

The one weird thing we noticed was that all the strawberries died off from last year. Do some varieties only produce every other year? Or did we screw something up over the winter to kill them off? You can kind of see where they used to be in the bottom right corner of the plot in the picture below, under the ceramic pots/black drip line:

Game of Thrones fans will appreciate the sign he made from some scrap wood I brought home from work:

That's all I got for now, I'm planning on putting in some kale and maybe lettuce in at work this week. Got a couple of experiments to try this year too.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Re: Fox and Q's garden(s) 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »
Planted 2 types of kale, chard, lettuce, and mustard greens at the work garden today. Needs a lot more weeding as mint is taking over!

I know Fox planted some more stuff this week, and we're planning on doing some serious weeding at the community garden this Sunday.

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »
I like the signs, seems you guys have a good start, how do the community garden areas work out?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 07:23:34 AM »
This is our fourth year with this garden, second year with this plot. It's definitely not the most organized effort, and we have lots of folks that abandon their plots, but it's our best option right now. They planted some fruit trees a couple of years ago, and I think those might start to produce this year (we got a small amount last year, but a lot of it rotted on the ground due to lack of pruning). Some friends of ours started keeping bees on the property last year as well, and we got a couple jars of honey out of that.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:36:12 AM »
I know nothing of Game of Thrones, but I like the signs.

The strawberries may have winter killed or got some kind of pathogen. Or if they were in there during the hot summer, COOKED! If you plant more in there, keep a eye on what they do.

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 07:58:33 AM »
We took the hoops off last summer, and just put it up about a month ago. It was a fairly mild winter, though we did have a couple of weeks of subzero temps (typical for this area). I'll have to look at some other plots and see if their strawberries survived.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 07:52:10 PM »
We have sprouts! I'll have to try an get some more pictures up soon. Beets, onions, kale, carrots, and beans are all coming up. I'm excited about the beans as they're leftovers from last year's morning glory shut-out.

My "experiment" for the year also arrived yesterday: Wasabi!

It will be growing in a pot in the window for the next 18 months. Here's hoping I don't kill it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 10:52:05 PM »
Cool, hope it works out.  Wasabi is good stuff.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
After one of the coldest and wettest Mays on record, we finally got a harvest today of collard greens. The hoop house has been up for the past couple of weeks, since it is still getting down into the 40s at night (very unusual this time of year). Everything seems to be doing well, though a bit behind from last year as would be expected with the weather. We have tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, beets, peas, and beans all growing strong.

My garden at work is way behind. I have been working on it less than I thought I would. I planted some more kale and lettuce this week in addition to some adzuki beans, lovage, and cabbage. Next week will be spinach and whatever else I have time to plant. My co-worker that I was sharing with has decided to give me the entire plot as she and her husband are in the middle of buying a house in Colorado's crazy housing market, so they really just don't have the time this year.

I thought I was going to lose the wasabi plant as the leaves were beginning to yellow and dry out after planting, but I came in last weekend to find it had a new leaf coming up. Guess it just needed some time to adjust after what I imagine was a traumatic trip through the mail.