Poll

What are/will do about your cable/sat bill?

Nothing I don't mind paying that bill
1 (5%)
Buy a Ruko with Hulu Plus and Netflix
13 (65%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 Jailbroken with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Nothing because I don't know how
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 14, 2014, 10:11:07 AM

Author Topic: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord  (Read 69312 times)

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
Okay, so I officially had cut the cord with Comcast (except for the internet) today. My bill had increased to $261 a month! So much money is wasted on this company and I've had enough. Here is what I did.

1. I was given an Apple TV 2 from a friend.
2. Got a Subscription to Hulu Plus and Netflix - $16.00 a month for both
3. Jail broke the Apple TV 2 and added XBMC and set it up.
4. Called Comcast and told them to go pound sand.
5. Bought a cable modem that will work with Comcast for $90.00 (Motorola SB6141)
6. Still need to buy an HD antenna and another Apple TV for my Man Cave.

They tried to talk me into staying and they would cut $68 off my monthly bill. I told them no and that I wanted the internet plus package for $55. They then told me “that is for new customers only and you would have to be completely canceled for 90 days before you would be eligible for that deal”. That is the kind of crap that ticks me off with regards to cable companies and I think this is the beginning of the end for them. Anyways they said that it would be $85.51 for internet alone (with cable modem rental of $8.00). I said whatever and that is fine.

So once I get my new modem my costs per month will be $93.51.
I was paying $3,135 and now I will be paying $1,122.12
Savings of $2,012.88 a year!

I wanted to post this in case anyone was thinking about doing this and how they could do it. If anyone has questions on how or whatever I will be more than happy to answer them.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
Re: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »
I would love to do that, however, my family would scream bloody murder.  Paying $180/month here and I'll put up with it until we move this summer.  All bets are off then.

Offline HomegrownGal

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
Wow! Lol! I moved into the homestead i bought last year in June. I've never paid for cable and I didn't get a converter box when tv changed a few years ago. I'd love to have internet!! I thought it was too pricey around $50. I don't have a home phone, but an Apple 4s with 3G Sprint. Signal sucks! Unlimited text and internet. My MacBook Pro is my stereo and phone charger! Lol! I watch DVD movies on it sometimes for entertainment. I'd like to find an inexpensive way to have internet on my computer, but have a very limited budget since buying this place.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »
I would love to do that, however, my family would scream bloody murder.  Paying $180/month here and I'll put up with it until we move this summer.  All bets are off then.

Would they change there minds if they could get all their current TV shows and Movies that are still in the theaters?
I've heard that with the XBMC app on the Apple TV 2 you can do such a thing. Of course it may be illegal, so I don't do it.  ;)

Online NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 10:27:08 AM »
I have only cut back to the basic DirectTV package.  But I have fiber optic internet through Frontier (formerly Verizon) and it is only $35/mo.  My daughter eliminated cable AND internet and just uses her phone for surfing and DVD player for movies/series.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:39:58 AM »
Would they change there minds if they could get all their current TV shows and Movies that are still in the theaters?
I've heard that with the XBMC app on the Apple TV 2 you can do such a thing. Of course it may be illegal, so I don't do it.  ;)

I won't do anything illegal either.  It's tough being honest sometimes.

It would also be another project where it would be all on me to get it done and keep it working.  That pushes it down the priority list.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
Nice, I think we have elevated 'entertainment' way to high on our priorty list as a culture.  There's a place for it, sure.  But in general, I think it's wrongfully pushed out some many other worthy uses of our time and resources.

I'm not sure what you use the cable internet connection for, but if you can deal with a little slower connection DSL is can be had for $19.99 through Verizon.  Add in about $5.00 in taxes/etc and it comes to about $300 annually ($25/mo).  Another $800+ of less spending.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
Nice, I think we have elevated 'entertainment' way to high on our priorty list as a culture.  There's a place for it, sure.  But in general, I think it's wrongfully pushed out some many other worthy uses of our time and resources.

I'm not sure what you use the cable internet connection for, but if you can deal with a little slower connection DSL is can be had for $19.99 through Verizon.  Add in about $5.00 in taxes/etc and it comes to about $300 annually ($25/mo).  Another $800+ of less spending.

The cable internet allows me to stream TV shows and Movies on the Apple TV.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 11:15:51 AM »
Is that not an option with DSL?

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
Is that not an option with DSL?

Not really.  DSL tops out at 3Mb/s and that's too slow for video.  Good enough for everything else, just not video.  Cable modem is almost ten times that and fiber optic (if you can get it) is even faster.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
We haven't had cable, satellite, or even an antenna for more than a decade.  Internet is Century Link at around $20/month. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 12:17:34 PM »
We have cable to get internet. The phone lines where I live are very old and not upgraded and there is no DSL. It is cheaper for me to get internet plus basic channels than just internet from the cable company, so we have some limited basic channels. The TV is in the closet, I will pull it out in a diaster or somesuch if I think it will have news coverage.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 12:39:10 PM »
With DSL, Netflix, Hulu, and HDTV over the air, there's really nothing the wife or I miss about not having cable.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 12:44:26 PM »
If it wasn't for my wife and kids, I'd ditch comcast as well.  The other problem is I've got the 3 service bundle: ISP, phone, TV cable

I think the whole package is around $180/month (we negotiated it down).  To just cut the cable and return the monthly DVR box we rent would only save $60 or so.

We've considered tossing the landline, but we do have a monitored alarm/security system hardwired (another monthly expense).
Also, with my wife and I on the same mobile carrier, there's no phone redundancy if that service was interrupted should we rely exclusively on cell towers.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »
cable for internet only. i have a roku someone gave me tied to netflix.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Last time I had cable tv was 1991. I can catch most shows using the internet anyways.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
cable for internet only. i have a roku someone gave me tied to netflix.

Do you use Plex on your Roku? From what I've read it's kinda like XBMC.

nkawtg

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 01:03:24 PM »
I already have a Ruku with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Redbox.
All those channels and nothing to watch...

As soon as my DirectTV contract expires it's out the window unless my internet provider starts metering my bandwidth after the overthrow of Net Neutrality, then I'm not sure. I may still toss Satellite anyway. What I'd really like to get rid of is my damned Cell bill.

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
I have been thinking the same thing though my bill is satellite for 80 a month.
Cancel that and get a roku or smart TV/DVD player.
I have Amazon prime but figured I'd get netflix or hulu plus.
Only thing i would miss are about a dozen live sporting events a year but saving nearly 700 a year. Not as much as you but I haven't been getting ripped off as bad yet...(i think mine jumps again when my 2 year contract is up)

2 questions for those out there:
1) if i have amazon streaming which would be better for me netflix or hulu plus? I guess which one fills the gaps of amazon better?
2) Is there a good DVR option out there for OTA antenna stuff? Or with amazon and netflix/hulu is DVR really important at all since you just stream when you want anyway?

Thanks. hope i'm not hijacking too much.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 02:13:50 PM »
Not really.  DSL tops out at 3Mb/s and that's too slow for video.  Good enough for everything else, just not video.  Cable modem is almost ten times that and fiber optic (if you can get it) is even faster.

I have DSL and a 7Mb/s connection. I can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime video just fine with it. That will be highly dependent on the usage in your area, though.

I have not once had cable since moving out of my parent's house. Don't miss it in the slightest. I've been trying to convince them to ditch it too since they only watch about 4 channels. Mom just can't live without her Weather Channel ;)

Offline Jbrez6

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Our ochre way
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »

I have not once had cable since moving out of my parent's house. Don't miss it in the slightest. I've been trying to convince them to ditch it too since they only watch about 4 channels. Mom just can't live without her Weather Channel ;)

Pretty much the same here. We have rabbit ears on the tv and get pretty good reception out in the country. When we lived in the city it was okay, but out here we don't have any problem watching the olympics and the basic sitcoms on CBS etc. A lot of what we watch is offered online these days too.

Cutting the cable cord not only saves us money, but a lot of time we would otherwise have spent zombie-ing out in front of the tv.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »
Netflix takes care of most of what I watch. I don't watch any tv show until they are done and I can binge watch them. No more 2 year cliffhangers.  I gave up on Hulu. Still have commercials even after you pay. Nope. I miss the days of having the huge six foot dish in the backyard. Fun watching shows that were beamed from the networks to their affiliates without commercials.

nkawtg

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »
My problem with HuluPlus is you still get commercials.
True you get more content than with standard Hulu, but darnit if I'm going to pay for service I don't want commercials.
So we chose Amazon prime, Netflix, and RedBox.
You don't get everything free, but you do get a pretty good selection.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »
Do you use Plex on your Roku? From what I've read it's kinda like XBMC.
not heard of it, i'll have to check it out. thanks.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »
I have been thinking the same thing though my bill is satellite for 80 a month.
Cancel that and get a roku or smart TV/DVD player.
I have Amazon prime but figured I'd get netflix or hulu plus.
Only thing i would miss are about a dozen live sporting events a year but saving nearly 700 a year. Not as much as you but I haven't been getting ripped off as bad yet...(i think mine jumps again when my 2 year contract is up)

2 questions for those out there:
1) if i have amazon streaming which would be better for me netflix or hulu plus? I guess which one fills the gaps of amazon better?
2) Is there a good DVR option out there for OTA antenna stuff? Or with amazon and netflix/hulu is DVR really important at all since you just stream when you want anyway?

Thanks. hope i'm not hijacking too much.

A few things I like about amazon prime video:

* A reasonable amount of "free" movies.  Not quite netflix scale, but lots.
* Many movies available for "rent" at all pricing tiers.
* Many movies available for "sale".

Imagine your wife or whoever wants to watch a new release DVD.
Netflix doesn't have it.
Amazon doesn't have it for free, but it is available for $2.99.

While you'd prefer it be free, it's nice to have the option from amazon.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
We have not had cable for several years.

We have an antenna for watching Cowboy games and a few PBS shows.

We get most of what we watch from Amazon Prime.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »
I've got cable for internet and that's it.  At $70/month, it's high but I like the speed.  If there was a viable alternative for less money, I'd look into it.  (anybody?)

After that... Netflix 3-disk-at-a-time keeps me in movies.  Maybe I ought to put up a TV antenna to get the local broadcasts, but I just don't feel motivated to.  Life's too full already!

Offline boyscout57

• Prepper
  • Deep behind enemy lines
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »
I didn't see the choice that says "got rid of cable...the biggest time waster"

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:19 PM »
... That is the kind of crap that ticks me off with regards to cable companies and I think this is the beginning of the end for them.

um, they'll be around for a while yet... Comcast is buying Time Warner Cable...  http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/12/investing/comcast-time-warner-cable/index.html

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 06:37:14 AM »
I didn't see the choice that says "got rid of cable...the biggest time waster"

Bingo