Poll

What are/will do about your cable/sat bill?

Nothing I don't mind paying that bill
1 (5%)
Buy a Ruko with Hulu Plus and Netflix
13 (65%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 Jailbroken with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Nothing because I don't know how
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 14, 2014, 10:11:07 AM

Author Topic: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord  (Read 69863 times)

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
Re: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »
Not really.  DSL tops out at 3Mb/s and that's too slow for video.  Good enough for everything else, just not video.  Cable modem is almost ten times that and fiber optic (if you can get it) is even faster.

Nope... I have DSL and use a roku box exclusively for my TV. Might get a buffering issue once in a while but I havent had any real trouble with it at all. Cut the cable cord a year ago and pay $50 a month for ATT DSL internet. the Roku is playing for about 4 hours a day and I have yet to go over my bandwidth limit either.

cable is a flat out scam imo.   

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
Do you use Plex on your Roku? From what I've read it's kinda like XBMC.

yes and It works fantastically.

also... any of you roku guys out there... look into the roku private channels, lots of cool stuff out there that roku doesn't publicly publish... and most importantly... My Video Buzz - its a roku specific youtube browser... you kind of have to hack your roku to install it but its super easy and its really the only youtube option for the roku right now. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:57:09 AM by livinitup0 »

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
Nope... I have DSL and use a roku box exclusively for my TV. Might get a buffering issue once in a while but I havent had any real trouble with it at all. Cut the cable cord a year ago and pay $50 a month for ATT DSL internet. the Roku is playing for about 4 hours a day and I have yet to go over my bandwidth limit either.

cable is a flat out scam imo.   

Yep, the cable companies make you think you need this "ultra-turbo high-speed" connection to stream anything longer than a YouTube video and then charge 50+% more for it than a "slow-as-mud" DSL connection. There are days where Netflix is on in my house for 3+ hours without a connection problem, often simultaneously with other internet activity. I don't notice a speed reduction with this. I'm considered a "power user" by my internet company (literally - they've sent me letters stating as much trying to get me to upgrade). Unless you are uploading/downloading large files constantly (yarrrrr!), you probably will do just fine with DSL.

I live in a major metro area (dozens of other routers pop up in my wireless connections window). I do have occasional buffer issues, but I changed a couple settings in my router several months ago and they have virtually disappeared. I will never go back to slaver-- I mean, cable.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
we cut our cable a couple years ago. we have a blue ray player that goes online so we can stream netflix and amazon prime. i am looking at getting an antenna so i can pick up local channels, they are about $40 bucks but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

i will say this for those wanting to cut the cable but holding back due to a large ETF - i chose to pay mine when i cut early because the fee was less than the total i would have paid if i'd waited for my contract to expire.

so between internet, netflix, and amazon prime i pay $740 a year, can watch just about anything, and if i want to make the prime portion even more valuable i can include the fact that i get free 2 day shipping and can rent books on my kindle. i really only have prime for shipping, i think prime video is far inferior to netflix - the UI is horrible on our TV and the selection is about the same. if we rent one book a month then prime has already paid for itself so i could say i only spend $660/year on TV/internet.

Offline LizardGurl

• Survivor
  • Low Carb Paleo Permaculturist Locavore
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 08:19:58 AM »
Not really.  DSL tops out at 3Mb/s and that's too slow for video.  Good enough for everything else, just not video.  Cable modem is almost ten times that and fiber optic (if you can get it) is even faster.

I have not found this to be true.  We don't have cable.  Our internet is a DSL connection.  I do need to hard wire the tablet into the router with a network cable when we stream videos.  Using the wireless can be problematic. 

We get all of our TV and film viewing by streaming it on my tablet PC.  I plug that into the TV with a mini-HDMI cable.  The only thing we can't get is professional sports.  If there's something we must watch, we go to a spots bar or a friend's house.

We are actually paying about $8.00/month for TV.  I subscribed to Modern Family.  We get our other content through our Amazon Prime membership.  There are a lot of free things like Dr. Who and Sherlock.

LG

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
There are reports that Comcast is specifically throttling netflix downloads to unusably slow rates for many of their subscribers. Not cool!

I haven't had many problems with AT&T DSL throughput speeds for streaming, but there are reports of them throttling too. This is why monopolies suck!

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 09:48:33 AM »
I'm lucky and have a small, regional carrier available in my area. No throttling that I've noticed (so far).

It's funny, I've seen a couple people mention that they don't want Hulu Plus because there are still commercials despite the monthly fee. This is different from cable how? ???

(Not berating anyone or defending Hulu, I hate commercials and will pay to eliminate them too, just a funny coincidence I noticed ;) ).

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »
with hulu you at least get to watch what you want, when you want, right? i guess that is the selling point over regular cable. we don't watch enough 'current' tv to justify getting into hulu.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2014, 10:41:08 AM »
I'm lucky and have a small, regional carrier available in my area. No throttling that I've noticed (so far).

It's funny, I've seen a couple people mention that they don't want Hulu Plus because there are still commercials despite the monthly fee. This is different from cable how? ???

(Not berating anyone or defending Hulu, I hate commercials and will pay to eliminate them too, just a funny coincidence I noticed ;) ).

I worked for an ISP for a while... they might actually be leasing from one of the big companies and reselling the same service under their name.

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
I'll add another anecdote. I live in a fairly rural area with 3.5mps DSL. I run a Roku with Amazon Prime with very few problems. Worst case it drops out of HD mode and takes a few more seconds (sometimes 20 or 30) to buffer.

Now when my oldest is home from college and does a lot of streaming in addition to the youngest watching stuff, it becomes a problem. But that's when there are 3 of us streaming(the Roku and 2 laptops). When it's only 1 video stream it works fine. When it's 2 devices streaming I can't stream HD but even when it drops down it drops down to like 720p which still looks pretty good on a TV sized display from a proper distance away.

EDIT: Does anyone have a personal recommendation up or down on over the air HD antennas for local channels? Brand/models?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:37:56 AM by gopack84 »

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
I've got a large Winegard Yagi antenna in the attic, spliced into the home cable system that the house came wired with, and it is bringing in HDTV at full strength from 45 miles away. 

Almost all the channels in my area broadcast from the same mountain top, so the directional capabilities of a yagi works perfectly in my situation.  I literally just tossed it between the rafters and pointed it in the right direction, and it is totally out of sight under the roof.  The rabbit ears or omnidirectional "HDTV" antennas I tried before were not as reliable, often only resulted in 70-80% signal strength, and a good rain would often take out half the channels. 

All the antennas say HD on them now, but it's all marketing hype.  The same UHF/VHF antennas that worked with analog TV work just as well with HD tuners, so if you've got an old one laying around you might as well try it first before buying a new one.

Offline Biscuits and Gravy

• Prepper
    • Prepper Book Club
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 04:34:13 PM »
We actually just cut the cable cord.  End up saving $100 per month. 

I bought a digital antenna last night and we can access Netflix, YouTube, and others through our Tivo.  I am not a huge TV watcher and usually watch things through YouTube or Netflix on my phone or computer.  My wife was the big TV watcher, but as weaned herself off lately.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »
Hi All

We cut the cable a few years ago

Just got tired of everything on cable either being the same Western over and over again or the shows about gay teenage vampire artists.

We use Netflix and the internet.  Lots of old movies on u-tube for free and shoot you can download them.  We just signed up for Amazon Prime and it is worth it in my opinion.

We like NCIS and CBS now has its own website with shows.

Hard to beat it.  Dont miss the cable
Kid

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »
We made this move over three years ago. At first we had a PC with tuner card, to DVR local programming, and had Netflix. Later we added an AppleTV and got additional AppleTVs as we added a TV for the kids room and our bedroom. They are capable of streaming ripped content from the main PC.

We moved out to the sticks, over the air is pointless out here. So we now only have the AppleTVs and tried Hulu but canceled it. We have strict control of not only what our kids can see but the hours they can see it.

The vast majority of what plays on out TV is kid friendly fair (to include Duck Dynasty) while they are awake and a handful of shows (The Walking Dead, Doctor Who, Sherlock, etc.) for the grown ups once they are in bed.

Oh, BTW the PBS app on the AppleTV has allowed me to catch the most recent season of Sherlock without waiting for it to hit Netflix.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 06:39:46 PM »
Oh, BTW the PBS app on the AppleTV has allowed me to catch the most recent season of Sherlock without waiting for it to hit Netflix.

I'm really liking that PBS app.  Catching up on a bunch of missed Frontline and Nova episodes.

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »
I'm really liking that PBS app.  Catching up on a bunch of missed Frontline and Nova episodes.
The Smithsonian and Crackle Apps are decent too.

I forgot to add that we have Amazon Prime, for shipping savings, but have begun to stream the iPad/ iPhone app to the AppleTV as well.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2014, 06:49:25 PM »
I forgot to add that we have Amazon Prime, for shipping savings, but have begun to stream the iPad/ iPhone app to the AppleTV as well.

Clever!  I need to try that, too.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2014, 07:39:12 PM »
I didn't see the choice that says "got rid of cable...the biggest time waster"

Neither did I, if not carefully controlled TV is a good way to make yourself fat and lazy. I got rid of it over a decade ago when I noticed that I would sometimes spent prime parts of the day watching stuff that doesn't matter in real life. An occasional movie is great, but cable is a time waste with terrible return.

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 05:53:43 PM »
I got rid of cable TV about 3 years ago,  I've had a Netflix subscription that whole time and it was decent.

Recently I went with the Amazon prime sub. and it has gotten a lot better.

And for those that need more:  I have some friends that have a Sony Blu-Ray all in one player at their cabin.  It has access to all sorts of stuff, Youtube, Crackle, Netflix, Amazon etc.  That would probably be the best route.  You have access to all sorts of free services and it's able to log into just about anything with a subscription.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 08:48:06 PM »
Yup, our blue ray has all of those services, I think most mid range blue ray players now have all of the big/common app services built in.

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »
Another Roku fan here... Amazon Prime, Netflix, and PBS get us 90% of the non-sports programming we ever watched anyway.

$120 for MLB.Tv subscription added onto the Roku and I'm a happy man from March to November. That alone gets me more programming than I could watch in a day anyway.  ;D

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
There are reports that Comcast is specifically throttling netflix downloads to unusably slow rates for many of their subscribers. Not cool!

I haven't had many problems with AT&T DSL throughput speeds for streaming, but there are reports of them throttling too. This is why monopolies suck!

If those reports turn out to be true I would not be shocked and yes monopolies do suck. Welcome to the second age of the American robber barons.  :-\

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2014, 03:03:23 PM »
I'm reviving this thread.

I've been attempting to cut the cable (or in my case DirectTV) for quite a while.  I it was up to me, it would be done already.  Almost everything I watch is on Netflix, Amazon Prime or some other online source.  My kids watch a few shows, but I think most of these are online.  The problem is the wife.  She doesn't want to get rid of the local channels for news and a soap she watches.

But I'm winning her over a little at a time.  We have a lot of DVDs.  I've been ripping them to the desktop computer.  I downloaded Plex Media Server and put the Plex channel on the Roku.  She's really happy with this.

Now if I could only find a way for her to watch The Young and the Restless, I'd have her won over.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »
The problem is the wife.  She doesn't want to get rid of the local channels for news and a soap she watches.

Get an antenna and pull in the local channels over the air in digital high definition.  I've got a $50 yagi between the trusses in the attic, spliced into the cable system, and I'm pulling in full strength signals from 45 miles away.  The quality is better than either cable or satellite, since there's no bandwidth constraints.  Even old rabbit ears will do the job if you're not that far out from the transmission towers.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2014, 04:39:02 PM »
Yeah, I've looked at doing this, but I'm quite a ways away from the towers.  If I could find someone locally that is doing this already I could prove to her that it's working.  I also need to be able to record that soap. 

Heaven help me.   I just ripped the Howard the Duck DVD.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
Fortunately all the shows my wife wants to watch are on Hulu, so I haven't had to mess with a recording solution.

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
My problem with HuluPlus is you still get commercials.
True you get more content than with standard Hulu, but darnit if I'm going to pay for service I don't want commercials.
So we chose Amazon prime, Netflix, and RedBox.
You don't get everything free, but you do get a pretty good selection.

I feel the same way. Plus any "popular" shows on Hulu only have the newest season.

Offline Tactical Hamster

• Survivor
  • Maybe he is born with it, maybe it is the beard
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2014, 04:50:34 AM »
We cut cable a few years ago. It sucks most when we are watching seasons with holes in what is provided. Season 1-8 is free, got to pay more for final season. We had Hulu, watched everything, went to Netflix, watched everything, now on Prime, which is great. If I want local news the internet is there. Only downside is our internet is horribly slow, buffers for 30-50 seconds every 2-3 minutes at the worse time.

Offline gpowers01

• Prepper
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:58 AM »
My wife and I decided to cut cable about five years ago.  Quite happy now to not be charged almost $200/mo for the privilege to watch a tremendous amount of commercial content.

First it was a PS3 w/ Netflix and Amazon Prime (not a fan of Amazon's TV service).  Then we eventually bought an AppleTV. 

We subscribe to Hulu for the shows my wife wants to watch (things like Nashville, Parenthood, and Modern Family), and have a TV antenna for other local broadcasts.  $7/mo

We have Netflix for our two year old son (Netflix Kids is pretty darned good) and myself (currently watching Blacklist and SOA). $8/mo watch on 2 screens at once with HD plan here.

Charter 30-60Mbps high speed cable internet is the major expense, which costs me about $60/mo.

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
I had to get DSL a few years ago for school and work. I've never paid for cable but I do use Amazon Prime, mostly for the free shipping and downloading books for free. The wife uses her sister's NetFlix and HBOGo accounts but other than that, the TV is hardly ever on.