Poll

What are/will do about your cable/sat bill?

Nothing I don't mind paying that bill
1 (5%)
Buy a Ruko with Hulu Plus and Netflix
13 (65%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 Jailbroken with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Nothing because I don't know how
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 14, 2014, 10:11:07 AM

Author Topic: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord  (Read 69192 times)

Offline Beetlebum

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »
Only downside is our internet is horribly slow, buffers for 30-50 seconds every 2-3 minutes at the worse time.

To anyone concerned about or having speed/buffering issues... Try your hardest to hardwire your system and don't use a wireless connection. Nearly all wireless connections will be substandard to a hardwired ethernet connection and will not maximize the connection speed you have purchased. If you are wirelessly connected, distance is your enemy.

The Roku 3 has an ethernet connection but 1/2 do not. It's worth the few extra dollars IMO.

Also, Roku has tons of channels many for free. For example, PBS. They also have an ESPN channel - so if you were to have a subscription to a cable provider for a different TV (or location), you could log into the ESPN channel to watch your games. (Extrapolate that as you may)

I think its kinda funny, my parents didn't (don't) have cable and I used to felt deprived as a child. I bought cable for a few years on my own and now fully understand why they didn't and how I wasn't.

I see people saying how cable companies are on their way out and many people switching to cell service only, but that industry seems to have a very similar business model. If cable companies are truly on their way out, I don't see traditional cell companies lasting much beyond either. I'm not sure what will fill the void but something certainly will.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2014, 10:17:39 AM »
Don't forget your local library or Bookmobile either.

When I lived in the bush in Canada, I would grab DVD's from the library, of entire seasons of series, National Geographic Shows, Documentaries, Movies and such. Even now I am working on seeing "Lost", "Northern Exposure", "Once Upon a Time", "Eureka"... and I really don't care they came out years and years (and maybe even a decade or two) ago. I did not have a TV for 10 years, my internet connection up there was 14kbps... so it was either a book or the library for DVD (or buy them).

I had cable for 2 years when I moved back down, (just don't try to get out of their system, or they will totally hoop you over -- told them to kiss off anyway and called the FCC on them), and for 2 years we have been without 'tv' again. And we do not miss it. We can watch almost everything through the computer (and I still get DVD's from the library). We somehow have better internet connection here than Z did in a college town. We have the most expensive internet package and it is $60 a month.

Plusses with some things, is when I did that with the DVD's in Canada, I would get foreign films 1-2x a month (even if I had to read them outloud to the rest of the family - the entire movie) and then I would make a meal which corresponded to that country. Now that SP is 5, I think I will start to get some foreign language DVD's for her. She actually used to speak some Russian due to my friend Olga (who was from Moscow) and her son. SP also used to know sign language before she could talk.

So sometimes (IMO) even if you have to be more creative sometimes, there are alot of ways to save money on TV entertainment which is a luxury... but in many ways, saving the money and finding better 'shows' is much more luxurious.

Cedar

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2014, 02:11:58 PM »
We have a Roku2.  We used to subscribe to Hulu Plus, but I quickly discovered that while I got the programs I wanted to watch, I also got commercials.  The big problem is if I record a program on the DVR I can fast forward through the commercials, not so with Hulu Plus.

Offline ericksonrs

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
What are you using to Rip your DVDs for your plex?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »
What are you using to Rip your DVDs for your plex?
Currently using Pavtube. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2014, 10:22:57 PM »
I downgraded our Comcast (cable) to a slower internet speed and we dont notice any difference and we are saving $20 a month -- so that's good. (it is still about $50 a month)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2014, 12:26:45 AM »
We cut our cable about 3-4 years ago, I miss some of the shows on Discovery/History channel and some sports as they have their own network but I don't miss the high bills. We have a HD antenna for local and netflix stream thru a Sony player, it works good enough for movies with our limited DSL connection only 2-3 Mbps. We went from paying $140 month for internet/cable to $40 now and my wife gets reimbursed up to $50 from her work.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2014, 08:55:38 AM »
I've been mulling over cutting the cord. The biggest obstacle seems to be my kids "have to watch cartoon network". They currently don't stream over any legal service.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »
I've been mulling over cutting the cord. The biggest obstacle seems to be my kids "have to watch cartoon network". They currently don't stream over any legal service.

pull the plug ;)

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2014, 09:34:13 AM »
pull the plug ;)
ditto.... we've found our kids are WAY more resilient to the change than we are.

They had been fully engrossed into several different series on the Disney Channel, none of which were available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
It took a rough week or so of finding something new that they would enjoy, but there's a TON of stuff just on Netflix that they quickly fell in love with.

Nowadays, they don't even remember those shows.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
It looks like there are two ways to stream Cartoon Network:
USTVNow - originally a streaming service for U.S. military/ex-pats but now allows domestic customers. $19 a month for the first 3 months, then $29 a month. Looks like they have a pretty extensive lineup that mirrors Hulu plus a bunch more:
http://www.ustvnow.com/

PlayOn - this is windows only software that basically streams to a client on a device (Roku, AppleTV, Chromecast, etc.). You still need to pay for your services individually. The PC has to be on when watching your shows.
http://www.playon.tv/supported-devices

Both of the above mentioned services have Roku channels.

Offline kid_couteau

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
I find for us we can find a lot of the shows we like on the individual tv networks.

Youtube has a lot of old shows as well.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2014, 07:10:28 AM »
I've been playing around with Plex.  I intend on putting all our videos on a stand alone box to stream.  The are channels that you can add, like on a Roku.  One is CBS and they have the past 5 episodes on Young & the Restless.  So that's one of the big hurdles with getting my wife on board.  It's a really tough sell to get her to cut cable, or in our case DirecTV.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2014, 08:00:48 AM »
There is literally only two things keeping me from cutting the directv. 1st I can't get decent internet out here in the boonies... 2nd OKC THUNDER! I cant miss a game.

We just do our internet stuff either at our buisness or on our iPhones.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »
Netflix has a kids channel and they do have Cartoon Network shows on there. usually a couple seasons of each. They have Phineas and Ferb and a bunch of the older ones. Hope they post another season of Samurai Jack. You can get a month free to try before you cut the cord.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2014, 10:15:28 AM »
There's also Amazon Prime Video.  Lots of current TV shows on there.  Some are current up until last season, some not so recent.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
There's also Amazon Prime Video.  Lots of current TV shows on there.  Some are current up until last season, some not so recent.

We tried that for one movie and the they sent us a questionaire on how we liked it. Felt invasive.. so we will not be using it again. We don't need a documentation of what we watch.

Cedar

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2014, 11:06:38 AM »
We tried that for one movie and the they sent us a questionaire on how we liked it. Felt invasive.. so we will not be using it again. We don't need a documentation of what we watch.

Cedar
Had Amazon Prime for over 3 years now, never had a questionnaire sent to me, and if I did I just ignored it.  Don't think it matters how you watch TV now, some company some place is tracking what you watch.  Whether it is on Amazon, Netflix, cable or satellite, the owners of the service know what you watch, when you watch.
I think the only way you can avoid it is to watch DVD/Blu-Ray discs and buy them with cash only, no store rewards card either.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »
I don't know that I've had a survey either.  I would guess it they wanted to know how the picture was and technical things.  Any streaming, they already know what you are watching.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
We use mostly amazon prime. We have also been doing it for 3 years and never received a survey. And yes, all that you watch through any of these services is being tracked.

DVDs, blue rays bought for cash with no reward type card and broadcast TV with an antenna is the only hope of not being tracked.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »
I think the only way you can avoid it is to watch DVD/Blu-Ray discs and buy them with cash only, no store rewards card either.

Pretty much what I have done since 2001. Except from 2010-mid2012. Or YouTube.

Cedar

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
...Or YouTube.

Cedar
Google is tracking this for sure.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2014, 03:09:05 PM »
Google is tracking this for sure.

I am not overly worried about it. But did annoy us about Amazon.

Cedar

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2014, 08:39:46 AM »
Just got a notice that my cable bill going up $10. Talked to the wife and we've decided to cut the cord. We're going to try the USTVNow service and Amazon Prime. If the kids weren't so adamant about Cartoon Network we would just go with Hulu+, Amazon Prime & Netflix. On the main tv we're using a Roku2 box. In the mancave I'm going to install Kodi (formerly XBMC) on my MythTV (linux DVR) box. Once we finish watching all of the recordings on the MythTV box I'll just leave Kodi on it. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:44:59 AM by hackmeister »

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »
I didn't know that xbmc changed their name.  I have xbmc running on a Raspberry Pi, so technically it is RaspBMC.  Works well and for $35 and an hour or so, it's a great deal.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2014, 03:19:54 PM »
We cut the cable a few months ago. Wife misses being able to do some work from home, but it is a pretty big savings for us... something like 60-80 bucks.

I may be getting a new position soon which would require me to be on call and work from home and would also reimburse some of the internet bill. If that happens, it's coming back.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »
It is not just the cable access bill- they add all the rental charges- remote, cable box, dvr fee, cable modem. They nickel and dime you (adjust for inflation $5 and $10) every chance they get

Offline Klonus

• Survivor
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2015, 06:52:36 PM »
There is a great podcast on cord cutting called "CordKillers".  It is a great resource for those thinking about giving it a shot.  I have been a cord cutter for about 5 years now and have saved easily $5000 in cable costs during that time.  I have access to about 90% of what I watch for about 5% of the cost.  It can be tricky for sports but I have found that most of the games I watch are available over the air with a digital antenna.  There are so many options these days for streaming services and devices.  Give it a shot.  You have nothing to lose but high cable bills!!!

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2015, 09:01:32 PM »
Last time I had cable tv was 1991. I can catch most shows using the internet anyways.

yup. EVERY channel has a website & runs episodes..

We bought a 55" smart TV this past Summer & have Amazon Prime & hulu. Finally ditched cable & phone service (we had the bundle) Now we chromecast & watch hulu if we're not watching over the air via a $50 dollar digital antenna.
Cable companies have out priced themselves. We went from $180/ mo for cable internet & phone to $40 for internet  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »
You can buy a lot of dvd's, and they don't have to be from the $5 bin, for what you spend on cable. 

We buy a few good movies, use prime (on DSL) and cut most of the crap shows from our lives.  I don't miss them at all.