Author Topic: bitcoin founder  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Kayakmom

• Prepper
  • Happy to be here.
bitcoin founder
« on: March 06, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »

Offline skas

• Survivor
Re: bitcoin founder
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »
I've been trying to follow this fairly closely, and I'm not convinced it's him.

There are too many inconsistencies in NW's story.  Several big hitters in the BTC community have come out saying that is NOT him.

If this guy is as smart as the original whitepaper / the creation of BTC indicates, and he really wanted to remain anonymous, I think he'd have not used his given name (even though he no longer uses it) in the whitepaper.

Regardless of whether this is the real Satoshi or not, I feel horrible for this guy.  NW basically said "hey world, here's a private individual that has potentially billions of dollars worth of a currency that can be laundered and stolen from him.  Also, here's his address."

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 05:33:30 PM »
I read the article and am on the fence. 

There's no conclusive proof offered that definitely connects him to the project, just circumstantial evidence and a vague statement that's probably been taken out of context by a journalist who'd like to claim responsibility for resurrecting NewsWeak from the dead.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
Now that he's talking to AP, I'm thinking Dorian Prentice Satoshi Nakamoto probably isn't "The Satoshi Nakamoto."  They've apparently caught him calling it Bitcom a couple of times.

Like skas said, I'd be seriously pissed at Newsweak if I was him.  Who wants the press nightmare, let alone worrying about potential targeting for criminal and/or governmental action? 

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »
I read the article yesterday at lunch.  I'm pretty much of the same opinion as most of you.  Not so sure they have the right guy and man, that could really make a mess out of ones life.

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:37:27 AM »
Regardless of whether this is the real Satoshi or not, I feel horrible for this guy.  NW basically said "hey world, here's a private individual that has potentially billions of dollars worth of a currency that can be laundered and stolen from him.  Also, here's his address."
Gotta admit, the potential number of bitcoins this guy has never even crossed my mind when I thought about how his life now ruined... doesn't matter if he's a billionaire or not, he's now Public Enemy #1 for many foreign governments and many departments within our own government.

Frankly, I'm astounded the guy still lives in the US (if it is him)... I had imagined somebody living on a private beach in SE Asia, perfectly happy with a respectable fortune and having moved forward the cause of liberty around the world.

Offline HangelMarx

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »
Nah, not him:

A day after the news broke that Satoshi Nakamoto was a 64-year-old Japanese man living in California, Nakamoto has denied being the creator of Bitcoin  in an exclusive two-hour interview with The Associated Press.

Nakamoto said he had never heard of bitcoin until his son told him he had been contacted by a Newsweek reporter three weeks ago. He acknowledged that many of the details in Newsweek’s report are correct, including that he once worked for a defense contractor, and that his given name at birth was Satoshi. But he strongly disputed the magazine’s assertion that he is “the face behind bitcoin.”

“I got nothing to do with it,” he said, repeatedly.
source

This could get ugly for Newsweek.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 10:26:39 PM »
Bitcoiners are seriously pissed at Ms. Goodman, Newsweek, and their irresponsible journalism. 

There's a donation drive to help Dorian deal with the fallout, someone with a ton of money offered to fly him out of LA to a safehouse on a $90k chartered jet, and I wouldn't want to even guess how a bunch of hacker types could mess with her online life.

Offline cpf240

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »
Funny... I used to work for Quotron... and several of the former developers there are debating whether or not this really could be the guy. The consensus is no.