Author Topic: gas fumes & nylon tents  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
gas fumes & nylon tents
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »
Here's the question: Will gas fumes eat up a nylon tent?

I've got two tents and I've got two buildings on my property (the house and the garden shed).  I should move one of the tents out to the garden shed ASAP, so that in case the house burns down I'll at least have a tent.  BUT my gasoline storage is in the shed, and because of those new California-approved gas cans, the entire shed stinks of fumes.  Is that going to eat up a good nylon tent?

(Yes, I know, Old Grouch sells REAL gas cans.  Money for that will come along later in the year.)

Offline mootz

• Prepper
Re: gas fumes & nylon tents
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
That's a good question.  How about buying a cheapie Walmart tent and test it? I for one would be interested in the outcome.  I think it would be a one way trip for the tent because I doubt you'll ever get rid of the smell.  Of course, that's assuming that slight leakage would occur with the containers you used.  I can tell you that the metal cans with the O-ring seal seem to be the best because I store one in my Suburban- no smell noticed.  This is opposed to the plastic one that I had in there before that swelled with heat and would smell up the place.  I imagine a nice cool shady place to store the tent with the containers would make it last longer.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: gas fumes & nylon tents
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »
Hah!  Interesting converse thought: put tent into metal ammo box.  Got one the right size already.

Thanks, mootz, for shaking loose my brain this morning and getting me thinking inside the box.