Author Topic: Help me think Entrepreneurially, please!  (Read 24292 times)

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Help me think Entrepreneurially, please!
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »
Since you mentioned WordPress earlier, you may find this http://wphacks.com/how-to-find-wordpress-freelance-work/ useful.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:01 AM »
One of the most unexpected work at home successes I came across was a co-worker whose husband was a Star Wars fanatic.  He started collected the action figures and then eventually selling a few, then buying in bulk and selling at high price later.  He ended up quitting his programming job and went fulltime collecting and reselling.  He either recognized what would eventually become popular and bought it in bulk when it came out, or found others selling items much below niche market prices.  He also expanded beyond just Star Wars but used his knowledge of the collector field to make good buys and resell on eBay for a good profit.

We have a friend who is expert in quilting.  So good that she does a lot of work just finishing other quilters projects.  I imagine that could be done for other things such as sewing, knitting and crocheting but a large project such as a quilt can bring in a few hundred bucks in one project.  Can there ever be too many individualized baby quilts?  Not just with embroidered names but by the fabric selected.  In fact, some ladies are no doing good internet business just selling sets of fabric squares to make quilts; preselected fabric for various color schemes and themes. My wife does this herself selecting fabric with teddy bear pilot theme (Air Force baby so some fabric is blue and white like clouds, small airplane print, etc.), elephants, cats, turtles, cowboys and horses, bears, camo, and on and on.  Other ladies are designing fabric for quilting or sewing.

Can you fix things?  Seems to be an endless need to repair stuff, at least that which can be repaired.  Older sewing machines is another guys business. Also people will pay top dollar for unique things that are made from notable local materials, or are customized in some fashion.  I've known people that make fishing flies (ENDLESS variety and opinion), fishing lures, custom/traditional bows, strings, arrow spines and vanes, stone arrow heads even. 

For several years one of my daughters worked for a company that has a contract with a state for doing in home child assessments.  I think this was for like welfare and special needs or something.  They hired people to do the home visits but they also needed a couple of people to clean up their reports into the format the state requires.  She worked totally at home, even wrote a training manual for the field evaluators on writing good reports, and devised a spreadsheet to collect the coded data and turn it into correct narrative.  There are only a few companies that have contracts with the state but might be something to consider.   

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:58:24 AM by NWPilgrim »

Offline kames

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
Possibly find a way to make things for small homesteads.   A lot of the farm catalogs are geared towards BIG operations and don't make some things sized or priced for small operations.

Once example I saw recently was that someone was buying mini color colored zip strips from a bulk provider like http://www.cabletiesplus.com/Products/4-Miniature-Cable-Ties-%2818-lb%29-%28Colors%29__CP-4-18-C.aspx and would then repackage and sell them on ebay as chicken leg bands.  The bulk price was $13/1000 and the guy is selling them for $10.50 for 100.

Thoughts.. making a drinking system that feeds off rain barrels for chickens or livestock, Small sprouting systems, basically go through some of the DIY forums and see what is popular and then realize some people don't have the time or skills to do it themselves.   Do the more expensive ones on a commission only basis (aka they have to order it THEN you make it).  The lighter weight ones will be more popular since the shipping cost will be less.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
I also live in a remote area with the largest town being an hour away, best place to be but makes earning a living harder. I am often a little jealous of city slickers because there are so many ways of making money in larger cities, I still wouldn't trade though.

The good news is that USPS picks up and delivers almost everywhere. I sell thousands of dollars worth of stuff on Ebay, and it is the single best way to make money I have found for the average person. I play farmer through the growing season and part things in the winter to sell on Ebay and other places.

You can easily make $20 an hour on Ebay, and if you really get a good niche and know what you are doing the sky is the limit. You can literally go dumpster diving and make more money than most people, I have tried it and I have to travel to get to the dumpsters. Anything with parts is worth a shot, dead appliances sell the knobs off them, the motors, the working parts. Same with vehicles, pull off anything in good shape and list it. I prefer using fixed price listings through the store format. I could literally write a book about this, if this interests you I would be happy to help. I have sold on Ebay for over a decade, and have been fully self employed for over two years, although Ebay is only part of what I do.

Being remote doesn't matter as much when your business is online. Depending on if you have acreage I would have other ideas, although Texas climate adds challenges I am not used to.

nkawtg

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
All I have is a word of encouragement; Stepping out of your comfort zone and asking for help is huge. Most people will just ponder what could have been.

Offline rabelch

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2014, 03:53:42 PM »
This is a good post, TXgal.  Thank you for suggesting it.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 02:15:26 AM »
5 minutes with Jack series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm7K34OgNqA
I think there are 20 or 30 episodes.

I assume you are watching the duck chronicles?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F1YJi-6ygk

Obviously you will have to be self-employed; a creator.
Providing proeucts, services or information.
You'll have to employ guerrilla marketing:
http://gmarketing.com/
Originally written for mail order, newer books deal with the internet.

One of my sons makes a great living providing an internet presence for businesses, and some marketing.
Not cheap, to get it up and running, including billing, server storage, websites and all is about $5,000 and you'll need another $5,000 to pay the bills the first year until you get enough customers to make a profit.
But you can start small, make your own website and grow from there.  That's almost free.

You could create a business involving "after school tutoring" online.
Jack has done episodes on how the future of education is from brick and mortar to the internet.
You could use skype for 2-way interaction.
http://www.skype.com/en/

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 04:29:31 AM »
This is an older thread so I'm not sure if txgal is still monitoring it or has found a niche...but with her skills I'd suggest the possibility of being a virtual assistant (VA). 

It's a work from home job, you set your own hours (not only the number if hours but also the client typically doesn't care WHEN you do the work as long as you get it done) and you can have multiple clients.

Actually as a professional full time blogger I've been wanting to hire a VA myself to do some research, send out pitch letters, enter my posts into roundups, create & send a newsletter...and I know a lot of other bloggers who would be interested as well.

Offline Ezza Kezza

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 11:05:01 PM »
TxGal
It has been 2 years since you wrote this post, I'm wondering how you are going now, and if you implemented any of the suggestions, or if you are even still following this post?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 03:43:31 PM »
TxGal
It has been 2 years since you wrote this post, I'm wondering how you are going now, and if you implemented any of the suggestions, or if you are even still following this post?

Profiles says, last active in January .. alot of people come and go