Author Topic: Turkey Hunting  (Read 3882 times)

Offline hbprepper

• Prepper
  • I like pies!
Turkey Hunting
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »
Hi Folks,

There are an increasing number of wild(ish) turkeys in my area that are considered a pest species.  There aren't any season restrictions here so was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best time of year for Turkeys?

I have heard that at certain times of the year the meat isn't at its best, is this correct?

Thanks.

HB

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Turkey Hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »
You had better check closely,

a state that has turkeys and does not have a controlled season is almost unheard of.

Most states that have turkey have paid dearly to have them transplanted from other areas and make big bucks by licensing them as big game.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
I agree, don't go out and try bagging one without looking into your state regulations. Most wildlife departments have some hefty fines and jailtime involved in any poaching (any illegal harvest of game).  The way I understand it is the game laws have some real "teeth" to them making it something you really want to be carful with. On the other hand turkey hunting is a lot of fun. It is one of my favorite times of year! It's a lot more action packed than sitting in a tree stand and freezing your buns off waiting for a whitetale. All the turkeys I have taken have tasted great. As long as you marinade it in something and don't over cook it I think you will like it.  I also have had the white meat cut into strips and deep fried and that was obviously more than adequate.  Good luck and have fun! Season in my part of Oklahoma is usually April 6 to May 6 which is during the breeding season and they will answere and come to a call. 

Offline hbprepper

• Prepper
  • I like pies!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 12:28:45 AM »
You had better check closely, a state that has turkeys and does not have a controlled season is almost unheard of.

I agree, don't go out and try bagging one without looking into your state regulations.

Not in the USA ;-)

No issue with taking turkey's here.

Thanks for the advice though.

Offline Finster

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 04:11:54 AM »
I also have wild turkeys on my land and on my neighbours Beef station, I have been reliably informed from a local Kiwi who does a fair bit of hunting, is that you are better hunting them in months with an r in them. This is due to the taste of the meat I however might suggest that you should try when the opportunity presents its self.

I am originally a pom so getting into the Kiwi hunting and fishing is new to me, so when fishing for snapper and catching Kawhai I was told that it was only worth as bait and trow it back. How wrong was that local knowledge . Filleted and marinated in fresh ginger /garlic /coriander leaves advocado oil and BBQ 7 mins each side was the best fish I have eaten

Cheers Finster

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
Not in the USA ;-)

No issue with taking turkey's here.

Thanks for the advice though.

What state are you claiming has no regulations specifically?  Turkey season in my state (MO) is both short and highly regulated.  My friends in FL have a long season comparatively but there are still limits and regulations.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
These guys are apparently in Australia or New Zealand. 

Asking information without revealing what hemisphere one occupies seems to be carrying opsec a bit far.

Lets just say that our seasons over here, where the turkey is native species, are restricted to short periods in the fall and spring to preserve the birds reproductive cycles and increase populations.  I understand that those seasons are reversed down under as well as the commodes swirling in the wrong direction.

One will discover that the taste of the meat is more influenced by the food the birds have access too than the letters in the name of the month.

Offline hbprepper

• Prepper
  • I like pies!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 04:35:39 AM »
What state are you claiming has no regulations specifically?

As I said, not in the USA so no state rules apply  :)  Turkeys are not classed as game birds here so do not fall under the regulations for seasons and bag limits etc like ducks.

As mortblanc picked up, it's the Southern Hemisphere so we do things a little differently. 

Offline racer038

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 04:52:33 AM »
There are five subspecies of North American wild turkey: Eastern, Osceola, Rio Grande, Merriam’s, and Gould’s. If you are hunting a subspecies different than these, it would be helpful if we knew what it was.  "Turkey" might be "Turkey Vulture" and I wouldn't eat one of them in ANY month.