Author Topic: 1986 Honda VFR 700 Rebuild  (Read 43590 times)

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
Re: 1986 Honda VFR 700 Rebuild
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
well... sadly the project is dead. pistons are shot and all cylinders need to be re-bored... too cost prohibitive at this point to do anything. Looks like I'm parting it out.

:(  well that sucks.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2015, 10:35:36 PM »
:(  well that sucks.

Yeah, but I've already sold the front tire/rim and left mirror for $80 so... looks like I'm going to be making some money off of this. It will probably end up being more than enough to cover the bike and tools I bought along the way, so I'm a happy guy.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »
Yeah, but I've already sold the front tire/rim and left mirror for $80 so... looks like I'm going to be making some money off of this. It will probably end up being more than enough to cover the bike and tools I bought along the way, so I'm a happy guy.

And you learned a lot. So even if you lost money on it, the learning experience is good.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »
And you learned a lot. So even if you lost money on it, the learning experience is good.

Which is what I planned for. If I were to sign up for a shop class at the local community college I'd probably have spent close to $200 after fees, gas, and time driving there. This way I got to do it on my own time, I did learn a lot, and I got a few new tools out of the deal as well.

While I'm disappointing that I won't get to see it running it is a relief to know where it stands, know that I can help other bikers get parts for this bike, and free up some space in my garage.

The way this has already gone though I think I'm going to make money. $80 from one guy for two parts, another guy wants the seat for $50 plus a few other parts that I have to find and get a price for. I may have a new hobby of buying project bikes, breaking them down and selling off the parts.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »
Which is what I planned for. If I were to sign up for a shop class at the local community college I'd probably have spent close to $200 after fees, gas, and time driving there. This way I got to do it on my own time, I did learn a lot, and I got a few new tools out of the deal as well.

While I'm disappointing that I won't get to see it running it is a relief to know where it stands, know that I can help other bikers get parts for this bike, and free up some space in my garage.

The way this has already gone though I think I'm going to make money. $80 from one guy for two parts, another guy wants the seat for $50 plus a few other parts that I have to find and get a price for. I may have a new hobby of buying project bikes, breaking them down and selling off the parts.

Don't forget scrap value of what is left..

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2015, 08:49:59 PM »
Well, I've made back my initial expense and have plenty of bike left to go. Sold close to $275 worth of stuff and I have a guy coming down this weekend to take most of the rest away for $350. He doesn't need the frame or the engine and I think I can probably get between $200-300 for those parts, more if I'm patient. Not bad for a $200 initial investment!

Even better is I found a bike for sale cheap since it's not running and the owner isn't a mechanic and doesn't want to mess with it. From the symptoms described I think it's a very easy fix that I could probably take care of in a day. I'm hoping to look at it within the next couple of days. If it's what he say's it is then maybe I'll offer to get this out of his garage so he doesn't have to walk around it anymore.