Author Topic: respiratory tract infection medications?  (Read 18170 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
respiratory tract infection medications?
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:34:54 AM »
hi! I discovered what maybe a small hole on my preparedness medications.
I do not think i am good at the respiratory tract infections meds. (especially the Upper part)

So what woudl a proper stored med package be?
Menthols - OK
Lysopaine lozenges - OK   
Mucinex etc - do not store, it is widespreadly available but it is in my " a quarter to 12" disaster shopping list
Nasal Spray - OK
Antibiotics - I have secured Amoxicillin and Augmentin (those are the ones usually prescribed locally).

What else?

Disclaimer: i am not talking self-administration, i am talking storage of the said meds.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:40:54 AM by GreekMan »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: respiratory tract infection medications?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:08:53 AM »
hi! I discovered what maybe a small hole on my preparedness medications.
I do not think i am good at the respiratory tract infections meds. (especially the Upper part)

I just found that hole. I now have LOTS of cough drops. LOTS of Vit C. Already had tea, lemon juice and honey, but that was LOVELY to have (hot steamy drinks/showers helps).. and I was recently prescribed inhalers, (which taste like paint I discovered), but I think questionably help. Z has asthma, so they help him with this cold moreso than me. Also get that cough drop recipe I posted a week or so back.

Antibiotics - I have secured Amoxicillin and Augmentin (those are the ones usually prescribed locally).

The antibiotics may not help you for what you think might be a respiratory tract infection. I have had one for nearly a month now, and it is VIRAL, not a secondary bacterial infection. So antibiotics would not help. The doctor told me, 'rest and time and don't cough on anyone', is what patches you up, not antibiotics (she would have given me some, but we both decided it was not good in this case). And she said it might take me three weeks to get over it. I am still not quite over it yet, which is why I am up this time of the morning. Sitting up so I am not coughing, eating my 4 millionth cough drop this month.

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »
indeed if it is viral....
But i read that in many cases (especially pneumonia) the cause is bacterial (streptococus).
But this is for a doctor to resolve, my intend is to have the means at hand.

Funny thing is that during lunch i caught something on the news.
That doctors over here - considering the flu outbreak- are getting very aggressive and prescribe antibiotics from day one, without waiting for tests to establish the cause. they say that the first two days are the most important
(let alone the secondary infections)
Things are far more serious than the eastern born viruses/flu.
We are counting 85 dead since, and that i a big number compared to other years.

BTW it is unknown what will happen with the pharmacies strike overhere. one more reason to store basic everyday meds.
I think i should move some more meds from the "justincase" list to the "tobuy" list

Cedar, good catch on the vitamin C (again). I only have less than a tube of the fizzling kind.
I will put it in my list.

Offline TheMedicShack

• Prepper
  • Grumpy old firearms bearing medic heathen
    • The Medic Shack
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
Bacterial vs viral is diffiuclt with out a microscope. But it can be done. Viral infections are wide spread with symptons all over the body. Bacterial is localized where the infection is. On respiratory infections the phlegm will tell you. Viral is normally clear to cloudy white,. Bacterial is yellow, gree, brown or even bloody. Hope this helps.

Chuck
The Medic Shack

endurance

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
Coughs have always been my Achilles heel, so I've always prepped with what works for me, Mucinex, cough drops (lozenges), and garlic.  Without those, I'm done for.  I've nearly landed in the hospital before when I haven't been able to control a cough.  Thanks mom and dad for smoking five packs a day between the two of you while I was growing up!

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
Edurance, I'm in the same boat with you on respiratory infections. If you are interested at all in herbal options, I would keep elderberry tincture on hand at all times. Alcohol-based tinctures have an indefinitely shelf life, but you may wish to shake them if they are more than a few years old. If you look up elderberry on Pubmed, you will see entry after entry on it's effectiveness against respiratory viruses. Another tincture to keep on hand would be oregon grape root, as it's demonstrated significant antibiotic abilities that I recommend everyone to have on hand as bacteria cannot develop a resistance to it. This is a bit over simplified, but it has a mechanism by which is shuts of the bacteria's ability to pump the oregon grape root out.

As far as decongestants, you could make a Rosemary Gladstar's "fire cider" recipe. It's an old traditional oxymel (herbed vinegar mixed with honey) that's made from apple cider vinegar, onion, garlic, horseradish, and cayenne. I add turmeric and sliced lemons in mine. There's a great video of how Rosemary makes it on YouTube, as well as in her books. It's shelf stable for several months, but if you keep it in your fridge it will last much longer.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 07:21:37 PM »
Edurance, I'm in the same boat with you on respiratory infections. If you are interested at all in herbal options, I would keep elderberry tincture on hand at all times.

I make a Blue Elderberry syrup, but I might try your elderberry tincture this year. I didn't get to make any Elderberry syrup last year, so I was 'saving' mine for a really bad scenario.. and I should have taken it...  :banghead: I have been sick a month with a cough.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »
I have two elderberry bushes that have been struggling since I put them in.  I knew I planted them for a reason.  Thanks for the reminder of why.  It might just be too dry where I live. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »
Codeine and hydrocodone suppress the cough reflex like nothing else.  If, like me, you've coughed so long and hard that you threw up or passed out, you'll definitely appreciate the relief. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14:35 PM »
Unless you are sensitive/allergic to them like I am..  :-\

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 02:07:11 AM »
Codeine and hydrocodone suppress the cough reflex like nothing else.  If, like me, you've coughed so long and hard that you threw up or passed out, you'll definitely appreciate the relief.
unless the cough works to eject mucus that would be kept in the lungs?

endurance

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 04:42:14 AM »
I've used codeine cough syrup several times and I'm not sure why, but it gives me a tickle in the back of my throat that exacerbates the cough rather than suppresses it.

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
I make a Blue Elderberry syrup, but I might try your elderberry tincture this year. I didn't get to make any Elderberry syrup last year, so I was 'saving' mine for a really bad scenario.. and I should have taken it...  :banghead: I have been sick a month with a cough.

Cedar

Is it a wet cough or a dry cough?  The elderberry is wonderful to address the infection (as well as use as a preventative). But there are herbs that help to dry up wet coughs, and others that soothe dry coughs.

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »
About those coughs and using expectorants, I make a tea blend in my practice I dubbed "Herbal Tussin". Here's the recipe:

4 parts hyssop flower
    3 parts mullein leaf
    3 parts slippery elm
    2 parts elecampagne root
    1 part colt’s foot (aerial parts)
    1 part marshmallow root
    1 part spearmint leaf
    1 part clove
    1 part licorice root
    1 part thyme leaf

With the exception of the licorice, these herbs are not known as being common allergens. Of course, you can be allergic to just about anything, but these typically do not trigger allergic reactions. Licorice, on the other hand, can cause swelling in joints, and quite a few people are sensitive to it. If your not, then it's a great addition to any cough remedy.

However, the magic in this recipe really comes from the hyssop. This isn't anise hyssop, but Hyssopus officinalis. It's a wonderful expectorant. It is, however, contraindicated during pregnancy. (Have to include that since anyone could read this entry at some point.)

endurance

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »
Cool, Hyssop is another thing doing well in my garden!

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 03:10:07 PM »
Unless you are sensitive/allergic to them like I am..  :-\

That's a bummer if you can't take either one.  Like many people, I don't tolerate codeine, but the hydrocodone is a better suppressant and doesn't cause me more than a little itching, which is typically why an antihistamine is usually added to the syrup preparations.

unless the cough works to eject mucus that would be kept in the lungs?

It's the persistent dry coughs that don't produce mucus that benefit from these strong cough suppressants.  You easily get into this spiral where you're coughing because the upper airway irritation stimulates the cough reflex, but all the coughing does is produce more irritation, rather than bringing up any mucus.

I've used codeine cough syrup several times and I'm not sure why, but it gives me a tickle in the back of my throat that exacerbates the cough rather than suppresses it.

Codeine seems to be more trouble than it's worth for a lot of people.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »
About those coughs and using expectorants, I make a tea blend in my practice I dubbed "Herbal Tussin". Here's the recipe:

4 parts hyssop flower
    3 parts mullein leaf
    3 parts slippery elm.....

Thank you!! This is quite like my recipe, which is in my spiral notebook, which I have NO IDEA where it is in storage for the last year.

Cedar

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 09:15:53 PM »
Thank you!! This is quite like my recipe, which is in my spiral notebook, which I have NO IDEA where it is in storage for the last year.

Cedar

You're welcome.  :D 

When I make it for myself, I leave out the licorice. I typically react to it.  Cold & flu season is *almost* over, but we're not entirely out of the woods yet. So, I thought it might be of use to post it.

Also, if I could make a recommendation, check out two books by Stephen Harrod Buhner. One is Herbal Antibiotics and the other is Herbal Antivirals. I'm in the middle of writing a book review on the antibiotic book, but I've read both. Personally, I think they belong on every prepper's bookshelf. They are based on solid research and experience. None of it is theoretical, and there is zero fluff. It's going to be growing season soon, so it's time to start thinking if you want to grow medicinal herbs and which ones.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
Is it a wet cough or a dry cough? 

It depends on the moment *sigh*

Cedar

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »
It depends on the moment *sigh*

Cedar

Well, the tea blend I posted should help with that cough either way. However, if you find that it's just too much phlegm, add some sage. It helps to dry thing up.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 09:43:50 PM »
Thanks muchly. +1

Cedar

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »

4 parts hyssop flower
    3 parts mullein leaf
    3 parts slippery elm
    2 parts elecampagne root
    1 part colt’s foot (aerial parts)
    1 part marshmallow root
    1 part spearmint leaf
    1 part clove
    1 part licorice root
    1 part thyme leaf

With the exception of the licorice, these herbs are not known as being common allergens. Of course, you can be allergic to just about anything, but these typically do not trigger allergic reactions. Licorice, on the other hand, can cause swelling in joints, and quite a few people are sensitive to it. If your not, then it's a great addition to any cough remedy.

However, the magic in this recipe really comes from the hyssop. This isn't anise hyssop, but Hyssopus officinalis. It's a wonderful expectorant. It is, however, contraindicated during pregnancy. (Have to include that since anyone could read this entry at some point.)

YIKES- I totally forgot about the last ingredient. Add 1 part of whole cloves!!!!!  Trust me, this helps with the pains from the coughing, and it makes it taste fabulous! This is a naturally sweet blend, but feel free to add honey if you like.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 11:21:35 PM »
This explains what I've had the past month. Sleep with two pillows. Has helped with the coughing at night. Looking into those herb books mentioned. Have several of those seeds. Need to get them planted.
That "fire cider" recipe sounds fiery...
Have tried tablespoon of apple cider vinegar plus tablespoon of honey with cup of hot water before bed as giving some help.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »
Since I have a compromised immune system I have more than my share of crud especially with two grandkids so this past fall I started researching herbal cures in depth and ways to help my immune system overcome especially for a true flu situation.

The simplest of our home remedies has been star anise.  A little spice readily available (I buy mine at Penzey's Spice store or online).  Star anise according to my research  "plays a starring role in one of the most sought-after drugs on the planet: Tamiflu".  Make sure to use Chinese star anise (not Japanese star anise as it is poisonous).

I added to a mason jar about 1-1/2 cups of raw unfiltered honey and 4 star anise.  Set it in a sunny window and turned it over every other day for about two weeks (you can speed the process by gently warming on the stove in a pan of low simmering water - do not overheat the honey or you will kill the good stuff).  At the onset of colds, flu or general yuck we've been drinking tea with a spoonful of the honey/star anise mixed in.  A month ago when we both were sick I would sometimes just get a spoonful.  It soothed my throat and it was the fastest I ever got over a cold/flu. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
This explains what I've had the past month.

Did you have the flu before the cough? The H1N1 (or something) typically runs 8 days, but then there is the Part 2. You are well for a couple days and then start to get this cough which gets worse and worse, and turns into the upper respiratory infection (which is still viral). I literally have had this since February 12th. I had the flu on January 28th-ish. It is this second part people are dying from (just like with the Spanish Flu in the early 1900's) as it turns into Bronchitis (like I have) and/or pneumonia (which thankfully I don't have). So if you have it, take care of yourself.

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »
The simplest of our home remedies has been star anise.  A little spice readily available (I buy mine at Penzey's Spice store or online).  Star anise according to my research  "plays a starring role in one of the most sought-after drugs on the planet: Tamiflu".  Make sure to use Chinese star anise (not Japanese star anise as it is poisonous).

I added to a mason jar about 1-1/2 cups of raw unfiltered honey and 4 star anise.  Set it in a sunny window and turned it over every other day for about two weeks (you can speed the process by gently warming on the stove in a pan of low simmering water - do not overheat the honey or you will kill the good stuff).  At the onset of colds, flu or general yuck we've been drinking tea with a spoonful of the honey/star anise mixed in.  A month ago when we both were sick I would sometimes just get a spoonful.  It soothed my throat and it was the fastest I ever got over a cold/flu.

Now why did you have to tell us this?

Star Anice is one of the flavorings of Greek Ouzo...Forget the honey stuff... Let's get drunk!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 01:33:20 PM »
Now why did you have to tell us this?

Star Anice is one of the flavorings of Greek Ouzo...Forget the honey stuff... Let's get drunk!

I thought it was "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" but if Ouzo makes you well (and happy while doing so) I say go for it.  We expect a full report of how much Ouzo was medicinal and all of it's consequences.   ;)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 02:52:09 PM »
I thought it was "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" but if Ouzo makes you well (and happy while doing so) I say go for it.  We expect a full report of how much Ouzo was medicinal and all of it's consequences.   ;)
considering that the same therepy is used of bad molars (mouthwash) I am sure it will also work.
I do not know if it aleviates the syptom or you just forget about them.

Seriously now, a form of Ouzo was used for medicial purposes by Greek monks in the Byzantium era.
It was stated -by a doctor- in a convention on wine but I did not pay further attention on the time

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 02:58:40 PM »
how did i forget!!!!!

There is a local concoction with honey, ouzo and cinnamon. it is called Rakomelo

http://www.ospriathomas.gr/portal/proionta/raki/rakomelo-detail

Rakomelo from Amorgos is the mixing of Cretan raki with honey and other spices . Since ancient times , the inhabitants of Amorgos and small Cyclades were making a traditional drink to treat their guests and guests at the weddings of their children. The beverage was named " Baked Raki " or " Raki " . This drink also is the official treat of visitors to the monastery of Panagia Chozoviotissas Amorgos . It consists of grape spirit , honey and herbs without any preservative . Rakomelo is the perfect drink after causing euphoria and happy mood , boosts libido and is suitable after lunch when it acts as a digestive because of the honey and herbs available . Served warm, at room temperature and cold.

Analysis of components rakomelo

Cretan Raki : The word raki has Turkish origins and not very different from the so-called Greek raki . Also snaps fragrance in Crete called raki . Originated by distillation and contains 37 % alcohol. 1 dose raki yields 170 kcal.

Honey: Honey is composed in 70-80 % of sugars , mainly glucose and fructose and has high nutritional value since it is absorbed directly by the body . They identified more than 180 different substances in honey make it one of the most valuable foods . Water content of 16 %, 18 organic acids , proteins and amino acids , enzymes , minerals in small quantities ( potassium , calcium, magnesium, iron , etc.) , protein complexes , vitamins ( B2 , B6 , C, D, E , pantothenic acid , folic acid , etc. ) , natural flavorings etc.

Honey has energy and nutritional value . 1 tablespoon attaches to the human body 64 kcal. The mineral elements in honey play an important role in general metabolism and the metabolism of alcohol after apallazei the body from alcohol more quickly , especially if combined with lemon juice , and involved in many enzyme systems . The coexistence of the synergies and the way in which they act all these ingredients together are the reasons that make this food so special and important . The beneficial properties of honey involving many body systems such as the cardiovascular and circulatory system , anemia , liver , kidney and stomachoenterikes disease .

Cinnamon : Used since ancient times because it has pharmacological , therapeutic properties and antimicrobial abilities and is a great antioxidant, neutralizing free radicals of the body that cause damage to cells and tissues . The active ingredient in cinnamon has been shown to belong to polyphenols also have antioxidant capacity . This substance mimics insulin activates cellular insulin receptors and acts within the cells in synergy with insulin. Studies have shown that cinnamon has a beneficial effect on the improvement of type 2 diabetes but also improves cholesterol as elevated levels of glucose , triglycerides and general blood lipids but also for long-term prevention of various diseases such as heart disease , kidney disease , neuropathy and retinopathy . Yet of course , experts say it is too early to define the cinnamon as a remedy for diabetes because it requires additional investigation.
In conclusion , rakomelo is one of the healthiest beverages of Greek culture and civilization since it has a very important and beneficial properties for the human body . Rakomelo also because of its curative properties to it, when it is hot raki readily absorbed by the body , opens the airways and improves the sniffles and colds . But it needs attention to consumption because it can yield large amount of calories the large consumption of the body and in addition will accompany us and a possible headache or dizziness .

And honey is always good for soothing the tired throat

and a recipe to make:
http://snapguide.com/guides/make-greek-rakomelo/

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 05:20:24 PM »
Okay I'm sold.  I am adding this one to my homemade cold remedy recipes.  Thanks for sharing.  I wonder what would happen if you used Ouzo for a base in say, an elderberry tincture replacing the vodka? Or I have one cold remedy that is good quality cinnamon steeped for 14 days in a high quality brandy (I add it to my tea with the honey/star anise when feeling yuck).  Hmmm, time for trial and error.

I'm off to the liquor store. 8)