Author Topic: respiratory tract infection medications?  (Read 18165 times)

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: respiratory tract infection medications?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »
Sauna! Breathing essential oils thrown on the rocks cures most anything I've caught. Can't recommend it enough!

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »

How about a little tea tree oil in a steam atomizer?

kiteflyer

http://www.livestrong.com/article/120251-tea-tree-oil-uses-nasal/

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
Great suggestion kiteflyer. Will try that for my congestion at night. Have to breath through my mouth and wife complains about my snoring.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 02:09:46 AM »
Okay I'm sold.  I am adding this one to my homemade cold remedy recipes.  Thanks for sharing.  I wonder what would happen if you used Ouzo for a base in say, an elderberry tincture replacing the vodka? Or I have one cold remedy that is good quality cinnamon steeped for 14 days in a high quality brandy (I add it to my tea with the honey/star anise when feeling yuck).  Hmmm, time for trial and error.

I'm off to the liquor store. 8)

well, ouzo/tsipourois used as a dillutor for herbal medicine over here. but i kinda do not know if what you call tinctures meant to be digested or used topically on skin...
Just a need for a distinctions. tsipouro is distilled from the grapes' skins (and mash) after they are removed from the wine making process. Ouzo us a distilled mixture of the spices and ethanol mix.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 05:18:56 AM »
     On a YouTube video, Patriot Nurse recommended stocking up on Mucinex. It's basically 400mg. of Guafanesan, and acts to break up mucus in the lungs. It's an expectorant. Her advise is to keep the crud and drainage from building up and acting as a breeding ground for serious conditions like pneumonia. I buy the generic and have found that on mornings when I'm coughing like a 90 year old, it really helps to remove the cause.
     Since childhood I've always used the old brandy, hot tea, honey and lemon remedy. I've found that horehound candy helps with a cough as does sucking on licorice drops. Of course this only treats the symptoms, but sometimes that's enough to give yourself rest to heal. I now get a pneumonia vaccine shot and the shingles vaccine. I've had both and would prefer not to ever go through either again (I'm all for home remedies and know that some look on vaccines with disdain; to each his own).

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
So the DW watched some Dr. Oz show last month where he recommended a South African remedy:
Umckaloabo  for bronchial infections/congestion.

Background here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0014902/

Basically a geranium family plant.  One of the potential side effects was intestinal discomfort.

While it did work very well to loosen up the bronchial and nasal tract when I was sick, it played absolute HELL on my intestinal system for 3-4 days after. And that was just taking 1 dose.

So I offer it here as a "use at your own risk" YMMV.

Offline austin

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »
ginger root natural antibiotic

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 03:12:28 PM »
ginger root natural antibiotic

Another great one.

And I add my welcome austin.  Please drop by the Intro Thread on the Front Porch and say hello there to all. 

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »
stocking up on Mucinex. It's basically 400mg. of Guafanesan, and acts to break up mucus in the lungs.
You can also find a generic for it at the Dollar Tree which has the same 400mg. 15 tablets for $1.

The tea tree oil in the humidifier seems to be helping with my congestion at night.

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 10:49:43 AM »
I added to a mason jar about 1-1/2 cups of raw unfiltered honey and 4 star anise.  Set it in a sunny window and turned it over every other day for about two weeks (you can speed the process by gently warming on the stove in a pan of low simmering water - do not overheat the honey or you will kill the good stuff).  At the onset of colds, flu or general yuck we've been drinking tea with a spoonful of the honey/star anise mixed in.  A month ago when we both were sick I would sometimes just get a spoonful.  It soothed my throat and it was the fastest I ever got over a cold/flu.

Infused honeys make beautiful remedies. Every June, I go down to the beach here where there is a very large area covered in beach roses (rosa rugosa), and collect some of the petals to make rose-infused honey. It has wonderful properties for skin infections, but it's so soothing and calming that I think it's highest use is for those who have suffered some emotional trauma, or when you're just trying to remain the calm in the middle of a storm. Better decisions are made when calm, not panicked.

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »
and a recipe to make:
http://snapguide.com/guides/make-greek-rakomelo/

Thank you for this! While I'm thrilled that the cold & flu season is pretty much wrapped up, I look forward to taste-testing this.

Offline Herbal Prepper

• Prepper
    • Herbal Prepper
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
I wonder what would happen if you used Ouzo for a base in say, an elderberry tincture replacing the vodka? Or I have one cold remedy that is good quality cinnamon steeped for 14 days in a high quality brandy (I add it to my tea with the honey/star anise when feeling yuck).  Hmmm, time for trial and error.

Ouzo has a similar alcohol content as vodka. It should work perfectly as far as a menstruum for most dried plant material. Combined flavorwise in elderberry syrup... I'm betting it would be delicious.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 05:37:15 PM »
I can see it now:  I'm not really sick -  I'm just so enjoying the taste of this elderberry Ouzo tincture (hic hic).

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 05:43:23 PM »
And know when to toss the towel in and see your doctor. Like in my case.. 70 days of being sick. 14 days after antibiotics, I am feeling MUCH better. But to give myself some credit, I did see the doctor before.

Cedar

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »
And know when to toss the towel in and see your doctor. Like in my case.. 70 days of being sick. 14 days after antibiotics, I am feeling MUCH better. But to give myself some credit, I did see the doctor before.

Cedar

Dragged my DH to the drs. last week after he'd been really sick for 10 days with bronchitis and severe asthma.  He just couldn't shake it no matter what we tried.  Dr. really didn't do anything just offered steriods.  We stuck with the home remedies. And he's better now.

Stubbornness dear Cedar can sometimes be a curse.  Glad you are on the mend.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »
I've had a lot of luck with oregano oil in the past, but I had a respiratory infection back in December that wouldn't budge.  And I hadn't had any insurance for 6 months.  REALLY hard to interview for jobs when you're hacking up a lung.

I finally broke down and got some Fish Mox Forte, and it did work, but it pretty much wiped out all of the good bacteria as well.  So if you go that route, make sure you stock up on probiotics, however you choose to consume them.

But the oregano oil had worked really well for everything I encountered before that, and my immune system isn't what it used to be in the past few years, so I am getting sick a little more often.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »
Thanks RitaRose for the oregano oil idea also. 

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2014, 01:54:56 AM »
I can see it now:  I'm not really sick -  I'm just so enjoying the taste of this elderberry Ouzo tincture (hic hic).

caution! remedies have a limit, past which do more harm than good... ::)

stubbornness dear Cedar can sometimes be a curse.  Glad you are on the mend.

this is what happens with my father 2-3 times a year. He does not how to dress for winter, catches a big cold and self medicates with Mucinex...last time it was 2 weeks and 2 bottles of...

My regiment is to wait a bit and then go full force...

Offline TheMedicShack

• Prepper
  • Grumpy old firearms bearing medic heathen
    • The Medic Shack
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2014, 02:18:04 PM »
This week on The Medic Shack.Cat (The Herbal Prepper) and are talking about the Respiratory System. Asthma treatment, Colds and flu. Being in the beginning of the allergy seasons we are going to talk about not only the symptoms, but what about the whys. Prevention is always better than treatment,

Next week, we have a new guest on. Dr. James Hubbard MD. MPH. Dr Hubbard runs a little thing called The Survival Doctor. http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com We will talk with him and find out HIS top medical survival tips, tricks and worries.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »
Appreciate the heads up.  Will check it out. 

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »

Honey remedies are good but the main element to use is Manuka Honey with active MGO 400+..Also they sell this honey overseas that have been sterilized by radiation for burns and cuts with other abrasions. It's an ancient herb  remedy from Australia/New Zealand and is highly recommended for hard to fight organism like staph and Flu infections!  No doctor is going to treat you here in America with it that I know of!

Have some on hand at all times because the pharmacy could be gone in hard times!

kiteflyer

http://www.google.com/patents/US20130171262
        http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=GXlFAQAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA159&dq=Manuka+Honey+flu+viruse+&ots=iVnnk4sV9h&sig=L4ktLGbbySbfAzDC-u1jscMCsyw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
In my experience, respiratory/sinus infections were only cured with administration of antibiotics... The most effective for me were Erythromycin and Zithromax (Z-Pack).

GL,
TOG

Offline witch

• Prepper
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:30 AM »
Salt! A Salt gargle solution will help with many potential upper respiratory pathogens if you gargle with a warm salt water solution 3-4 times a day when you start feeling icky. It can help prevent and even improve a bacterial infection. It does nothing for viral though other than sooth the throat. It is effective on common Streptococcus and Staphylococcus bacterium, however gram negative like Klebsilla and Pseudomonas it won't help,but those are less likely than the gram positive staph and strep.

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 03:58:39 AM »

Just make sure you use purified water in the salt solutions in a neti pot!

kiteflyer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

Offline herewego

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2014, 03:19:52 PM »
Have you heard of the Acapella? It's more of an instrument that mobilizes secretions than a cure for respiratory tract infections. Basically, how it works is it causes vibrations in the lungs which in turn moves the phlegm around and allows one to cough it up. Those on prolonged bed rest (after surgery, severely ill, etc.), are at risk for pneumonia due to the fact that a lack of movement results in a build up of mucus in the lungs. The Acapella provides similar results as chest physiotherapy without having to beat the person on the chest or back. I have one for my family, and it is a preventative more than anything for us. It requires a prescription.

Another thing to consider is accurately diagnosing a bacterial infection. I think others have touched upon this also, and I'm sure it's common knowledge on this forum that antibiotics are only effective against bacterial infections. For inflammation, a humidifier of some sort is helpful. I remember being a kid and my mother would boil water, put it in a big bowl, and make me breathe it in with a towel over my head. I hated it at the time, but I am finding myself using steam for my own children now, normally through a warm mist humidifier. I will not get into types of humidifiers, I know some say cool mist is better, but I have the warm mist ones and they work for us, and I don't want to buy new ones and have these inhabit a land fill somewhere. Steam works as an anti-inflammatory and an expectorant.

Another thing is a lot of people (including me until about a year ago) don't realize how many things can cause a build up of mucus. I'm talking things besides dairy. Our family, sadly (and surprisingly) has given up milk, and now consumes only a small amount of cheese on occasion, but continues to eat yogurt. A couple of weeks after we made the life-altering decision, my children's outdoor and indoor allergies disappeared. They were not exhibiting gastrointestinal distress of any kind while drinking milk, their symptoms were pulmonary. So it makes me wonder if removing milk from the diet has contributed to better pulmonary health.

And just to clear any confusion, we were consuming raw milk. And it was so delicious.

Offline indiana jones

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2014, 08:42:37 PM »
Ciprofloxacin will knock out Anthrax. I have hordes of it and replenish it often. It is something like $120 for a script in the US, but you can get the same in Mexico and Thailand and other OTC med friendly countries for around $5 or $6.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2014, 01:48:14 AM »
from a look at the  alternative medicine the defintative guide, there are many different suggestions. These include plenty of fresh air ventilation, use of echinacea, Golden seal, inhaling steam regularly, good diet, vitamins and minerals, healthy lifestyle etc. Eliminate  alcohol, milk, caffeine and excess of sugar. always drink plenty of water instead of other things. Those are just a few of the suggestions