Author Topic: Show Idea: Document prep steps  (Read 4839 times)

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
Show Idea: Document prep steps
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »
Seems to me there are four basic documents that everyone should have:

1. Life insurance
2. A will
3. Power of attorney
4. A living will

You should probably have multiple backup copies in various locations as well (paper copies, CD/flash drive scans, etc. at home, with trusted people, maybe in a safe deposit box).

At least #1 has been mentioned a couple of times on the show, but it might be a good idea to go over what they are, why you need them, where to get them, etc. on a future show. You could also fold in other docs you need to store copies of securely.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:25:15 PM by Dr. Horrible »

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Show Idea: Document prep steps
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
Experience from those in Katrina, and what I keep on a thumb
drive in my BOB:

"Sport-type" thumb drive, hung around your neck
(Each child should have their own)
CD or DVD with .pdf format scans, pwd protected is best
Offsite internet backup service (encrypted)

Scan the following:
Documents in .PDF format, photos in .JPEG format

Scanned current photos of family members
Scan of Certified copy of Birth Certificate
Scan of Social Security card
Scan of Passport
Scanned copy of DD214
Scan of Executed Wills/Trusts
Scan of latest property tax bill
Scan of recorded property deeds, real and personal (cars)
Scan of Insurance cards (home, property, life, casualty)
Scan of any current Rx, list of meds and allergies
For kids- Scanned copy of immunization record (yellow card)
List of phone numbers/addresses/account numbers
Scan of executed copy of POLST (www.polst.org) Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (replaces living will)
Run-alone copy of Firefox using CEDO w/ foxmarks bookmark synchronization (can use any computer)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:42:54 AM by doublehelix »

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:29:08 AM »
Great list! Three thoughts:

I'd also include at least one picture of the family together to prevent easy tampering. Also, I'd make sure the names of each member were physically on the picture itself, not just the file name.

I'd also put in a marriage certificate, if applicable.

Finally, note that POLST is not available in all states (including mine).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:32:25 AM by Dr. Horrible »

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:41:58 AM »
One of the most detailed and documented prep sites http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html  I use lots of the info here about keeping secured backups and equipment. Grag some coffee because it's a long site to read but very informative.

Offline Bobr3940

• Prepper
    • Gunsmith Info
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:12:16 PM »
Jack has mentioned several time that we need to keep documentation as part of our survival preps. I had been thinking about starting to document my information and had decided to spend some time this afternoon working on it. I was just about to start when I got distracted by one of my favorite websites www.lifehacker.com. I found a link to a website by Erik A. Dewey which has a great document you can download in several formats. He calls it the "The Big Book of Everything". To quote from his website "What is the Big Book of Everything? In a nutshell, it is a notebook filled with all of the information anyone could possibly need to know about you."

Check it out at http://www.erikdewey.com/bigbook.htm You can download it as an excel spreadsheet or as an adobe acrobat file.

I downloaded the excel spreadsheet so that I can modify it to meet my needs a little better, but it is an excellent start.

Sometimes slacking off and surfing the net can save you a bunch of work  ;D

Bob

Offline Ragzilla

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »
and then encrypt the whole thing.

It looks very good.  Not something you would want to fall into the wrong hands.

Winchester32

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:44:08 PM »
I feel it is imparative to have all documentation (originals) possible.  I am in the process of getting ours together.  I have all the original birth cert's, even my step-sons, and am currently working on SS cards.  I never got a copy with the correct name after I was married (10 years ago  :o), and I am missing 2 for my kids.  They were just never sent out after they were born.  I also have wills and a few other things I am assembling. 

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:26:39 PM »
I scanned everything, encryped it on my PC, made hard copies to put in my fire safe, and burned a CD and sent it to my mother that she put in her safe deposit box.

Not just for bugging out, but for something like your house burning down!

Insurance (home, car, life), account info, car titles, credit cards, loan info, birth certificates, ssn cards, wills, etc.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 12:27:39 AM »
I scanned everything, encryped it on my PC, made hard copies to put in my fire safe, and burned a CD and sent it to my mother that she put in her safe deposit box.

Not just for bugging out, but for something like your house burning down!

Insurance (home, car, life), account info, car titles, credit cards, loan info, birth certificates, ssn cards, wills, etc.

Preppers really need to make sure they have enough insurance coverage and documentation(proof of ownership ie. pictures) of their preps. Most homeowner policies have a limit of contents of the home. A years worth of supplies adds up quickly. Also try convincing your agent you had 40 cases of Spam and 300 pounds of rice in your basement or garage when they burnt to the ground. The look on their face, well...

Pictures and/or videos updated during different seasons should be kept off site and fairly current. 

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
Preppers really need to make sure they have enough insurance coverage and documentation(proof of ownership ie. pictures) of their preps. Most homeowner policies have a limit of contents of the home. A years worth of supplies adds up quickly. Also try convincing your agent you had 40 cases of Spam and 300 pounds of rice in your basement or garage when they burnt to the ground. The look on their face, well...

Pictures and/or videos updated during different seasons should be kept off site and fairly current. 

Great point.  I am actually getting an insurance rider for my firearms, once I sit down and sort through the paperwork to get it done.  :P

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:12:31 AM »

Just to follow up, if you have something of high value that might not be considered "standard" in your home, you should contact your insurer to find out how to ensure it is covered.  You might need to get a rider for it.  These riders don't cost a lot, and ensure you are covered.  This would be for things like a large gun/ammo collection, gold, silver, jewelry, maybe something like an expensive solar/wind setup, auto-start generator, etc.  Anything you have that you would think a "normal" person would think is beyond normal.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 06:59:02 PM »
we have a thread going on this topic so I'll merge these

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 08:57:29 AM »
Well, I was searching for a spreadsheet template (or link to one) to help get a nice, printable doc pack together.  I stumbled onto this thread and

Bob wrote:
I found a link to a website by Erik A. Dewey which has a great document you can download in several formats. He calls it the "The Big Book of Everything". To quote from his website "What is the Big Book of Everything? In a nutshell, it is a notebook filled with all of the information anyone could possibly need to know about you."

Check it out at http://www.erikdewey.com/bigbook.htm You can download it as an excel spreadsheet or as an adobe acrobat file.

Unfortunately, I am too late.  Someone apparently thought Mr Dewey violated a copyright, so now the info is no longer available from him.

Has anyone stumbled onto anything similar? 
Does anyone have a blank excel spreadsheet or word doc documentation pack starter that they are willing to share?

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
Re: Show Idea: Document prep steps (UPDATED)
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »
Old post, but I found pertinant info that may be useful.

Concerning the last post, you can get the files here:

http://www.erikdewey.com/bigbook.htm