Author Topic: what is your favorite chair / recliner ?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
what is your favorite chair / recliner ?
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:33:57 PM »
I am in the market for a new Recliner because I can't stand our over-soft sofas with practically no back support. 
My wife seems to like them but doesn't have an old worn-out back like me to seek change.

It seems I am in need of an Archie Bunker Chair for me to melt into at the end of a long day.  With all the cheap junk out there on the market, I was hoping to hear some reviews from you fine folks on what you have and swear by and what or whom to steer clear of.  Lazy Boy, Barka Lounger, Lane, etc...?

Any suggestions or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

FarmerJim

Re: what is your favorite chair / recliner ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:37:26 AM »
Lay z boy is great in my opinion as long as you don't go entry level! I purchased one of their "budget conscious" chairs in 2012 and I certainly wish I would have splurged a bit more, within a year it was beat to hell and that was with non daily use. They have quality product but not particularly at the lower end.

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:36:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply,  I'll have to start looking again now that the overpriced rocker/glider nursing chair is going to my sister-in-laws and a space is open again.

Offline willcarter

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »
I would like to see various pics of chair/recliner

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »
My favorite recliner is the one closest to me.  ;D

These darn things can get so expensive.  I can't help you with which brand, as I've never purchased a name brand new.  I can say they are all subjective to you (the individual) in terms of comfort, as well as expected longevity.  I have found that the name brand ones (those I've purchased used) seem to last longer.  The cheap ones tend get uncomfortable much sooner.

Best advice I can give is try them out for comfort before buying and expect to replace the cheaply made ones sooner.  As far as I'm concerned, if I can pay $200 bucks or less for a cheaply made one or $200 for a good quality used one, I'm money ahead if I have to replace it in half the time a new (more expensive) one needs to be replaced.

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:13:41 AM »
What advice I used and will share with anyone else looking to buy a new recliner.  If you want the chair to last 10 or more years, look for this:

- Better chairs have foam filling,  choose a chair with a Foam Density Rating of 1.9 or higher, up to 2.5.

- Flip the chair over in the store and look at the construction.  Hardwood  like Oak, Ash, Birch, Poplar is the Best but a lot more $$ , Plywood is a good second choice, avoid the cheap press board .  Warning, the term " All wood construction " might be code for low quality pressboard.

-  Take a good look at the Hardware.  Are there heavy duty screws and heavier steel in the assembly?  If you see any plastic or wimpy screws holding it together, keep looking.

-  Sit in the Chair you want for 5 minutes in the store and pay attention to your head position and lumbar area.  If it's a recliner, does the footrest put up easily or do you have to force it up or down?

- And lastly,  even if you're not a haggling type, ( which I'm really not ), you owe it to yourself to try to talk them down on the price, furniture is one of the most marked up things you can buy and they will pretty much always come down on the price, sometimes very significantly.

Good luck

Oh yeah, I ended up getting a Simmons because it met my criteria and so far so good.

Offline Bosham

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 01:17:53 AM »
.Find a chair that is sized to fit you, not the typical "one size fits none". Look for a newer type of chair that supports your entire leg when the footrest is up. Most models have a support gap between the thigh and the calf. That puts the weight of the leg on the calf and impedes blood flow and the risk of blood clots. A recliner that will recline flat is much better when you need to get the swelling down in your feet. A headrest that can be positioned to your height is essential for comfort! A lift recliner seems like an obvious way to go while you can still stand or be assisted to stand but they have limitations for PALS. Recliners do not come with seat cushions that provide enough pressure relief to prevent pressure sores. The seat cushion is not removable in order to add a good pressure relief cushion such as a ROHO or a gel cushion. Putting that cushion on top of the seat cushion lifts you up and can leave your arms poorly supported. The weight of your arms will eventually cause partial dislocation (subluxation) of weakened shoulders. Although lift recliners are now available in a few sizes, they are not fitted to you and as muscles weaken they may not work well. All that said, unless you are very early in your ALS, I recommend forgetting about the temporarily useful recliner and get fitted for a power wheelchair that will be adjustable for future needs. It will prevent the need to transfer to a recliner and back, give you mobility when you can no long transfer by yourself, tilt as well as recline for better comfort, support your feet to prevent painful footdrop and maintain a correct ankle/foot angle, give you an easy way to add a tray or desk. And you will need it at some point anyway! Adding the seat lift option will let it do everything a recliner does but do it better. Medicare https://thehomedweller.com/best-recliners-for-sleeping/ doesn't pay for the lift feature but spending the money you would have spent on a recliner on the lift feature would be a better choice.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
  I have a Lazy-Boy. It's a top end lift chair. I've had this now for about 5 years and so far so good. I once spent 12 weeks in it when I broke my ankle. It's hard to sleep on your side in it. Oh yes I have M.D.