Author Topic: 299 Days: The War (Book Eight Discussion)  (Read 10958 times)

Offline cruzer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
299 Days: The War (Book Eight Discussion)
« on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
Not on the 299 Days website yet but was released a couple days ago. Thank you for another great book! Got the email yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/299-Days-War-Glen-Tate-ebook/dp/B00JC5DJ4I/ref=la_B0092Y731Y_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396311109&sr=1-9

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 06:27:35 PM by cruzer »

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: 299 Days: The War (Book Eight Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 07:59:12 PM »
Read it.  Liked it.  But 8 seemed like a bit of a filler, setup for things yet to happen.  Some emotional drama that was a long time coming and done very well.  Physical danger stuff not too critical, but that's also how it's set up in the story -- it fits with the bigger picture and the role played by the characters.  While it seems "accurate" in these respects, I'd like a little action, and not just suspense.  Still, I'll keep buying. 

Offline jhop

• Prepper
  • MSB member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:37:43 PM »
I love it!  I read it in two days... now I have to go through my several months of 299 withdraw until book 9 comes out  ::)

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:54:24 PM »
I read it in one day and I enjoyed it. Honestly, it should have been combined with book 7. I understand publishing costs for hard copies is high for small publishers, but book 7 wasn't worth $10 (this one was).

Offline The FOM

• Prepper
  • If the holes don't touch, it's not a grouping.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:45:06 AM »
I loved the shout out to Josiah Wallingford as army scout.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 04:41:06 AM »
I had hoped that the quality of the writing would have greatly improved by now.  Overall I am more disappointed in book 8 than most of the previous let downs in the series. The story line really drug on for me, painfully so, in this ediion.  IMO, the phrase " 299 Days just goes to show that you don't have to be a good writer to tell a good story" from an Amazon review never held more true than with book 8.

If I had one request it would be for Heavy G to wind it up in one final book rather than milking his aufience for two more fillers. I had wanted to share this series with family and friends; however, the poor writing and grammatical errors have left me too embarrased to recommend it outside of the prepper community.

YMMV
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:46:38 AM by Bonnieblue2A »

Offline cabowabo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
Honestly, I'm ready for the story to be done.  Honestly I think this could of been a 3-4 book series. 
Other then that it was a fairly decent-good book. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:04:58 AM »
Everyone I know who's read 299 Days has the same thought about the length and number of books.

At this point I've spent over $80 in Kindle format, so I may as well see it through, but obviously for a $100 eBook budget I could have got a LOT of great reading material. While we're all complaining, clearly the marketing is effective because most of us suckers paid $0.10/page or whatever it breaks down to, and came back for more 8 times so far.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »
been waiting for the war for 7 books...

Offline Sailor Mike

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
Am really looking forward to reading "The War".  I really hope Nancy Ringman gets hers!

Offline Hypax

• Prepper
  • Non si tamen ut
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 05:33:18 PM »
Took a while to finish #8. Have to agree this should have been 3 or 4 books tops. A bit disappointed in Grants development, or lack there of. Several chapters seemed to be written just to squeeze out a few more pages.
Last chapter was a let down for me, and didn't fit the character as developed so far.
Unless book nine has an awesome number of positive reviews, its not worth the money for two more imho.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
Took a while to finish #8. Have to agree this should have been 3 or 4 books tops. A bit disappointed in Grants development, or lack there of. Several chapters seemed to be written just to squeeze out a few more pages.
Last chapter was a let down for me, and didn't fit the character as developed so far.
Unless book nine has an awesome number of positive reviews, its not worth the money for two more imho.

I have to say that I agree. I'd hate not to finish the series but..........

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 10:40:53 AM »
I dropped out after Book #4 for the reasons stated above.  But, I was in Olympia the other day, what a freakin' mess that town has become!

I was at a memorial for Boston Harbor residents who have passed on and had a great time at Burfoot Park (the Burfoots were close family friends back in the days before they turned their property over to the county as a park). On our way back through Olympia we thought we would stop for dinner before driving back to Oregon.  What a mistake!  It was "Art Walk Day: The precession of the species!"

Downtown Oly has become even more frumpy Hippie/homeless/tweakerville.  My daughter says it is known as a big Meth town now.  The streets were blocked off, and crowds seemed to be be walking around aimlessly tying up traffic.  No warning signs going into downtown that most streets were blocked off.  Looked as close to a zombie hoard as I have ever seen.

Anyone that doubts the picture Heavy G painted of Olympia politics in Books 1-3 should have seen it last weekend.  It is far worse than 299 Days portrays it. Nancy Ringman at least didn't try to gnaw off anyone's arm.  Half the people I saw on Sunday ambling the streets of Oly I suspect are about one missed meal from doing just that. Looks like most normal people (non homeless hippie or politician) have moved out of Olympia and to Tumwater and Lacey, or further. as much nostalgia as Olympia has for me, I will avoid it in future meetings with family.

I really liked books 1-3, as I think it was based on the reality of the present.  But book 4 seems to go off into fantasy land, ignored the capabilities of many rural people to fend for themselves, and got into more fluff and less substance.  It has great potential and a great start.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »
I really liked books 1-3, as I think it was based on the reality of the present.  But book 4 seems to go off into fantasy land, ignored the capabilities of many rural people to fend for themselves, and got into more fluff and less substance.  It has great potential and a great start.

The refrain "this shit is real" is misplaced at that point.  It was real when he was describing his life before waking up, but just because the story is set in an actual location and based on actual people does not make it real.  This narrative has been parrotted enough, that I believe Glen and his team actually believe things will go down as described in the books.

If you listen to his interviews carefully (there are tons linked off 299days.com), I've noticed overtime Glen has shifted from saying "this is how things could likely collapse" to "this is how things will collapse".

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
Heavy G, when's 9?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 08:38:05 PM »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »
Hey guys, I have finished book 8  -- Thanks Chad ! -- and would love to pass it on to someone who wants to read it. First to respond here can PM me their address, and I'll send it one media mail next day Im in town