Author Topic: Best Home Defense Weapon if No Gun  (Read 254140 times)

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Best Home Defense Weapon if No Gun
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
we have weapons stashed all over the house.

my aluminum t-ball bat is by the back door.
couple of cans of freeze+p
three different police batons
battle ax
mag lites. 6 & 4 cell. his & hers.
tazer in my jewelry box
a loud, protective wolf looking dog
pellet gun for the critters

i love blades, but i don't exactly trust myself with them.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2009, 06:18:12 PM »
what is freeze+p?

Also - what does your hubby think of those tazer things that are sort of like brass knuckles?  I've been wanting to ask a cop that for a while now.

dhallftworth

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »
yes I know... I was being funny... I also have weapons of somekind everywhere...

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2009, 06:25:13 PM »
I keep a Mag light next to the bed. I was talking to my brother-in-law, who is an Australian Federal Police officer, about how anybody who tried to sneak into my little hut would get a nasty surprise upside the head.

He told me, "No don't go for the head, if they survive they can turn around and sue you for attempted murder. Go for the bones in the arms and legs, you will still take them out of commission but it will be a cut and dry case of self-defense."

Or, you could just beat them to death with the flashlight...then it is your word against nobody's...

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2009, 06:32:13 PM »
Stop.

Cucuy, listen.

You can only get an authentic whatchamacallit sword for $4000.  You can also get an effective sword for $400.  No qualifiers.  An effective sword is one that makes a wound that will not make mr. bad guy smile.  Nobody's telling anybody to "skimp on their weapons".

It's clear what your opinion is about paying less for a weapon.  You prefer the more expensive weapon, and find it more efficient and far higher in quality than the $400 weapon.

If what somebody can afford is a $25 sword from bud k, then so be it.  We are not elitists on this board.  I can play a $30 guitar just as well as I can play a $2000 guitar, and my ability to wield either has absolutely NOTHING to do with the quality of the instrument.  It has only to do with my ability to play a guitar.  A $4000 sword does not a sensei make.  I'm sure that for somebody who is a connoisseur, it's not worth wasting the money to buy a "crappy" sword for any reason.  I get it.  I have a very particular kind of instrument that I will buy, and I get very passionate about it too.  But we aren't going to become connoisseurs of your trade, and that is most certainly not the point of this thread.  

Also, your very first statement (the main premise upon which you were acting) in that last post you made was already wrong.  Jack never asked us what we thought about his katana idea.  He asked us what we would use if we didn't have a gun handy.  HIS idea was a katana and/or some other weapon.  You were free to make judgments about his ideas, but that wasn't the point of the thread.  The point of the thread was to produce other ideas.  Not to tell each other how stupid the other persons ideas are due to lack of desire (or ability) to spend the kind of money necessary to have a top of the line product.

+1 for that excellent delivery. Being an admirer of Japanese culture and history I can understand the passion behind the sword, but I am also considered poor. So I get what I can afford. I have an awesome non-traditional straight samurai sword that is full tang. I have seen what it can do. It is the most expensive sword I own, but it by no means cost 1,000 dollars. I have a full tang ninja-to next to my bed which if I had to be quick about it I would feel comfortable weilding and stopping an attacker. It cost 20 bucks. It essentially is and looks like a long kitchen knife.

That and I am not expecting to fight samurai or ninjas. If I ever have either after me then it would be for some major shit. If you think expensive is better, then thats it, and you're entitled to that opinion. But it is not one everyone shares. Wars are won in the mind.

But back to the original topic...

What do others on the forum think would be a good home defense weapon besides a gun?

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
No gun . . . .

How about a can of hairspray, some PVC, and some potatoes.  Within 10 yards, a good ole potato gun will certainly work!! :)

Seriously, I was thinking my buck knife and Mag light,, But I am still kicking around the potatoe gun idea.

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
sister wolf, the hubby says:

the tasers with the barbs are designed to interfere with electrical impulses from the brain to the muscles.  that is why you see people totally lose control and drop.  the barbless tasers, like the brass knuck tasers (which i think are totally cool ;D) only inflict pain.  he said they would probally be effective on your run-of-the-mill scumbag home intruder, but not really one someone that is trained and/or can take pain.

he also added that taser international makes hand held ones (with the barbs) that are small enough to fit in a purse, and they are available in five designer colors (oooh :o).  they're made to charge for 30 secs, so you shoot, run and loose the taser.  but if you contact taser international with a police report, they will replace it.

Freeze+p is a mixture of tear gas and pepper spray.

also, he's trained in pressure point tactics.  something i wish i could retain in my brain.  i consider him my personal weapon, but when he's not around...well, i have all those toys plus a couple of pistols.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2009, 06:36:06 PM »
No gun . . . .

How about a can of hairspray, some PVC, and some potatoes.  Within 10 yards, a good ole potato gun will certainly work!! :)

Seriously, I was thinking my buck knife and Mag light,, But I am still kicking around the potatoe gun idea.

OMG, you just gave me an idea.  What about a can of hairspray and a lighter?  If it's that pressurized hairspray (what do they call that stuff?), it'd be just like having a blow torch!!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »
No gun . . . .

How about a can of hairspray and a lighter?  ;D

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »

Piss off the intruder and burn your house down!!! I love it!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:39:40 PM by darkwinter »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2009, 06:38:45 PM »

I am SO 6 seconds ahead of you.   ::)   :D

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »

Piss off the intruder and burn your house home!!! I love it!  ;D
What?! I have a fire extinguisher in my home. Don't you? For such an occasion?

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »
I am SO 6 seconds ahead of you.   ::)   :D

8) Dang it. You got me.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2009, 06:41:03 PM »
A can of hairspray and a lighter, with a fireextinguisher bayonet.  I think we have solved the issue here.   :D

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »
A can of hairspray and a lighter, with a fireextinguisher bayonet.  I think we have solved the issue here.   :D

If you really wanted to confuse the intruder you could burst him into flames then use the fire extinguisher on him.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2009, 06:42:31 PM »

Now all we need is a picture of firetoad with his mossy oak cammo and fishing hat and goggles sporting a pink variety of just such a conglomeration, and we'll be set.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
whoa there partner, lets recap:

you wanted to know what everybody thought about your katana idea. 

Um no,  ;)  What I said was,

"I won't make big case here from either and I don't need you to either just yet.  For now just suggest any weapon that can be used with a bit of why it is good for home defense.  Once this thread runs a while I will compile all the suggestions and we can run a poll, we should learn some interesting things with this one."

That is word for word from the OP, the point here is only to compile a list of alternatives for a poll to come next.  When we actually read we tend to learn things. And thanks for the moderation SW! 

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2009, 07:08:05 PM »
sister wolf, the hubby says:

the tasers with the barbs are designed to interfere with electrical impulses from the brain to the muscles.  that is why you see people totally lose control and drop.  the barbless tasers, like the brass knuck tasers (which i think are totally cool ;D) only inflict pain.  he said they would probally be effective on your run-of-the-mill scumbag home intruder, but not really one someone that is trained and/or can take pain.

he also added that taser international makes hand held ones (with the barbs) that are small enough to fit in a purse, and they are available in five designer colors (oooh :o).  they're made to charge for 30 secs, so you shoot, run and loose the taser.  but if you contact taser international with a police report, they will replace it.

Freeze+p is a mixture of tear gas and pepper spray.

also, he's trained in pressure point tactics.  something i wish i could retain in my brain.  i consider him my personal weapon, but when he's not around...well, i have all those toys plus a couple of pistols.

Sneauxball - this is a GREAT post.  +1.  I got on that website and ooohed and ahhed over color choices.  I don't know if I want black or white.  They're all so purty.  In any case, I LOVE the idea of a hand held taser.  I'm voting for that, and Freeze+p or pepper spray, and maybe a baseball bat (because I don't have a cool baton).  I know I could use all of those things, and that each combined with the other two would be plenty to knock him/her down and break his/her arms and legs.  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:13:22 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2009, 07:09:25 PM »
i have another suggestion!!!  Actually this one is from Zell Miller.  Since we now have a democratically controlled House, Senate, and a Democrat president, we can arm ourselves with Spit balls!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2009, 07:39:08 PM »
Spit balls dipped in cayenne pepper!

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2009, 08:34:35 PM »

This makes me think of something else, I don't know if there is a trade name for these things but my brother-in-law who is a Police Sergeant has told me they use a product that is basically a paint ball gun and the paint balls are full of Pepper Spray and something so foul smelling it causes vomiting.  He said he and another officer stood off a guy who was one second going to kill them the next he was going to kill himself, he was sitting on a bed with a large knife.

At some point they made the decision to use these pepper/crap ball things and each fired 3 into his upper chest (where you are supposed to because they blow up into the face, etc).  Marc said it took the fight out of the guy he ended up clutching his eyes and vomiting on himself in the fetal position.  good thing too the guy was well over 300lbs and well built.

I am going to have to ask if civilians can purchase these things,

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »
Wow that is pretty awesome!  :D And I was more than happy just to have some CS. This sounds much more fun!

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »
That and I am not expecting to fight samurai or ninjas.

speak for yourself ColdHaven!

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2009, 08:54:33 PM »
I have never used pepper spray in a confined area.  Inside the home, would pepper spray effect the homeowners as well as the intruder? I have a pretty small house.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:03 PM »
I have never used pepper spray in a confined area.  Inside the home, would pepper spray effect the homeowners as well as the intruder? I have a pretty small house.
Yep, everyone gets it. Hopefully the intruder more.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
And yes even the foam....

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »

I'm starting to like this place.  :D

So, speaking as someone with zero training or native ability with edged weapons ;D I can see one big advantage to a long(ish) sword as opposed to a fighting-type knife: there is nothing the bad guy can grab without getting himself cut.  If I'm defending myself with a several-inch knife, I have to get so close to the bad guy that, if he's got the least fighting skill, he may be able to grab my arm.  With a long edged weapon, I can keep him too far away to grab anything.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, I apologize for this digression onto serious questions, so I'll make it up to you with a weapon my wife and I dreamed up.  It's just one of those butane barbecue-lighters, the kind where the flame is out at the end of a 6 or 8 inch metal square tube.  You epoxy a bunch of double-edged razor blades along the metal tube to make it un-grabbable.  Crank up the butane to high, and you've got a few inches of flame at the end of a mini-sword.  Single-handed operation, no need for hairspray and a lighter.  Still perfectly capable of burning your own house down.  Good, no?

dhallftworth

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »

So, speaking as someone with zero training or native ability with edged weapons ;D I can see one big advantage to a long(ish) sword as opposed to a fighting-type knife: there is nothing the bad guy can grab without getting himself cut.  If I'm defending myself with a several-inch knife, I have to get so close to the bad guy that, if he's got the least fighting skill, he may be able to grab my arm.  With a long edged weapon, I can keep him too far away to grab anything.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, I apologize for this digression onto serious questions, so I'll make it up to you with a weapon my wife and I dreamed up.  It's just one of those butane barbecue-lighters, the kind where the flame is out at the end of a 6 or 8 inch metal square tube.  You epoxy a bunch of double-edged razor blades along the metal tube to make it un-grabbable.  Crank up the butane to high, and you've got a few inches of flame at the end of a mini-sword.  Single-handed operation, no need for hairspray and a lighter.  Still perfectly capable of burning your own house down.  Good, no?

and what would you name your invention?

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »
This makes me think of something else, I don't know if there is a trade name for these things but my brother-in-law who is a Police Sergeant has told me they use a product that is basically a paint ball gun and the paint balls are full of Pepper Spray and something so foul smelling it causes vomiting.  He said he and another officer stood off a guy who was one second going to kill them the next he was going to kill himself, he was sitting on a bed with a large knife.

At some point they made the decision to use these pepper/crap ball things and each fired 3 into his upper chest (where you are supposed to because they blow up into the face, etc).  Marc said it took the fight out of the guy he ended up clutching his eyes and vomiting on himself in the fetal position.  good thing too the guy was well over 300lbs and well built.

I am going to have to ask if civilians can purchase these things,

Jack, if civilians CAN purchase these things, how about another listener appreciation contest?  That would make an AWESOME prize.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2009, 10:51:07 PM »

Mr Bill, good to see you here, I need all the help I can get with you know who.

I like your weapon idea and was thinking that you could market it as a barbecue versa tool, you know light your barbecue and cut your meat. Kinda like a Swiss Army Lighter