Author Topic: The Dedicated Baofeng Radio Thread  (Read 69379 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: The Dedicated Baofeng Radio Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2014, 12:18:52 AM »
I'm about to buy a Baofeng. In my research I came upon this:

Thank you, saved it to my desktop.

Cedar - who should recharge my Baofeng, since I left it on too long the other day.
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Oakie

• Prepper
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
+1  thanks!

I'm about to buy a Baofeng. In my research I came upon this:
The (Chinese) Radio Documentation Project
High quality and in-depth User Manuals for Chinese Handheld Two-Way radios.
Free and open source documentation for everyone.

Basically it's a project done by enthusiasts who found the OEM manuals too dry, sterile, confusing? Use your own adjectives, lol so they put together their own user manual for the Baofeng UV-5R

hope it helps. The link above is a PDF file. I saved it & then printed it too just to be safe. I have a large binder where I put these types of things in case there's no internet & no power  ;) just sayin ~

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
I just used Miklor's site.

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Thanks for another site.  I'll have to check it out and see if it has anything different.
Get on the TSP Member Map
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs023/1102026465667/img/34.png[/img]

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2014, 03:33:37 PM »
UV-5R First Impression-

My Baofeng (and cable) showed up in today's mail.
1st impression was how small it is compared to the radio I use at work.
I'll start programming it after it charges :)
-Mike
My personal prepper blog
Interesting case law: Plummer v. State (of Indiana)
Zechariah 14:12 Mathew 27:52

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2014, 06:34:04 PM »
OK, after playing around more I've got my 1st image saved via chirp.

What I'm chasing, besides my tail, is how to make the Name in the Name column show up on the radio.

Also in the Skip column I chose S for my NOAA channel but it still stops on it when in Scan mode??

Other than that I'm liking this radio. Battery life is Great too!

Now I just need a better antenna & a spare battery.
-Mike
My personal prepper blog

Offline eptexas

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure (in CHIRP) there is a column that says, "NAME". It is the second column. You can enter the name, limited to 6 letters and numbers; no - , +_&...only letters and numbers.
I'm also having a hard time programming my UV-82 as well. I'm able to program and name frequencies, but that other stuff, DTCS (there are 3 of them!) and cross mode. The documentation from CHIRP and on-line frequency sites do not really help. Then, there's this thing called Narrow and Wide Band. Don't get me wrong...I get it. But do I program EVERY single channel to 2.5k? And where would I find out if a particular frequency IS narrow or Wide band?
I hope you have better luck than I did. Each time the LAPD helicopter is in my neighborhood, I switch on the UV-82 and the radio indicates there are some transmissions going on but am not able to receive any of them.
The MIKLAR site also posts the instruction manual as well as software from the Baofeng Corp but the software keeps asking for a Telist file that doesn't exist. 
Good luck.

Offline stratigus

• Prepper
  • During a disaster, the time to prepare has passed.
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »
I have a few of these radios. I had my first failure this month.
I have had one rigged up as a mobile rig in my daily driver with a 12v battery replacing adapter, "trucker" mic/speaker, and external dual-band antenna. Pretty good mobile setup for all <$80! I would recommend them, maybe not in this configuration, but you can't beat the price for the functionality!

[Debug details below, engineer mode engaged!]
This particular failure is an audio failure (no audio output at all). In my repair efforts I found a PDF of the schematic of the Baofeng UV-5R. It's my understanding that all the HW for each generation is identical (other than case) across all "variants", and I found no deviants from the HW I see in the UV-5RA I opened up compared to this schematic
This particular failure was a burned transistor (Q19) that fed power to the AF amp when squelch is broken. My guess is this got burnt due to the almost direct "battery" connection that was being fed power from my vehicle (which tends to be noisy and spikes regularly). It worked for almost a year in this configuration.
I understand the contacts in the audio/mic jacks are sometimes coated in a waterproof coating that can flake off and cause the jacks to be stuck in an indeterminate state. Electronics contact cleaner or even jamming the broken-off end of a q-tip in there a bit can solve the issue if this is the case.

The BaoFeng UV-5R Schematic:
https://ssl.qrzcq.com/pub/RADIO_MANUALS/BAOFENG/Baofeng--UV-5R-Schematic.pdf

Offline mikeB

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2014, 07:22:19 PM »
Hi.
My name is Mike, I am complete noob in two way radio communication.
I would be very grateful for any reasonable suggestion
Here is scenario of what I want to accomplish. I want to get a HAM technician licence
and buy something like Baofeng UV5R and also purchase a couple of strictly MURS radios for my wife and kid. The idea is, when we camp or hike, so my family can communicate on MURS: me through Baofeng and others on their MURS radios,  and if (knock on wood) there is an emergency, I can use Baofeng to call for help on HAM frequencies.  Would it work in this scenario? Or maybe there is a better solution. Your input will be highly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mike.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »
Mike, it will work, but you'll have to know the local repeater frequencies and tones, and have those programmed in ahead of time, and also the MURS channel frequencies.  Also, be advised that while a Baofeng can do MURS frequencies just fine, it's not actually type accepted for this band by the FCC.  That is, it's not precisely legal to talk on MURS (or GMRS, or FRS, etc.) bands with a Baofeng.  On the other hand, the odds of being caught are verrry long, so this one's up to you.

Chances are that if there's a ham repeater tower within range of a Baofeng's stock antenna, a cell phone tower's in range too.  How remote are you getting?  How far away are you getting from the family?  If it's just a half-mile or so, an FRS/GMRS pair might do about as well.  Assuming you have a cell phone and can hit a cell tower, that puts you $25 away from a complete solution.

Or are you going really deep into the wilderness?  If so there are some hang-it-high-in-a-tree 2m band antennas that can hit repeaters 25+ miles away, but we're getting into some slight engineering here.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:54 PM »
I'll second most of what Alan said, with only a minor exception at:
Chances are that if there's a ham repeater tower within range of a Baofeng's stock antenna, a cell phone tower's in range too.

I would think that this is mostly true, depending on ham activity in your area.  Around here though, there are dozens of ham repeaters, and many of them cover areas where cell towers don't.  That was a big part of my motivation to get my ham license.  My house is actually located in a cellular dead zone, but there are at least four repeaters I can hit with my little Baofeng handheld and the crappy antenna it comes with. 

Another thing around here, I do encounter quite a few hams out in the mountains, so odds are pretty good that one will be nearby if I get in a pickle.  Between that and having the local area EMS/Sheriff/Forest Service frequencies programmed, comms are pretty well covered. 

I think what you are looking to do is a solid idea.  Of course, as Alan pointed out, that's considering the legalities with the GMRS/MURS usage on a radio certified for ham.  Is it enforced?  Nope.  In an emergency, does it even matter?  Nope.  Just plug all of that into your equation.   8)

Offline Tactical Hamster

• Survivor
  • Maybe he is born with it, maybe it is the beard
Mine arrived today
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
So my Baofeung UV-5RE just showed up and wow, I did not realize how small this guy was. Cannot wait to get it programmed and start listening while I am studying for my Technical licenses.
Explain to future generations it was good for the economy. When they cannot farm the land, breathe the air or drink the water.

Staff Sergeant, Blackhawk Mechanic. Army 2005-2014
Wood Worker, Horticulturist in training, Libertarian Anarchist

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2014, 08:30:33 PM »

For Mike & hamster I'm a little ahead of you, by maybe a month or 2.

Here is a long list of frequencies to save to your smart phone & print out,
http://www.rollanet.org/~n0klu/Ham_Radio/1000%27s%20-%20SCANNER%20&%20HAM%20Radio%20Frequencies%20-%20Ebook.pdf

Thought is if the SHTF you'll have a reference list vs scanning blindly.

As far as what to program.. I used a cable bought from eBay & the free CHIRP software found easily on the web.

I programmed these frequencies to start.
They are all on a csv file which the CHIRP software can understand.
This file contains the following:
HAM-FRS-PMR-GMRS-MURS-MARINE-WEATHER-BUSINESS channels

Then I added local repeaters & local sheriff pd etc to customize it for me.

hope this helps :)
-Mike
My personal prepper blog

Offline Tactical Hamster

• Survivor
  • Maybe he is born with it, maybe it is the beard
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »
I programmed these frequencies to start.
They are all on a csv file which the CHIRP software can understand.
This file contains the following:
HAM-FRS-PMR-GMRS-MURS-MARINE-WEATHER-BUSINESS channels

Not sure if you knew this, but on CHIRP, if you use "Radio" and click the Import options, they give you the FRS, GMRS, WX, MURS and other frequencies without having to upload a seperate csv.
Explain to future generations it was good for the economy. When they cannot farm the land, breathe the air or drink the water.

Staff Sergeant, Blackhawk Mechanic. Army 2005-2014
Wood Worker, Horticulturist in training, Libertarian Anarchist

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »
yup but thanks. This csv has all those & more in 1 file.
-Mike
My personal prepper blog

Offline stratigus

• Prepper
  • During a disaster, the time to prepare has passed.
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2014, 10:00:42 AM »
BaoFeng UV-5R internal mic not working, fixed!
A prepper friend of mine has two of the UV-5RA radios from the same batch. Recently both have had this issue, and I have fixed one of them for him, will do the other soon (I might actually document that one!)

Symptoms:
-Internal Mic not working. When PTT is pressed radio will transmit but no transmit audio is present from internal microphone
-With handheled "Trucker Mic" attached, radio transmits audio fine.

Issue: Contacts in Mic Jack (Larger jack) are not making electrical contact.
The jack works as a two-position switch. Normally (unplugged) the wiring for the internal mic is connected through the jack by two contacts touching. When a plug is inserted, the plug pushes against one of the contacts which makes electrical contact with the plug section but pushes it away from the internal mic contact, breaking the connection to the internal mic. When plug is removed, the moving contact sometimes will not sufficiently return to it's "unplugged" position.
Pinout of jacks:

Solution (Simple, may not fix it): Unplug and re-plug trucker mic several times to actuate contacts. Use the end of a q-tip to attempt to clean out. Blow into the jacks or use electrical contact cleaner.

Solution (Slightly more difficult): Take radio apart (I can detail this if desired). The jack has a piece of tape covering the top side to insulate from touching the aluminum backplate. Remove tape. Test contacts with multimeter to locate which one is not making connection. Insert jack to open contacts, use contact cleaner or tiny piece of fine sandpaper to clean surfaces of contact. With small tool (tweezers, mini screwdriver, etc.) bend either moving contact or stationary contact or both in a tiny bit to ensure force on contact when closed. Remove plug, test with multimeter. Replace tape (important!) and re-assemble radio. Test transmit audio with other radio or friend. Wipe hands on pants.

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2014, 03:42:03 PM »
From: http://www.brickolore.com/2014/10/baofeng-uv-5r-bugs.html

Friday, October 3, 2014
Baofeng UV-5R: Bugs
If you are having problems with your UV-5R where the receiver is muted, check out Miklor and the BuyTwoWayRadios pages for some common problems and fixes.

From the Miklor page, the affected radios are:

Some newer radios with N5R-20 and N5R-30 firmware.
    This is a current firmware that will ship with ALL UV5R series radios. This includes all UV5R, RA, GT-3, BFF8, F8HP, etc.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2014, 08:02:09 PM »
5 pack deal. Are those on charger bases?
http://camelcamelcamel.com/BaoFeng-Portable-Handheld-Original-Programming/product/B00CW8YACW?context=browse

I was listening to Portland, Salem and eastern Oregon on mine tonight.

Cedar

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »
http://camelcamelcamel.com/BaoFeng-Portable-Handheld-Original-Programming/product/B00CW8YACW?context=browse

Cedar
What freq. were you listening to Cedar? FM?
I live in earthquake country.
The street finds its own uses for things.
If you want to find out how things really works, study them when they are coming apart..William Gibson

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »
What freq. were you listening to Cedar? FM?

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2014, 01:37:30 AM »
Bao Whims & Quirks no1

- You can not overwrite channels/
 In order to manually program a channels that is already occupied, you got to got hrough the menu first and delete this channels

- Simultanuesly pressing "band" & "3" you get into a constand Monitor mode.
But there is no way to exit it other than turning the radio off

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2014, 06:51:06 PM »
I find the need to delete a channel before filling it poor software engineeering
I live in earthquake country.
The street finds its own uses for things.
If you want to find out how things really works, study them when they are coming apart..William Gibson

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2014, 12:26:26 AM »
as if it was the only one......

Accustomed to the Kenwood menu I was totally useless when a friend asked for help with his Wouxon.
Could not understand 2/3 of the menu.

After that I coudl not understand half the Bao menu when i got it
One only has to see the counterintuitive up and down arrows placement

the Chinese mind works opposite the Western

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
So, is there any advantage/disadvantage to the UV-5R vs the UV-82?

I'm tempted to go 5R just because of that common-language instruction manual linked to earlier in this thread.
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir/Tolkien
BOV: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4645.msg390358#msg390358
Prepping does not make you a special snowflake. Its just nesting...with guns.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »
I didn't search the forum hard enough. I just found this thread asking the exact same question.
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=49343.0
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir/Tolkien
BOV: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4645.msg390358#msg390358

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2014, 04:18:59 PM »
So, is there any advantage/disadvantage to the UV-5R vs the UV-82?

I'm tempted to go 5R just because of that common-language instruction manual linked to earlier in this thread.
Recently Amazon.com had the uv-82 on a big discount,at only a few $ more than the uv5r. 

I have two of the uv5r.  I have been told the uv82 fit in your hands better as they are larger.  I would probably get the uv-82 for the same money, unless you specifically need the smaller sized radios.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2014, 04:27:30 PM »
on the other hand the F8 model (updated -5R)  is not that far off and it has 2 things going for it.

It is VERY cheap (staying true with the idea of the Ford Model-T  and Volkswagen Beattle cars)
Has FULL accessories compatibility and range to the -5R

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »
Yeah, I was going to go ahead and buy the uv-82, but the programming cable is an additional $20. the uv-5r cable is only $6 or $7... hmmm

maybe I'm overthinking this.

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2014, 10:52:50 PM »

Cedar

Cedar, those 888 radios are UHF only.  No coverage on the 2 meter band you are listening on.

Brian
Get on the TSP Member Map
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs023/1102026465667/img/34.png[/img]

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2014, 12:40:36 AM »
I ordered a couple of UV-82Ls this past weekend from Radioddity.com, where they were selling for $29.99 plus an additional discount code (apparently for Canadian Thanksgiving). They also have a package with the radio and a couple other accessories such as the hand mic and programming cable for $54.99 and were selling the programming cable separate for about $7.50. So I'm not sure why SloSheepdog saw $20 for the cable where he was shopping for his.

I also threw in a couple of spare batteries, a cigarette lighter charger (not the one for mobile use) and a few spare antennas to try. They'll sit in my BOB and an ARES go kit that I'm slowly assembling.

I also plan to get one N9TAX Slim Jim antenna with an SMA Female adapter to use these on far away repeaters, but the real selling point that got me to decide on the UV82L is that Baofeng has finally come out with a AA battery adapter that's available on Amazon. I've already handled one at an ARES meeting and liked the feel of it in comparison to the UV5R, but held out to see if a AA battery case would be made for it.

Now it's just a matter of keeping my fingers crossed the next few weeks that they'll arrive and be decipherable to my simple mind so that I might provide a favourable review!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2014, 10:20:31 AM »
I ordered a couple of UV-82Ls this past weekend from Radioddity.com, where they were selling for $29.99 plus an additional discount code (apparently for Canadian Thanksgiving). They also have a package with the radio and a couple other accessories such as the hand mic and programming cable for $54.99 and were selling the programming cable separate for about $7.50. So I'm not sure why SloSheepdog saw $20 for the cable where he was shopping for his.

I also threw in a couple of spare batteries, a cigarette lighter charger (not the one for mobile use) and a few spare antennas to try. They'll sit in my BOB and an ARES go kit that I'm slowly assembling.

I also plan to get one N9TAX Slim Jim antenna with an SMA Female adapter to use these on far away repeaters, but the real selling point that got me to decide on the UV82L is that Baofeng has finally come out with a AA battery adapter that's available on Amazon. I've already handled one at an ARES meeting and liked the feel of it in comparison to the UV5R, but held out to see if a AA battery case would be made for it.

Now it's just a matter of keeping my fingers crossed the next few weeks that they'll arrive and be decipherable to my simple mind so that I might provide a favourable review!

This is good info for the ARES go-bag.  I'm currently a "visiting" member of the local ARES group and am taking the required CERT course now. 
I have a mini-tackle box that I keep variation connectors and adaptors.

A while back Carl sent me plans for his "BigStick" which is a variation of the N9TAX, but inside a PVC pipe.  The PVC causes the tuning to be a bit different, but internally the same twin lead cable is used.  I'll likely make another one that rolls-up.  You really need an SWR meter unless you can perfectly recreate per instructions.  Change the shunt solder point a couple cm and you might lose some gain.

I also grabbed a couple UHF->SMA pigtails off amazon.com for $5 each.  For the flimsy chinese HTs I prefer the pigtail to a rigid adapter that might stress and crack the plastic.  I actually use one to connect a UV5R to a magmount antenna on my truck.  (poor man's mobile rig).  Given my local repeater situation, it works VERY well on both 2m and 70cm.