Author Topic: Raw beans are poisonous  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
Raw beans are poisonous
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »
I never knew this.  I also read somewhere that all raw beans are poisonous, even green beans.  Good to know.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artredkidneybeanpoisoning.html

Offline bwachob

• Prepper
Re: Raw beans are poisonous
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:46:50 PM »
I did not read the article but have been eating raw green beans for over 30 years now.  I have had no effects frrom them and love most vegetables raw over cooked.

Raw corn is delicious and also raw potatoes.

Will go back and read the article now but wanted to put inmy $.02 for the green beans, they cannot defend themselves

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:06:58 AM »
I'm not sure where I read about the green beans, it wasn't in this article.

Notsonutso

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 07:02:54 AM »

I've heard about the raw kidney beans....but then I've never cared for them cooked, much less raw.

Poisonous green beans???  I eat 'em raw, still warm from the sun.  One of the first joys out of the garden every year.
Of course, if you're harvesting from Monsanto seeds or using pesticides.....

Offline Tiretool

• Prepper
  • Airsoft Maniac
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:01:15 AM »
I never knew this.  I also read somewhere that all raw beans are poisonous, even green beans.  Good to know.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/artredkidneybeanpoisoning.html

Me and my daughter went into our garden and ate a hand full of raw green beans right off the vine with no ill effects! Although washing them woulda' been a good idea. I used no pesticide on them though.

Tirtool
Tiretool

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:09:30 AM »
Me and my daughter went into our garden and ate a hand full of raw green beans right off the vine with no ill effects! Although washing them woulda' been a good idea. I used no pesticide on them though.

Tirtool

Green beans are fine. Personally, I think they're best just like that :)
The government is great at breaking your leg, handing you a crutch, and saying “You see, without me you couldn’t walk.” — Harry Browne

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
that's why you dump off the water when making red beans and rice. they poison leeches into the water as well.
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
I think that it is primarily red beans and/or kidney beans that have toxins that have to be destroyed through cooking. I have a slowcooker and a few slowcooker recipe books and they all indicate that you need to pre-boil kidney beans and/or red beans before putting them into the slowcooker because the slowcooker would not reach temperatures sufficient to destroy the toxins. I've never seen an indication that other beans have this problem or require any special precautions.
"We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than that only freedom can make security secure." - Karl Popper

"I believe the common denominator of the Universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder." - Werner Herzog

proketour

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 06:04:54 AM »
I think that it is primarily red beans and/or kidney beans that have toxins that have to be destroyed through cooking. I have a slowcooker and a few slowcooker recipe books and they all indicate that you need to pre-boil kidney beans and/or red beans before putting them into the slowcooker because the slowcooker would not reach temperatures sufficient to destroy the toxins. I've never seen an indication that other beans have this problem or require any special precautions.

Sometimes I hate becoming a reprinter of internet articles, but here's the scoop on kidney beans http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/food-for-thought-are-uncooked-red-kidney-beans-poisonous-1069434.html.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 07:52:51 AM »
I can't get the link to work.

Offline cajunkraut

• Senior Survivalist
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 08:16:04 AM »
that's why you dump off the water when making red beans and rice. they poison leeches into the water as well.

We always did it because it helps "get the fart out" of the beans :) Seriously though, I've never heard of anyone getting red-bean poisoning. Of course my coon ass mama never used a crock pot to make anything when i was a kid either. On the other hand my wife uses a crock pot to make her red beans and white beans, and we soak them, and have never had bean poisoning.

I've eaten a few handfuls of green beans raw out of my garden and never been sick either.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
We always did it because it helps "get the fart out" of the beans :) Seriously though, I've never heard of anyone getting red-bean poisoning. Of course my coon ass mama never used a crock pot to make anything when i was a kid either. On the other hand my wife uses a crock pot to make her red beans and white beans, and we soak them, and have never had bean poisoning.

If you're eating them from a can, and drain them, they've already done all the soaking they need to leach out the poisonous stuff.
The government is great at breaking your leg, handing you a crutch, and saying “You see, without me you couldn’t walk.” — Harry Browne

Offline minimalist

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 02:44:39 PM »
Yes, thanks for the correction - the cooking is only required for dried beans, not canned beans.
"We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than that only freedom can make security secure." - Karl Popper

"I believe the common denominator of the Universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder." - Werner Herzog

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 02:51:15 PM »
If you're eating them from a can, and drain them, they've already done all the soaking they need to leach out the poisonous stuff.

I drain AND rinse them, simply because they'll taste better.

proketour

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 05:21:26 AM »
I can't get the link to work.

Basically the deal is that raw kidney beans contain unsafe levels of phytohemagglutinin, which will make you sick after the ingestion of as few as 3-4 beans.  The beans must be boiled in order to reduce the amount of toxin to safe levels.

From whfoods.com:

In raw form, kidney beans can contain excessively high amounts of a potentially toxic substance called phytohemagglutinin. This substance is classified as a lectin glycoprotein, and in sufficiently high amounts it has been shown to disrupt cellular metabolism. The amount of this toxin in beans is usually measured in terms of hemagglutinating units, or hau. In their raw form, red kidney beans can contain 20,000 to 70,000 hau. This number drops down to 200 to 400 hau with fully cooked red beans. White kidney beans start off with about 1/3rd less hemagglutinin than red ones.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • One day my forge will be finished.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
We always did it because it helps "get the fart out" of the beans :) Seriously though, I've never heard of anyone getting red-bean poisoning.

I've heard a few stories out of England where people died.
Contributing to TSP Forum since October 19, 2008.

Offline twk

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 08:53:22 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I never would have guessed this!
"Loyalty to the country always.  Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."  Mark Twain