Author Topic: Work from home ideas? Gun store related.  (Read 6589 times)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
Work from home ideas? Gun store related.
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
So my wife is almost 38 weeks pregnant, and we are expecting her to go into labor any day now. I was talking to my boss about taking some time off ( I work at a small/midsized gun store, defensive guns are our focus, but we have a little of everything) and he mentioned that if I can find things to work on from home, he is more than willing to pay me for whatever time I can put in while being home with my wife and daughter. This is just the opportunity I wanted, and I am looking for a brainstorm of ideas to keep me busy. I am no computer expert, but I can make my way around one. I am going to start by selling some stuff online, and doing what I can with the website, and maybe making some kydex/leather holsters. Any other ideas would be welcome. Ideally, this could become my long term job solution, so I would love to make it work.

Bonnieblue2A

Re: Work from home ideas? Gun store related.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »
A number of FFLs upload their entire inventories onto websites like Gunbroker or Guns America. Perhaps this is something you can do for your employer?

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 06:08:49 AM »
Not sure about the above post, lol!

Anyway, I'd echo managing the store's online presence and activities, prepping trade-ins for the racks and shelves, cleaning up surplus weapons if you guys sell them, maybe branching off into store facilitated training (would require training for you, probably on your dime).

Web selling is probably the biggest headache for stores like this, but is relatively simple with the right software.

Those would be my first thoughts off the top of my head.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:30:55 AM »
Though initial cost is a bit,you can get a 3D printer and make sights,grip adapters,Grips, mag loading tools,unloaded chamber indicators...etc etc

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »
Though initial cost is a bit,you can get a 3D printer and make sights,grip adapters,Grips, mag loading tools,unloaded chamber indicators...etc etc

The quality of the parts that come from a 3d printer is not very good. Obviously, the better the printer the better the quality, but still not like an injection molded part. You're also limited to the types of plastics that can be used. Most plastic gun parts are glass filled nylon. To my knowledge, there are no 3d printers that can use glass filled nylon.

3d printers are also VERY slow. They really aren't the answer to manufacturing that a lot of people think they are.

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »
Here's an idea that is a little off what you're looking for, but I know it works.

I started a mobile laser tag company. I used high end outdoor laser tag equipment that had a range of nearly 200 yards in full sunlight. This equipment is programable so I could make the guns act like anything I wanted them to. Full auto, single shot, 20 round magazines, limited ammo, whatever I wanted. The guns stored hit information that could be downloaded to a computer so score sheets could be printed out. I could set the guns to stop working after 1 hit, or 99 hits. I could make a "sniper's" gun do 99 points of damage if I wanted. I also had medic boxes that would give ammo, or health, and grenades that could be thrown to do area damage. I came up with a bunch of different types of games to keep things interesting.

I sold mostly to parents that wanted to do birthday parties for their kids. I'd charge about $300 for a 2 hour party, and would pay a teenager to go with me to help set up the paintball bunkers that I used for the kids to hide behind. The parties were usually held at the customer's house.

Although not required, I had each kid that showed up for a party fill out an "insurance waver" complete with their address, phone number and BIRTHDAY. A couple of months before their birthday, they'd get a birthday card from me. Each kid that had a party would give me addresses to 10 or more potential customers. :)

I also did a lot of church activities during the winter, and even set up in our local middle school. I did 3 middle school parties before I could convince the high school that it was safe and got them to book a party. The funny part is that in our little town, the middle school and the high school are IN THE SAME BUILDING!

It was easy to make $1,200 on a weekend. I finally stopped doing it because it just took up too much time. I'd work all week at my "real" job, then all weekend doing parties. :(

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:59:39 AM »
The quality of the parts that come from a 3d printer is not very good. Obviously, the better the printer the better the quality, but still not like an injection molded part. You're also limited to the types of plastics that can be used. Most plastic gun parts are glass filled nylon. To my knowledge, there are no 3d printers that can use glass filled nylon.

3d printers are also VERY slow. They really aren't the answer to manufacturing that a lot of people think they are.

They are now strong enough to make a gun with a 3D printer...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/10/cody-wilson-3d-gun-anarchist

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
They are now strong enough to make a gun with a 3D printer...

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/10/cody-wilson-3d-gun-anarchist

Yea, I've seen it (on the internet, not in real life).
You'll never get me to shoot it though. :)

They've done great things with 3d metal printing too. They've actually made a 1911 that I would shoot, but now you're talking about nearly a million dollar investment. :(  And, it's still slow for production.

Where these things shine is for one off stuff. They can make one gun, for instance, quicker than I can do the set ups, write the programs, and machine one. But, once I have the procedure and the programs tweaked, conventional machining is much faster.

Or, in the case of plastic parts, they can be conventionally molded in seconds, compared to multiple hours to print one.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »
On to the subject at hand; having front end service with the customers is great knowledge, do you have anything that people are asking for that you don't stock? besides .22 ammo of course. If not already setup look into an ebay account if you have old accessories to get rid of. Most of that stuff can still be sold on there.

It's really an open market in someways for accessories for firearms, way more money than making the firearms themselves IMO. I made a tidy little sum over a 3-4 year period making mag extensions for the kel-tec P3AT, I bought one of the 2nd gen and found everyone was buying Bersa mag extensions for a finger rest. As Kel-tec didn't make them at the time. The Bersa ones cost around $8-10 ea plus shipping.

I molded my own version that was better aligned to the gun/magwell and had micro grip grooves, I then took that and had a CNC injection mold made, I then made 10,000 of them for about 15 cents each...then sold them for $6ea +/- all over the internet. It bought my truck and a down payment on our home for one simple product. Then Kel-tec started making them and my sales plummeted, I then sold the mold/rights to a small outfit and I'm not sure if they are around any more.

Ideas like you were talking about, I had trouble finding a decent priced .380 mag holder so I made mine from Kydex, those might be a good seller, along with anything new that's coming out or small enough numbers to not justify for the big companies to go after, such as a holster for the PLR16

nelson96

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 11:58:57 PM »
anything new that's coming out or small enough numbers to not justify for the big companies to go after

There it is....  Anything niche.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 02:24:42 AM »
Don't even try to make my secret magazine extension/P38 can opener.... ::)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »
my AR Sling Bottle Opener. Did this about 2 years ago, but due to cheap imports of sling adapters they really didn't take off and I guess some people are offended by the thought of drinking and shooting.. ;) was made for a joke/novelty not too many guys are running around with these... Cost me about $2ea to make, sold them for $10-15ea...

Offline Packaged Chaos

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »
Mnotlyon,
Can you give us some more information on the mobile laser tag business?  What equipment did you buy?  From where?  Startup costs?

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 05:58:20 PM »
Mnotlyon,
Can you give us some more information on the mobile laser tag business?  What equipment did you buy?  From where?  Startup costs?

I purchased my stuff from http://www.steradiantech.com/index.html I bought their all metal guns.
It's not cheap equipment, but it's a little cheaper now than when I bought it.

I got 10 guns, 2 grenades, 2 medic boxes, and the computer software to program them, and keep score.
I picked up a set of blow up paintball bunkers, and a covered trailer with cool graphics to haul it all in.
I probably spent about $15,000 by the time I was ready to play my first game.

Did I mention I still have the equipment? Come buy it from me, and I'll teach you everything I know, and make you a good deal. :)