Author Topic: Q's Garden 2014  (Read 26945 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Q's Garden 2014
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2014, 02:21:12 PM »
Thread revival! Our greenhouse is up, which is helping some of our plants continue producing despite the cold night temps. Still getting tomatoes and tomatillos, and zucchini! There is a giant zuke that I am saving for seeds and about 4 more still growing. The plant is getting bad mildew though, probably because of the greenhouse.

Much to my surprise today, I discovered a decent sized black edamame plant that managed to survive the siege of morning glory (which I am STILL finding and murdering the crap out of >:( ). Some more peas are coming up, and the amaranth sprouted again despite the main stem breaking off. Next year we will try a different kind of green bean as we were not fans of this particular strain.

Carrots are doing well, I wish I had planted more of them. Kale got swarmed by tiny little beetle-y bugs, so that got ripped out a while ago. Oh, and rogue fennel has taken over...let me get a picture of the one we pulled today (there are at least 3 more like it).

Trimmed the crap out of the sage plant today as it was starting to take over again. I'll attempt to get some essential oil our of it tomorrow.

After the tomatoes are gone, we'll just leave the rest planted and see what survives the winter with the greenhouse up. Got a couple of good sized basil bushes going as well as anise, mint, and the sage. Then we'll add a ton of compost next year and hopefully keep the soil nice and warm. It wasn't as productive of a year as I would have liked, but we learned a lot and I think next year will be better.
This thread is worthless without pics!

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »
Well, here's the monster fennel plant we brought home:

Of course I didn't have a camera with me today...

Can the leaves of fennel be used in cooking? I know the seeds can (and we have plenty of those).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:51:39 PM by AvenueQ »

endurance

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »
I need to get some final pics up for my garden.  I'm still harvesting taters, broccoli, carrots, and kale, but otherwise, the season is done for.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2014, 05:20:48 PM »
I need to get some final pics up for my garden.  I'm still harvesting taters, broccoli, carrots, and kale, but otherwise, the season is done for.
Oh man, down south here it just got cool enough to plant the kale.  Mostly put in greens this fall: kale, collards, a little bit of mustard.  Won't have enough size to harvest anything probably until after Christmas.

endurance

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
Oh man, down south here it just got cool enough to plant the kale.  Mostly put in greens this fall: kale, collards, a little bit of mustard.  Won't have enough size to harvest anything probably until after Christmas.
I had mine all summer and while it struggled a little during the heat of the summer, we didn't have a single day over 83 here this year, so it never did more than get a little droopy.

This is the latest I've ever had broccoli forming.  Best heads I've ever seen because the plants are huge now.  I definitely want to plant some different varieties next year, as I missed having at least some broccoli throughout the summer.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
Jealous that you got broccoli, ours barely produced anything. Cold weather crops are tricky down here in the front range.

endurance

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
Jealous that you got broccoli, ours barely produced anything. Cold weather crops are tricky down here in the front range.

If I get anymore I'll bring some down.  I'm just about broccoli'd out for the month. :o

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
As requested, here are some pics:

Taken today, greenhouse has been up for about a month and a half now. Still getting some tomatoes, though production has slowed significantly.

Amaranth that resprouted.

My sole black edamame, got some beans form it today to save for next year.

Zucchini still blooming:

Monster zucchini that I hope to get seeds from:

Herbs from my patio that I moved in today. I'll see what survives this winter.

My preliminary plan for next year is to use this plot as a "hot" growing area next year, that is I'll leave up the greenhouse for most of the year and only grow stuff like peppers, tomatoes, and summer squash. My new job has an employee garden, so I think I'll get one there for leafy greens, beans, and other stuff. Still not sure of everything I"ll grow, but I'm making a list.

Oh, and here's the free raspberries I got earlier this summer:

Do I need to prune those at all? They're really spider-y and not very bush-y.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
Cool stuff Q.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »
Oh, I also forgot that I discovered MICE in my plot today!! >:( Pretty sure it's from our plot neighbors that completely abandoned their plot early this year as we saw mice eating their corn for a long time. Now that almost everything else is gone they are into our stuff.

Traps are going out this week, along with some ghost pepper flakes.

endurance

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2014, 01:14:04 PM »
Oh, I also forgot that I discovered MICE in my plot today!! >:( Pretty sure it's from our plot neighbors that completely abandoned their plot early this year as we saw mice eating their corn for a long time. Traps are going out this week.
I had mice, voles and rabbits this year, but nothing stole more food than the damn birds. Over 300 strawberry plants and I might have eaten two dozen before the birds got to them.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »
Oh (again), anyone have any clue what this is? Grows close to the ground, no discernible smell. At first I thought it was more strawberries, but it looks a bit too small.

endurance

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
Sure looks like strawberry leaves to me.

Offline ResidentCelt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Doing my best on 1/3 acre
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2014, 09:12:39 AM »
Potentilla indica or Duchesnea indica (Mock Strawberry). From wikipedia: "They are edible, but they have very little flavor. A poultice of the crushed leaves is used to treat skin ailments such as eczema."

endurance

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
Did you get the thundersnow this morning?  I woke to the sound of thunder, looked out my window and there was snow blowing sideways.  Crazy.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »
Looks great Q. What type of raspberries are they? Everbearing or July bearing? They should be trellised maybe to keep them from going prone.

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
Did you get the thundersnow this morning?  I woke to the sound of thunder, looked out my window and there was snow blowing sideways.  Crazy.

Nope, just a teensy bit of snow in the parking lot at work this morning. I think I may have seen lightning on the way home, but no thunder.

Looks great Q. What type of raspberries are they? Everbearing or July bearing? They should be trellised maybe to keep them from going prone.

I have no clue. I got them for free from the community garden in May. There were no blossoms this year, but they've been growing pretty steadily since potting. Not sure if I'm allowed to put a trellis up on the building since it's a condo...

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »
Just when I thought the garden was done for the year...

Added some compost and worm castings today, still will be adding more throughout the winter.

Do raspberries need to be trimmed back in the winter? After the blistering cold we've had they've started to die off/go dormant.