Author Topic: MSP's garden 2014  (Read 31236 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: MSP's garden 2014
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »
You can still add inoculant to the soil by the beans, they should sell some at your local garden store. You should also pinch off some of the beans to thin to about 6" on center, the peas can be left 2 or 3 inches apart. So, the inocculent will let them fix nitrogen into the soil, but there are other nutrients your soil may be lacking in. Blood meal can be strong, so be careful, another source is dilute human urine, so if you feel a quick acting not- to- strong nitrogen boost is actually needed, pee in a bucket and add a bunch of water and then go water the pants with that.  For general garden usages, mulching with alfalfa will provide nitrogen without worrying about burning the plants.

You should do a soil test, but if you cant, you can use the in the middle recommendations for added fertility from How To Grow More Vegetables....(John Jeavons, check it out at the library or buy a copy) So, while your area may need more than this, it would be unlikely that this would be too much : 8-12 lbs alfalfa, 1.5-2 pounds bone meal, 1.5 lbs wood ash. This is per 100 sq ft, so use proportionally less for smaller beds, in ADDITION they recommend 8 cubic feet (1/3 cubic yard) of compost per 100 sq ft, or half that amount of composted horse or cow manure. It is especially good to do these types of recommendations the first few years of your garden to build up your soil. Crushed granite would be a nice addtion too.

d3nni5

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
You can still add inoculant to the soil by the beans, they should sell some at your local garden store. You should also pinch off some of the beans to thin to about 6" on center, the peas can be left 2 or 3 inches apart. So, the inocculent will let them fix nitrogen into the soil, but there are other nutrients your soil may be lacking in. Blood meal can be strong, so be careful, another source is dilute human urine, so if you feel a quick acting not- to- strong nitrogen boost is actually needed, pee in a bucket and add a bunch of water and then go water the pants with that.  For general garden usages, mulching with alfalfa will provide nitrogen without worrying about burning the plants.

You should do a soil test, but if you cant, you can use the in the middle recommendations for added fertility from How To Grow More Vegetables....(John Jeavons, check it out at the library or buy a copy) So, while your area may need more than this, it would be unlikely that this would be too much : 8-12 lbs alfalfa, 1.5-2 pounds bone meal, 1.5 lbs wood ash. This is per 100 sq ft, so use proportionally less for smaller beds, in ADDITION they recommend 8 cubic feet (1/3 cubic yard) of compost per 100 sq ft, or half that amount of composted horse or cow manure. It is especially good to do these types of recommendations the first few years of your garden to build up your soil. Crushed granite would be a nice addtion too.

This is great info.   Thanks for the tips.   My extension office will do a free soil test, I will have to go down.  I want them to verify that Kousa Dogwood in my front yard too.

I already added the blood meal and some other fertilizer.   Not much, again, I just added a little to see what would happen.   I would like to be able to switch to all compost and natural remedies as time goes on.   I know it will take time.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »
Lattice...excellent.

Maybe the beans won't get dark green leaves? I had some beans a few years ago at our old house that were a very light green, produced fine. I would think that if the tomatoes ( heavy feeders ) are doing good right next to them it would be something other than nitrogen right? Anyone out there have any additional thoughts on that?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
Maybe the beans won't get dark green leaves? I had some beans a few years ago at our old house that were a very light green, produced fine.

I raise 42 different kinds of beans. Not all the leaves are dark green.

Cedar

d3nni5

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »
Some production photos!

Zucchini are looking good, I picked one :)

Juliet tomatoes

Big boy

Beans and peas are starting to produce too!

d3nni5

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 07:31:04 AM »

I got a few things out of the garden today.   

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 12:26:44 PM »
Nice!  Are those zucs seedy?  If so, try picking them a little smaller?  They look like they are a good 15+ inches!  You have more tomatoes there than I've had all year...  A lot are getting close though!  :)

d3nni5

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
Nice!  Are those zucs seedy?  If so, try picking them a little smaller?  They look like they are a good 15+ inches!  You have more tomatoes there than I've had all year...  A lot are getting close though!  :)

Not sure, not cut them yet.   The last two were not, but not quite that big.   I usually don't let them go that long, but i didn't see them.  My red tomatoes have only been Juliette grapes so far....one here and there.   Cant help but snack on them outside :)

d3nni5

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »
Another load of beans this AM.    I"m blanching, shocking and then putting in vacuum bags for the freezer.

Some peas and tomatoes too, but that will be for salads

d3nni5

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »

Zucchini bread!   Yeah!   I mean damn, this is good stuff.   One for my belly, three for the freezer.

I also took those beans, blanched, shocked and vacuum sealed a bunch of bags....enough in each one for a meal and a 'leftover'.   I am much happier being out of the relationship that I was in (she and I just were not right), but I sure do miss enjoying the good things with somone.  I hate having to think about my preps and food storage from a single point of view.  :(   

Not getting depressed though, I have Zucchini Bread to eat!  Nom Nom Nom Nom.

d3nni5

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »
Been awhil since I've updated but my garden is producing great.   I've picked several buckets of beans and peas.   My zucchini is done, dunno what happened to them.   Cabbage isn't ready to pick, but looks really good too.   

Tomatoes are almost ready....my Juliet tomatoes are pretty much picked through.   But the Big Boy tomatoes are nice sized and just about ready to turn.

d3nni5

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »

My garden is slowing down to a crawl.   Zucchini are dead, peas and beans almost finished.   I'll be lucky if I get another half gallon of beans, and peas will be just for eating raw off the vine.

My "Big Boy" tomatoes are just now coming into ripeness and I will be picking those over the next couple of weeks.   They are really the only thing left.

I had a second clippings of basil and oregano.  I dried/dehydrated most of that (another quart sized ziploc bag of each after drying).  Also, made some pesto last night.   Tonight I made some red sauce with fresh basil and oregano too, that was good over rotini, pretty quick dinner, and fresh as I could make it.

I'm bummed things are not going to last until the end of the summer, but at the same time this is the first garden I've had in over 2 years.    I have plenty of beans in the freezer and I've done as well as I can for what I planted.   

The only flop was my peppers, they just did not grow or produce.   I had a had a half dozen "Bell Boy's" and another half dozen habenero plants.   I got one bell pepper, and there are (at last count) a whopping 3 hots.   Dunno what went wrong, but I need to figure it out for next year....I like peppers too much to not get them producing.

Offline zarfbloot

• Prepper
  • Apprentice Prepper
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »
The pepper plants are perennial and may product for you again next season. My datil pepper (a florida native version of habanero) really cranked this spring and was it's second season. The first one I got nothing out of. Just a thought.

d3nni5

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »
The pepper plants are perennial and may product for you again next season. My datil pepper (a florida native version of habanero) really cranked this spring and was it's second season. The first one I got nothing out of. Just a thought.

Will they survive the winter?   I'm in WV, get plenty of cold and sub freezing temps all winter long.   My varieties are "Bell Boy" and a no-name habenaro.

Offline zarfbloot

• Prepper
  • Apprentice Prepper
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
That I can't say for sure. But I do know that the weather this past winter didn't drop below 34.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »
Will they survive the winter?   I'm in WV, get plenty of cold and sub freezing temps all winter long.   My varieties are "Bell Boy" and a no-name habenaro.
Peppers will not winter over in WV - mine did squat this year. I have done the best with regular bell peppers and banana / hungarian wax varities. Past few years peppers have been late for me - like september.

My squash always get wiped out by vine boring beetles - I have had better luck with patty pan varities which taste the same. Leaves will get dry and die and the base stems look rotten.

This was a tough year in WV weather wise - looks like you did pretty good. I am buried in tomatoes right now - picked a 5 gallon bucket full today and I only have 96 sq ft of garden.

d3nni5

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 06:53:02 AM »
Peppers will not winter over in WV - mine did squat this year. I have done the best with regular bell peppers and banana / hungarian wax varities. Past few years peppers have been late for me - like september.

My squash always get wiped out by vine boring beetles - I have had better luck with patty pan varities which taste the same. Leaves will get dry and die and the base stems look rotten.

This was a tough year in WV weather wise - looks like you did pretty good. I am buried in tomatoes right now - picked a 5 gallon bucket full today and I only have 96 sq ft of garden.

Hey Joe!   Been awhile since I've seen you post.   Yea, I'm pretty happy w/ the garden, I'll be patient w/ the plants until they die.   Maybe I'll get some late peppers.   I will switch up varieties next year maybe.   My tomatoes are right there ready to turn, just not quite red yet....that pinkish color.   I'll have a bucket or two myself next week.

I'm going to expand my garden next year, onto the hill in front.   Maybe I'll move the tomatoes in peppers into the new space.

As to the weather, yup....storming again today, just heard some thunder.   Can't complain about the water, garden got its fair share and all the rivers and streams look good.  I was fishing up on the Cheat near St. George a couple weeks ago, smallies were biting good.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 08:26:41 AM »
I've heard they could the winter if you are able to move them indoors (i.e. transplant them into a container).

d3nni5

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 08:59:54 AM »
I've heard they could the winter if you are able to move them indoors (i.e. transplant them into a container).

Yea, not sure I"ll go to that trouble, no place really to put them.   If they don't winter, it's OK.   I'll just try a new spot, new variety next year.   Part of the fun of a garden is to make it better I suppose.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »
They will winter indoors, I have done it many a time, but they will sulk around February, drop leaves ect, but bounce back. But a trick I used in Canada for those I left outside, is put a tomato cage around them, and slip a black garbage bag over the whole tomato cage.  I took it off during the late morning and then put it back on in the evening. It helped extend the harvest a bit. Just don't forget to take it off!!

Cedar

d3nni5

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »

OK, I'm trying some water bath canning w/ my tomatoes.   Wish me luck.   I have enough now to do about 8 pints, and more on the vines.   I'm simply dicing them and cold packing w/ a little salt and a couple basil leaves.   I just want to do it quick before the tomatoes are too far gone.

Pics to come.

d3nni5

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2014, 06:06:52 AM »

My very first attempt at canning anything were these diced tomatoes.   They seem good to go.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2014, 07:44:56 AM »
Pretty! Wish I had enough tomatoes this year to can some.

d3nni5

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2014, 08:22:58 AM »

I'm psych'd how easy it was.   Dunno what my fear was all about doing this.   I put it off much too long.   I'm getting myself a really nice pressure canner for a Christmas present for myself this year.    Next year, I'm going head first into canning everything.   I want to really try meats.   In particular, making up my own pasta sauce with sausage in it.    Chicken soup base, with chicken already in it.

I never seem to find time to cook a good dinner, if I can prepare things like that, it would make dinner time much quicker.

d3nni5

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »

Made a quick spaghetti sauce tonight.   Not sure what I did, but man is it good.   Fresh tomatoes, basil and oregano from my garden.   Added a green and yellow pepper, an onion, a pound of ground italian sausage, lots of garlic. Salted to taste.

Offline ResidentCelt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Doing my best on 1/3 acre
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »
MSP, I'm in Western Virginia and my peppers pretty much were a fail too (about 4-5 varieties). I think it was a lack of hot days this year and IDK about you but we had a REALLY mild August. That pretty much seals the coffin on standard pepper varieties if you don't get enough heat to 'em.

d3nni5

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
MSP, I'm in Western Virginia and my peppers pretty much were a fail too (about 4-5 varieties). I think it was a lack of hot days this year and IDK about you but we had a REALLY mild August. That pretty much seals the coffin on standard pepper varieties if you don't get enough heat to 'em.

Yup, that is what I have been thinking.    Thanks for the input.   There is always next year too.  Even the habenero peppers are a flop.  But otherwise I can't complain.   The garden,  after a couple of years off, did well.  Next year I am going to step it up.  :)

d3nni5

« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2014, 10:07:27 AM »

OK, got a "woody bed" question.   As you see here I have some wood already laid out.   I need a few more lengths to finish up.   My garden is 15' x 20'.   This woods is about 5-6" in diameter, and about 3' apart in these rows.

Is this enough?  I don't want to dig it up again after I get these buried.   Any help is appreciated.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2014, 10:19:02 AM »
I saw those logs and was excited that you were starting mushroom logs.. nevermind...

Cedar

d3nni5

« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
I saw those logs and was excited that you were starting mushroom logs.. nevermind...

Cedar

My buddy got one from Mother Earth News Fair recently.   He's not had much luck with it.