Author Topic: Berkey leaking after filling with bottom empty  (Read 6896 times)

Offline GodsProvision

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • GodsProvision.hubpages.com
Berkey leaking after filling with bottom empty
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:27:45 PM »
We have had a problem with finding a wet counter around our Big Berkey at different times. Sometimes we hear hissing or whistling as well as some bubbling where the upper and lower reservoir come together. Maybe moisture is building there and running down to the counter. We waited until the unit was empty and then emptied any excess. We filled the top to just above the black filters which should be two gallons approximately. The specifications say 2.25 gallons is the capacity. Within a relatively short period of time, we noticed the seeping around the middle again. It seems to be okay after I take the two halves apart as if I was checking the lower reservoir. Maybe that breaks a seal at the middle portion that occurs when it is wet. Any thoughts?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Berkey leaking after filling with bottom empty
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
Sounds like one ,or more,filters are not sealed well and water is seeping past the filters///Just my best guess .

Offline GodsProvision

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »
Could be. I was perplexed by the instructions when they said only trim the filters a certain number of times and no more. It seems like you would want them tight. Thank you for your response!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
I hope someone who actually owns a Berkey will reply,but I look like a guy who has one and understand how they work,so that is still the most likely cause of your leakage.

Offline GodsProvision

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 11:27:33 PM »
Thank you again. Now water does not seem to be moving through the system. Not sure why. We have only had it since early July. Maybe the black filters need to be cleaned already. I primed them again. White and black.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:23:53 PM »
It may be that you are overfilling the bottom chamber, please isolate the problem also, and see if it coming from the middle of the system, or from the spigot.  If it is the middle of the system, the bottom may be overfilling.

theberkeyguy

Offline GodsProvision

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
Thank you. I believe it has been overfilled at times, but the bottom was completely empty most recently when the seeping and wet counter occurred.

The system is still not filtering very quickly though it it does seem to at least be filtering. I was thinking it may already be time to clean the black filters and reprise them. How often should that need to be done?

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 04:25:20 PM »
Thank you. I believe it has been overfilled at times, but the bottom was completely empty most recently when the seeping and wet counter occurred.

The system is still not filtering very quickly though it it does seem to at least be filtering. I was thinking it may already be time to clean the black filters and reprise them. How often should that need to be done?

It is recommended to prime them every 2-3 months.  I am not sure why there was water coming out, other than if the bottom was full or the spigot has a leak.

theberkeyguy

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
It is recommended to prime them every 2-3 months.  I am not sure why there was water coming out, other than if the bottom was full or the spigot has a leak.

theberkeyguy

I believe he discovered that at least one filter was not tightened....

Offline GodsProvision

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 10:57:45 PM »

theberkeyguy

The "leak" seemed to be caused by seepage at the middle part where the two halves come together. There was a hiss and we could see the bubbling there. It very well could have been loose filters as well that were then tightened when I reassembled the system.

I did scrub the black filters and reprimed them along with the lower white filters. It seems to be working now. I used the rough side of a sponge though will try to use something more abrasive next time such as is recommended in the maintenance instructions.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 07:23:44 AM »
Sounds good . As I stated ,I do not yet have a Berkey..But my ceramic filter,is also a gravity feed system and does not produce water at great speed...but quietly produces all day and night. Keep your Berkey wetted down a while and it should come around.
THEBERKYGUY is a great guy and his product is the BEST I know of.

Offline GodsProvision

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
Sounds good . As I stated ,I do not yet have a Berkey..But my ceramic filter,is also a gravity feed system and does not produce water at great speed...but quietly produces all day and night. Keep your Berkey wetted down a while and it should come around.
THEBERKYGUY is a great guy and his product is the BEST I know of.

I appreciate both of your insight.