Author Topic: Will silver go below $19/oz?  (Read 19260 times)

Offline chuck_3

• Survivor
  • Half Prepped
Re: Will silver go below $19/oz?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

Precious metals, which I would hope were following inflation, would give us something with which to pay our taxes in such a scenario while we adjusted to whatever the new normal would look like.

You are giving the exact reason why I buy silver.  I think land is the best thing to hold for long term financial survival, buy do know that the various entities which tax property will still want their due if I am unable to pay them.  I have a decent stash of silver for the specific purpose of being able to pay those taxes if things get bad for me otherwise.  I will hope that what I am holding will last long enough for a reset in my own situation, if one occurs.  This would also work if a major disruption in local, national or world economies should occur as well. 

Offline Sailor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 12:14:02 PM »
Silver is showing no signs of bullish movement.  Since 2011's high of $49, down to $17.80 right now. 

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
Hit $15.38 today.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 09:07:18 PM »
Excellent, my monthly hedge is getting me more ounces. 

*EDIT* Changes "investment" to "hedge."  If I never make a dime over what I spent on the silver that is okay.  Its there to provide a "not dollars" store of value. 

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 04:15:58 AM »
This is the time of year when I normally buy more.  I won't get more ounces, though, just spend less.  We had a rough year on the farm so I am glad to have the opportunity to continue buying and not need as many dollars to do it with.

I won't complain when it stops dropping, though!!

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 04:36:21 AM »
$15.30!!!

Offline Tyler Durden

• Survivor
  • Wrong is what I do best.
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »
Is there a reason some products are selling for $3-$4 over spot?  I could have sworn that a couple of years ago it was like $1-$1.50 over spot price.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 01:07:19 PM »
Is there a reason some products are selling for $3-$4 over spot?  I could have sworn that a couple of years ago it was like $1-$1.50 over spot price.

Probably several reasons.  If companies have inventory they bought high they may try to squeeze as much out of each ounce that they can by attempting to sell at a higher premium to spot.  If they expect prices to go up soon, they may raise the price to keep people from buying now.  If the precious metal comes from a particular mint that is popular or if it has a nice design (like chinese new year bars) it may command a premium for that.  I'm sure this list is not exhaustive...

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »

Some items have a collectible/unique cost added. Silver dollars are more over spot than quarters or dimes. Odd shapes like bullets bring a premium (but they're sure nifty). That's why jewelry isn't considered an investment. Some come with assay or come from a mint that commands a premium for reputation. I really don't sweat a point or two. In a certain sense, it's nice to diversify.

Gang, I'm getting real close to ordering 100 ounces. I usually buy in August when I rebalance my portfolio but this is getting bonkers. If the current valuation makes sense to anyone out there, please explain. I know goldbugs only buy gold and Bitcoin might be taking share but I just can't see it. My stocks are overperforming while metals drop which makes my contrarian brain scream "sell stocks and buy metal!"

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 01:51:59 PM »
Silver is an anchor as your  CASH  and Dollar steadily devalues,I suggest US minted silver coins(PRE 1965) as they have been at low premium compared to 'freshly minted and specialty bullion'

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »
I like generic bars and rounds. You can usually pick them up for a buck or two over spot.