Author Topic: Quail for processing compost  (Read 3719 times)

Offline International Harvester

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Quail for processing compost
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:52:21 AM »
Hey all

I'm currently in southern california... specifically lakewood. My daughter has allergies that we are working on minimizing with probiotics and other non-pharma items. My wife and I are not purists but certainly feel that this route should be the first option. Among her alergies are chicken eggs. She loves eggs and so does the rest of the family. Since we have taken the eggs away from her, she has has felt left out. I began to look into raising cjickens for the rest of the family to eat the eggs but also for their ability to quickly processes bio matter into compost. To accommodate my daughtrs new diet, I am also considerimg raisimg quail for their eggs. I don't expect quail to be able to processes the bio mass into compost as efficiently as cjickens but if is anywherr close I might consider quial instead of chicken. We live on a small urban lot so space is important. I also should mention that we get a substantial quantity of food spoils donated to us from a local food bank. Will quail efficiently forage on kitchen scrap type food? When they loose interest in the pile, can I put what's left behind in our worm bims? How much of the brought in (purchased) feed can I expect to ofsett with this aproach?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Quail for processing compost
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »
 :popcorn:
cannot add anything, but watching

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »
Hmmm....

I don't see why they couldn't. They are smaller and lighter so they won't do as much damage tearing it up. They can still denude the ground if put in a "quail tractor".

Are you thinking of a permanent setup or something movable like Lawton's chicken compost system?

...now you got my wheels turning...  ;)

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
It would be a permanent coop with at least three paddock shifts. I'm basing these needs on chickens so I might be off base. My thoughts are the quail would use the coop similar to chickens (refuge and shelter). Then they would use one of the paddock shifts to tear up the bio mass while the other two are in development with a grazing crop of their choice (to be determined).  I'm trying to avoid having chickens and quail and would choose to exclusively use quail if they at least came close to the processing capabilities of chickens. I know it's gonna be less, but about how much less?  I guess I could tolerate a steep drop of production as long as they are interested in this suplamentql feed. Knowing they will process it, just over a longer period of time, is the confirmation I'm looking for.  Whith this feeding method, I can offset a serious amount of purchased feed when it comes to chickens. Ultimately I want to avoid financial inputs mimicking this methods with quail.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »
Is she just allergic to chicken eggs? Many people who can't eat chicken eggs can eat duck, quail or turkey eggs (personally I do not like the quail eggs). Z had 100 quail until about a year ago, we ate alot of those eggs. I am not keen on ducks eggs unless they are baked into something, but I like the turkey eggs over chicken eggs.

Cedar

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 01:28:45 PM »
I've been thinking about this a little more, and while I still think it is doable, I'm trying to think how it can be designed in a way that won't be more work than it's worth.

My main concern would be that it might be a total PITA to find the eggs everyday. In my experience the quail don't seem to want to nest or lay in a certain area, they just pop a squat and lay. Now this could totally change in a more natural situation or through selection or some other control mechanism. I personally wouldn't want to be sifting through the paddock everyday on an Easter egg hunt for a few dozen eggs. Now if you could convince your kids this is the "Best game ever!" the problem might be the solution.  ;)

Another option might be to separate the egg laying function from the compost processing function. So perhaps an area is setup for compost processing and in the area you only put in young females or males (6-10 weeks old). That gives you 2-4 weeks worth of "work" without having to worry about lots of random eggs strewn about.

I like the idea, I want to raise my birds in a more natural manner, I want to reduce feed and labor inputs. Hopefully we can figure out a way to assemble a system like this. I'm going to keep pondering this and hopefully have a Eureka! moment.

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
Moonvalleyprepper
I appreciate your input brother. I just looked over your quail for meat and eggs post.... very informative. I think there are some trails to be blazed.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
 Like Cedar stated you might look into ducks or Turkeys as well. They don't lay as well as a chickens, but your daughter might not be allergic to them.

On the subject of scraps and feeding. I fed 70 chickens through the winter on a diet of anything the grocery stores toss. If you have enough scrap from your source you can use it to replace all of your birds diet, and they will be healthier. Chicken feed is bottom of the barrel. While there are problems with our food supply it is better than chicken feed. Your birds diet will be much more diverse and you will get better healthier meat and eggs.

I don't have a compost area, I just put the scraps on the garden and my chickens process it and redeposit it in the garden. Compost piles are for people without chickens.

I have not tested this with quail yet, But chickens, Turkeys and Muscovy ducks can easily be raised on scraps. I see no reason why it cannot be done with quail, and is worth a try.

A picture of my chickens diet this winter consisting of chopped apples, corn on the cob, lettuce, bananas, pears, squash, cantaloupe, water melon, pineapple, tomatoes, green beans, cereal, bread and 100's of other good eatings with guacamole toping all for free. They ate better than 90% of Americans. 

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 08:06:22 AM »
I'm going to give this a shot and see how it works. I put some of the birds out in the tractor yesterday, and put a wire rabbit nesting box in with them that had some veggie scraps in it. I'll keep you updated on how it goes.

Offline Amoriesunshine

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 06:06:48 PM »
Can anyone update? How are quails at processing compost?
Has anyone figured out a system they like for this?