Author Topic: canned ghee  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
canned ghee
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:51:07 PM »
Recently Safecastle had ghee on sale for $110 for six 24 oz cans.  If I'm doing my math correctly that works out to $12.22 per pound.  Butter costs between $2.68 and $2.85 per pound in my area.  If you make your own ghee from butter, you lose about 1/3 of it when you boil out the water and remove the milk solids.  So one pound of ghee would cost $3.79 - not including energy costs.

According to the Safecastle website:
Ghee does not need to be refrigerated. In the unopened can, the shelf life is 15 to 20 years.

If after making your ghee, you pressure canned it, wouldn't it have a pretty long shelf life?  I've searched extensively on the internet about this and haven't been able to come up with an answer.  Most info I find is about canned butter.  I know there is a lot of controversy about the safety of canning butter.  The people I see making ghee are making it and using it within a short period of time - briefly extending it by refrigeration. 

This is the explanation from the Safecastle website:

Most commercial packaged Ghee available in the US is sold in glass jars, plastic tubs or cans with foil lids – none of which are adequate for an extended shelf life. This Ghee is packed in a sealed can, and because it is heat pasteurized in the sealed can, it is microbiologically safe until the can is opened or the seal is compromised.

Unlike a glass jar, a plastic pouch/tub or even a can with a foil lid, oxygen will not seep into this can over time to spoil your Ghee. The commercial canning process is one of the safest methods of preserving foods for the longest amounts of time.

I wouldn't necessarily expect my home-made canned ghee to last as long as this commercially canned product.   But if one was extremely careful when making the ghee and thoroughly removed all the milk solids and put it through a pressure canning process, wouldn't it last a long time - even it was in glass jar rather than a commercially sealed metal can?

Any thoughts?

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: canned ghee
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
For what it's worth.. I have a glass jar of gree that's been sitting on my counter for the last 2 years it's still good.

Also...when I bought it it was not "canned" or have a foil seal just a screw on lid.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 12:02:05 PM »
It would be good to know what we could do to save it and how long it would last. The shelf stable fats are the most expensive part of preps. I wonder how long even the store bought stuff lasts ? I have some of the canned ghee they sell here at home and at the fire station, but I dont realy know how long it would stay good.

Offline katunk

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
I buy mine at a middle eastern grocery store for a lot cheaper than that.

Regards,

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
Are you making Ghee or Clarified Butter?

The process of creating traditional clarified butter is complete once the water is evaporated and the fat (clarified butter) is separated from the milk solids.

The production of ghee includes simmering the butter along with the milk solids so that they caramelize, which makes it nutty-tasting and aromatic.  According to Ayurveda, ghee is traditionally made in a way rather different than clarified butter. To make real ghee, one must obtain raw milk, then boil it, let it cool to 110°F, and add curd (Indian yogurt) cultures. After letting it set, covered at room temperature for around 12 hours, the curd is then churned using ancient methods to obtain this specific type of cultured butter. This butter is finally used to simmer into ghee.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 03:55:01 PM »
Are you making Ghee or Clarified Butter?

Good point.  I was hoping to make a product similar to Safecastle's product.  They call it ghee in their product listing but the front of their can says clarified butter ghee.  This is how they describe it on their website

Ghee is made by carefully and diligently by simmering unsalted butter to eliminate the moisture, a process that lightly browns the natural oils giving it an almost nutlike flavor, then heat pasteurizing the purified and strained oil in a sealed can.

It doesn't look like they are using yogurt products in the traditional Indian way.  I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative to store oils long-term. 

Offline annmedford

• Prepper
  • what we do matters
    • My etsy site! Help me fund my permaculture and prepping efforts!
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »
I'd love to know the longivity too, but even if it's 2 years or so, it could be rotated....hmmm... may be starting up the pressure canner soon......

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 11:26:29 AM »
From what I understand you simply boil out the water to make clarified butter, right? If so, I would think a double boiler would be the best to avoid scorching. We have quite a bit of butter so I might give this a try. I haven't heard any remark on it's taste and if it gels like butter, or how to use it.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
@Carver: GHee is made by removing the water and the milk solids from butter. There are quite a few youtube vids on how to make your own. Some people use a saucepan on the stovetop; others use the oven and let it work for an hour and a half or so in a baking pan.

My understanding is that it keeps a lot longer even at room temp without any particular canning methods once you remove the milk solids. There isn't any approved canning method for butter through the FDA guidelines, so I cannot really recommend trying to do this long-term on your shelf.

Here is a link to a YT vid made by an off-grid family: https://youtu.be/MzkQHK8GGEs

Another one for the stovetop method: https://youtu.be/RA88W8c9GK8

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 02:22:28 PM »
Thanks, that last one from prepsteaders is the one I watched. With that, I should try it.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 08:32:23 AM »
Making ghee in the instant pot, I gotta try this.
https://youtu.be/c9UNCHW_-qY

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 07:41:56 PM »
let us know how it goes :)

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 10:08:25 PM »
This project is on hold as I am waiting for the butter to be available.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 10:05:45 AM »
sorry to hear that...

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 11:43:46 AM »
From what I understand you simply boil out the water to make clarified butter, right? If so, I would think a double boiler would be the best to avoid scorching. We have quite a bit of butter so I might give this a try. I haven't heard any remark on it's taste and if it gels like butter, or how to use it.
The " quite a bit of butter" was on sale at the local store for $1.77, but was gone by the time I got there. But I did get a rain check, so I'll be going there on Monday. "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush".

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 09:28:07 AM »
I did it. There are many techniques, I followed one that was similar in a number of demonstrations. I used the 'saute' function on the Instant Pot, 'normal' heat setting and it was down in about 15-20 minutes but has turned out dark brown, looks like a dark stout. Waiting for it to cool to try it. I haven't seen any other examples where it was anything but clear yellow.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 10:54:00 AM »
ummm you may have burned it, Carver. It shouldn't be dark brown.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 11:38:18 AM »
It tastes good, I put it in a jar and there are a lot of solids that settled on the bottom. Glad I only used 1 pound.

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 12:49:53 PM »
It wasn't solids settling, it was gelling. It tastes really good, but is brown.
At least my hummus turned out.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 01:32:21 PM »
glad to hear it wasn't ruined!

Offline Carver

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 12:14:10 PM »
2nd try today, Success!! It worked! I experimented with several Instant Pot functions and the one that finally worked was 30 minutes at the low heat setting of the Saute setting. I let it cool down and then strained it into a jar and it is perfectly clear and beautiful!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
great news, carver!