Author Topic: MSP's Rain Catchment Project  (Read 30395 times)

d3nni5

Re: MSP's Rain Catchment Project
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
After all the bottom bung caps have been drilled, reamed and hand tightened into the bottom holes, I move forward with the drain end of the system.

I cut a small length of 3/4” PVC, just long enough to connect a 3/4” PVC valve to each barrel.

As I did with the top, I added tee's and I cut lengths PVC to connect each of the bottom run.  Again, these are about 22” apart, but you need to measure your own system as you do this.  I ended up looking like this...

endurance

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »
 :clap:

Nicely done. Thanks for all the pics and detailed descriptions.  Threads like this are a great reference source for the community.

d3nni5

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »
As previously mentioned, I wanted a way to gauge how full my barrels were.  After I spray paint them black, how will I know?

Easy, I added a length of nylon hose between the top in the bottom sections like this....

The idea here is that as water fills, it will settle to its lowest point, allowing me to have sort of a level  gauge.   I will hide this nylon hose from the light with a piece of pipe insulation, pulling it off only when I need  to reveal my water level.   You also see I simply tee'd off the bottom section with a 3/4” brass hose bib to finish the drain part of the plumbing.

d3nni5

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »

Now I will start to run the piping up to my downspout.    Here is a wide angle view of the system.   As you see, I start extend the top 2” pipe back to the house and up to the corner next to the gutter.

Remeber, nothing is glued or set.  This is just roughing out the plumbing before I finish.

I cut my downspout, making sure my diverter system is HIGHER than the top of my barrels.  It's all about gravity folks.

d3nni5

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »
I went with an off the shelf diverter from Fiskar's.   You can choose what you want.  I actually bought this over a year ago, and I've had it setting in my garage.

The unit comes with the main diverter housing, a hose, some gutter reducers, and a mechanism to flush debris away from the catchment itself.   It seemed like a good product when I bought it.   I do have some complaints, but we'll get to that.

d3nni5

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2014, 07:57:42 PM »
So, here is the rub....and really the only complaint I have with this system so far....You see the hole that is on the side, channeling the water out ?   Well it happens to be 1 1/16”.  Yup!  Proprietary nonsense! 

Try to find PVC or nylon tubing with an inner diameter of 1 1/16”.   Fiskars, you can go pound sand! They do this because they want you to use their plumbing fixtures, their barrel, and their little watering can.   Ha!  Fiskar's you can suck it!   I worked around your little proprietary ploy to get me to buy everything else you sell!   These asshat's even registered the URL http://www.rain-barrel.com/.   

Rant over, back to hooking it up.   

I cut my downspout, again ABOVE the height of my barrels.  Attached the top reducer.

Attached the diverter to the reducer.

d3nni5

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
I then used 2” tee's, this time the tee is a threaded 3/4” PVC, to which I used the same 3/4” coupler as above, this has 3/4” male threads to 3/4” female slip.   I cut a couple of small lengths of 3/4” PVC and completed the pair.

As you see, I then took those sections, cut some 2” PVC and joined them together, capping the upper end.   The aforementioned 1 1/16” hose will now snug down nicely over the 3/4” stubs I've just created.

I made sure everything was level.

d3nni5

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
Here is a final look at what I've finished so far.

Stay tuned, back at it tomorrow!

d3nni5

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »
:clap:

Nicely done. Thanks for all the pics and detailed descriptions.  Threads like this are a great reference source for the community.

Thanks,   I hope it isn't too much info.  Sometimes that can be just as confusing as not enough.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 08:43:30 PM »
Nice work and thanks for the detail! I want to get one going soon but I first need gutters. And before that I need to replace all of the rotten facia and flashing! (Never ending list of projects)

d3nni5

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »

I worked slowly yesterday.   Combination of the sun and some stomach issues had me at about half speed.   But lots of Gatorade and rest, I got through some more.   I'm hoping by mid-week to have it ready for water.

I chocked the barrels with some 4x4 posts and 2x6 lumber.   I loosely fit the chocks in place between the barrels and drew mark lines.   Removed the barrels and secured with some nails and lags.

My lag bolts barely make it into the timber, but the 2x6 is securely mounted to it.  I'm not worried about this holding at all.

d3nni5

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 08:24:49 AM »

With the barrels off, I started working on securing the pipe. First, the barrel connections.

Every connection that has threaded ends gets a good wrap of tape dope.

The bottom bung (the drain, with coarse threading) was screwed in with a bung wrench and then the center 3/4" coupler taped and tightened.

d3nni5

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 08:31:55 AM »

I missed getting pics of gluing the slip connections.   For the record, this is simple.   The only thing to worry about here is making sure your checking your length as you glue things together.   

As previously mentioned, everything was loosely fit.   Sometimes that hides your short cuts until you got something wet with glue.   

Sand every surface you want to glue.   It doesn't have to be much, just rough it up.  Knock the "shiney" off of the PVC and the glue sticks much better.

My final runs have not been glued into the barrels yet.   Here is what they look like...

d3nni5

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »

Ready for painting

Bottoms are done and drying.   Will flip over and get the rest once dry.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
Looking great!

Cedar

d3nni5

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
Painting the barrels done for the most part.   Rain clouds on the horizon, stopping for the night.   Still have to paint the PVC.

Used some scrap PVC to keep the paint from getting into my couplers.  I didn't want these painted where the glue would be.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
I followed a link here from one of the status update threads.

That's quite a project, congratulations!

One comment though, about the water levels.  I figure you already know this, but if you commented on it, I didn't see it, so I want to make sure.

In order to keep the level of water between the barrels even, and give you a good indicator of the water-line, you'll need the water to use the lower pipes to gravity equalize, which will mean keeping the barrel spigots on the lower level open, while the pipe-wide outflow valve remains closed.

d3nni5

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2014, 05:19:49 PM »
I followed a link here from one of the status update threads.

That's quite a project, congratulations!

One comment though, about the water levels.  I figure you already know this, but if you commented on it, I didn't see it, so I want to make sure.

In order to keep the level of water between the barrels even, and give you a good indicator of the water-line, you'll need the water to use the lower pipes to gravity equalize, which will mean keeping the barrel spigots on the lower level open, while the pipe-wide outflow valve remains closed.

yes, good point on the gauge level.   My plan is to leave everything wide open all the time.   The valves are there for built in flexibility of the system.   I thought of putting valves on the top run too, but 2" PVC valves are like $15 each.   $60 total, for just a little flexibility, was not worth it to me.

If I do shut off a valve, you are correct, the water gauge is not reliable.

Offline NCFreedom

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
nice work man!  Good job detailing all your work too.

Offline strensk

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2014, 10:06:20 AM »
Good job, love the detail...

I may have missed it initially, but what are your plans for the collected water?

d3nni5

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »
Good job, love the detail...

I may have missed it initially, but what are your plans for the collected water?

Watering my garden mainly.   I would filter and drink it if necessary, you never know what the future holds. 

I have a 12K gallon pool in the side yard too.   I'd bucket it into the house and use that mainly as a "toilet flusher", "bath taker", "dishes cleaner"  if my city water were to get interupted.   I'd even filter and drink the pool water it if times were tough.   But the pool is a last resort option for me for drinking water.   I'd walk to one of the two or three streams I have near the house first before I'd resort to the pool.

I also keep about 30 gallons of water stored in 2 liter soda bottles.   I have three or four different ways to filter/sanitize my water too....and want to add a Berky system.  It may be my birthday present to myself :).

endurance

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2014, 11:17:46 AM »
One suggestion I'd make is adding just a little bit of bleach from time to time.  There's a lot of pollen and dirt that get flushed into the system, which is all food for bacteria.  When I first set up my system, which is underground for the most part, I discovered my water smelled awful (like rotten eggs) by the end of the first summer.  Just a quarter cup of bleach in each of my 275 gallon totes and the smell was gone in a matter of days.  Now I use bleach as a preventative.

d3nni5

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »
I got the PVC pipes painted this morning.  Dried throughout the day.

I hooked in the diverter flex hose and attached to my end piece

Glued on the rest of the PVC pipes

d3nni5

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »

It's ready to catch water!

Final touches are done.   I put the screen in the diverter, this helps keep large debris from entering the system..

I added a rain gauge.

d3nni5

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
Obviously, I have some final touches. but all that can be done with water in the system.   I have to build a small brace to hold up the PVC running up toward the house.   I may have to build a small brace on the diverter too, we'll see.

My next project is to put up a lattice box around this, screen it in with black plastic and hide the whole system from the sun.   I have to paint the outside of the basement wall this summer too, so everything will get a nice bright white coat of paint.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2014, 02:44:36 PM »
congrats!!! now hope for rain!

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
let me know how you like that downspout diverter.

I am using a 50 gallon trash as a giant filter to remove leaf litter and would love to use something smaller.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 08:09:41 AM »
This was a great thread. I've been lazy as of late with my projects and this was the inspiration I needed to get back with it.

d3nni5

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2014, 05:48:26 AM »
This was a great thread. I've been lazy as of late with my projects and this was the inspiration I needed to get back with it.

In the words of Larry the Cable Guy, "Git R Dun!"   I hope you have a chance to do something like this TWH!   It was fun, and got me using skills in carpentry, plumbing, and painting.   Not to mention, math and science.   Sure, it isn't rocket science over here, but I did have to stop and think a little :).   

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2014, 05:52:56 AM »
Nice work!