Author Topic: Every Berkey System Owner Needs This: The Black Berkey Primer  (Read 6716 times)

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Introducing The Black Berkey Primer! The Device is 100% made in America.

http://www.directive21.com/products/black-berkey-primer/

I have waited over a year to tell all of you about this amazing new device that is NOW available! Many of you have asked us this question, how do I prime my Black Berkey Elements if I do not have water pressure from a faucet? That question has now been answered.

Here are some commonly asked questions:

1. What is the Black Berkey Primer™ & what does it do?

The Black Berkey Primer™ is a hand-powered priming pump that makes it possible to prime Black Berkey™ Elements easily offline, without the need for faucets or hose connections. Priming the Black Berkey™ Elements saturates the filters with water prior to their use, allowing for clean water production anywhere.

The Black Berkey Primer™ also purges (or back-flushes) the Black Berkey™ Elements using air instead of water to clean the proprietary pores of the compressed carbon filter wall. Purging the Black Berkey™ Elements accomplishes two tasks:

(1) It clears the pores of debris that has accumulated with use.

(2) reduces the amount of time & effort needed to dry the filters prior to storing them. In addition, those who may be having difficulty priming their elements in a small sink, can use the Black Berkey Primer™ instead.

2. How does the Black Berkey Primer™ work?

With a Black Berkey™ Element properly immersed in water & attached to it, the Black Berkey Primer™ creates a simple pressure gradient which draws water into the center of each Black Berkey™ Element. Once the Black Berkey™ Element is completely saturated with water, it passes through the Black Berkey Primer™ and squirts out of the opposite end.

3. Why do I need the Black Berkey Primer™?

Every owner of a Berkey® Water System which uses Black Berkey™ Elements will find it easier to prime and purge the filters, wherever the Berkey® is used. The Black Berkey Primer™ is the final piece in making your Berkey® Water System your off-grid solution for clean drinking water and for everyday use. In addition, if you have a small sink or short faucet, the Black Berkey Primer™ makes it easy to prime your Black Berkey™ Elements.

4. How do I clean & store the Black Berkey Primer™?

Black Berkey Primer™ can be cleaned with a proper dilution of natural cleaning products, or mild soap and warm water. Components should be thoroughly rinsed & allowed to air dry prior to storage in a cool, dark, & dry place. Keep out of exposure from direct sunlight as UV light will breakdown the product. Do not microwave the Black Berkey Primer™ .

5. Does the Black Berkey Primer™ work with non-Berkey® filters?

The Black Berkey Primer™ is specifically designed for use with Black Berkey™ Elements.

Thanks,

The Berkey Guy
Berkey Water Purification Systems:
www.directive21.com

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
Re: Every Berkey System Owner Needs This: The Black Berkey Primer
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »
So I whipped out the primer last night, put it all together and gave it a try... (priming action, not purge)

I squeezed the bulb... nothing happened... the bulb just sat there squeezed.  (What am I doing wrong?)

I will add that I've been using this filter for about a year now without any real issues, but have found that I need to prime it about once a week or so to keep the flow rates up, as it seems the filter doesn't like sitting dry while I am at work. 

I did, however, have a possible design change suggestion... the current instructions don't tell somebody to force water into the filter.  Perhaps the bulb is not food grade?  But what would stop a person from attaching a much longer plastic tube to the filter that is filled with clean water before attaching it to the bulb and giving it a few squeezes to push the water into the filter for priming, much like the old style of priming?  This is what I eventually did, kind of, and it seemed to work.
"Hey!  If you go home, please don't be upset by the mess:(  I made homemade brownies..." - My wonderful wife
~Sometimes God's blessings come dressed as a curse~
"What he needs is a kick in the pants" - Dinky Dao

"Hey, you should start a blog!"-heliotropicmoth

Here's my blog: Building Rome - as fast as I can!

My YouTube channel

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
I purchased one of these a while ago and never got it to work right.  The fittings kept popping out of the bulb.  The hoses were a bit too ridged and short, and the whole setup didn't really do much.  I'll read through this thread and the instructions  and see if I was doing something wrong.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
So I whipped out the primer last night, put it all together and gave it a try... (priming action, not purge)

I squeezed the bulb... nothing happened... the bulb just sat there squeezed.  (What am I doing wrong?)

I will add that I've been using this filter for about a year now without any real issues, but have found that I need to prime it about once a week or so to keep the flow rates up, as it seems the filter doesn't like sitting dry while I am at work. 

I did, however, have a possible design change suggestion... the current instructions don't tell somebody to force water into the filter.  Perhaps the bulb is not food grade?  But what would stop a person from attaching a much longer plastic tube to the filter that is filled with clean water before attaching it to the bulb and giving it a few squeezes to push the water into the filter for priming, much like the old style of priming?  This is what I eventually did, kind of, and it seemed to work.

It took me a little time to get the primer to work correctly.

Possible problems include making sure the entire black carbon part of the Black Berkey Elements are submerged in water, as this will help start the process.  If it is not fully submerged, air will go through the primer or it may not work correctly. 

Be sure to make sure the valves are installed correctly, try moving them to the other side to see if that solves the problem.

Also, the Bulb is food grade.

Feel free to let me know if this info helps.
The Berkey Guy
www.directive21.com

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:23:14 AM »
I thought the bulb was to pump water into the filter through the outlet. Like how the faucet method works.  is it designed to be the opposite way?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:38:34 AM »
It took me a little time to get the primer to work correctly.

Possible problems include making sure the entire black carbon part of the Black Berkey Elements are submerged in water, as this will help start the process.  If it is not fully submerged, air will go through the primer or it may not work correctly. 

Be sure to make sure the valves are installed correctly, try moving them to the other side to see if that solves the problem.

Also, the Bulb is food grade.

Feel free to let me know if this info helps.
The Berkey Guy

I tried sucking the water in, but forcing it in would certainly work better.  The valves were installed correctly to act as a pump, just no pumping action happened... am I supposed to suck the water through or push it through?
"Hey!  If you go home, please don't be upset by the mess:(  I made homemade brownies..." - My wonderful wife

My YouTube channel

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »
I thought the bulb was to pump water into the filter through the outlet. Like how the faucet method works.  is it designed to be the opposite way?

The primer will push water through the filters and pull water through the filters.

theberkeyguy
www.directive21.com

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 09:38:30 AM »
I tried sucking the water in, but forcing it in would certainly work better.  The valves were installed correctly to act as a pump, just no pumping action happened... am I supposed to suck the water through or push it through?

I first recommend sucking the water through, but make sure air is being sucked out the primer, and that the filter is fully submerged.

theberkeyguy
www.directive21.com

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 04:49:15 PM »
This is long overdue... Jeff made it right and now I think the biggest issue was using water that went through the water softener.  I have since fixed that mistake and now the filters have started working much better!  Thanks Jeff!

My YouTube channel