Author Topic: To many?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
To many?
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »
I love to crochet afgahns.  They relax me and I love the feeling of accomplishment.  I had someone tell me I shouldn't bother because I didn't need anymore blankets.  DH feels that blankets are always useful and the more the merrier :).  For those that make blankets what are your thoughts?  Do you feel that you have to many?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: To many?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:29:17 AM »
I can no longer crochet.  My carpel tunnel has mostly calmed down so that I never think about it anymore, UNLESS I pick up a crochet hook.  An hour of crocheting will ruin my wrist completely for a day or so, and cause pain for a good 6 months.   :'(
But there is something lovely about a homemade afghan.  It just speaks of home and love and time.  I love them.  You can make them as big or as small as you desire (I always enlarged mine to a full sized queen).  My great-grandma, when she was about 90, called all her great grandchildren over and said "I will not be here for your weddings, so I have made an afghan for each of you.  I am giving them to your moms for now, but she will give them to you on your wedding day." (she had, oh golly, 33 grandchildren, 98 greats, and by the time she died, 218 great-greats and 7 great-great-greats).  So we all got a homemade afghan, crocheted or knitted.  Of course, some of us ended up with 2 for our weddings because she lived until she was 109, and handed some more out.

so to answer your question, I do not think you can have too many.  But if you ever needed to clean out your afghan closet, my address is   :censored:  or, you could find a charity that needs blankets.  A women's shelter would love to hand out homemade afghans to women who have left with almost nothing.  Childrens hospitals often like blankets for the children.  I think there are some organizations that give small bags of comfy things to children removed from their homes by social services.

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:19:02 AM »
That is a good idea to offer them to shelters.  Thank you.  I do love making them for family and often do.  Mailing them can be a pain though :).

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 05:07:58 PM »
Childrens hospitals often like blankets for the children.  I think there are some organizations that give small bags of comfy things to children removed from their homes by social services.

I did this with my Girl Scout troop one time, though ours were sewn. Just make sure and check if there are any materials requirements, they might not take something like wool which some people are allergic to.

I love blankets because I'm always cold, but I would never knit or crochet one (just me, I don't have the patience). If only I had the space for a 50" floor loom...

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »
I love blankets because I'm always cold, but I would never knit or crochet one (just me, I don't have the patience).

Two words - Q hook.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:37:32 AM »
SP was given a handmade baby quilt when she was born from the hospital. All of the babies get one. A local woman, a group of teens at schools and a quilters group make them and donate them to the hospital.. it is one of my favorite baby things SP got.

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »
SP was given a handmade baby quilt when she was born from the hospital. All of the babies get one. A local woman, a group of teens at schools and a quilters group make them and donate them to the hospital.. it is one of my favorite baby things SP got.

Cedar

That's really cool.

My grandmother used to crochet a lot, I still have some of her things.  I'm too impatient (always been a bit hyperactive) and prefer quilting.  Seems like more ground gets covered per hour.  So, I really respect the work that goes into crochet or knitting.

~TG

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
I would love to learn to quilt.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
I keep wanting to pick up this skill, but time and money (mostly money) keep me from it. Sigh. Maybe soon...

(Maybe I can ask for a starter kit for my birthday next month...)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:07:43 AM »
I keep wanting to pick up this skill, but time and money (mostly money) keep me from it. Sigh. Maybe soon...

(Maybe I can ask for a starter kit for my birthday next month...)

no need for money.  look on freecycle for yarn cluttering up someone's house.  A crochet hook is cheap.  And most areas have a knitters guild that meet once a month that love to teach knitting, crochet, and tatting.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 11:18:45 AM »
no need for money.  look on freecycle for yarn cluttering up someone's house.  A crochet hook is cheap.  And most areas have a knitters guild that meet once a month that love to teach knitting, crochet, and tatting.

Sad days. Nothing up for me to grab. Oh well. I shall keep looking.

What is Tatting? I see the word and think of getting a tattoo...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 11:26:18 AM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+tatting&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XkC0U9jKH5SiyASpkoCIAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=834

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatting

it is a cool little art that can be kept in your pocket for spare minutes.  I have never learned it, but I have had 2 friends, one a male from high school in Utah, and the other a female in college in NY, who would just pull the shuttle and some thread out of their pockets when sitting and chatting.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
I have my great grandmother's tatting shuttle. She used to make beautiful lace. I have never used it........ YET!

Cedar

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+tatting&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XkC0U9jKH5SiyASpkoCIAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=834

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatting

it is a cool little art that can be kept in your pocket for spare minutes.  I have never learned it, but I have had 2 friends, one a male from high school in Utah, and the other a female in college in NY, who would just pull the shuttle and some thread out of their pockets when sitting and chatting.
:o
I think I shall stick to trying Crochet, first. Tatting looks like a good way to get my fat fingers into a knot.

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »
I have used the Q hook and it is fast.  I made the kids blankets in just a couple days two Christmas's ago.  Freecycle and craigslist are a great source for cheap or free materials.  Also look for hooks at thrift stores or goodwills.