Author Topic: Price of .22's  (Read 63984 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Price of .22's
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2017, 07:12:31 PM »
The laws of man are meant to be broken.  Especially when the prisons are beyond capacity, and they are releasing child abusers EARLY.

I sometimes wonder if they would jail us Californians over minor technicalities invilving ammo while this goes on -- hard to say, we are a funny state

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »
Missouri, 22LR readily available at stores (and now lumberyards that normally didn't sell ammo) for $4.99 per 50, any day, always in stock now.
Strangely, Walmart is still selling out by 8am every day.

I hardly even look at anyone's prices anymore, as I'm not interested in paying a high price.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2017, 04:09:54 AM »
MIDWAY has Blazer 22 long rifle ammo for $20 a brick of 500 and many others at 4 to 5 cents per shot.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301133745/blazer-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2017, 08:48:48 AM »
MIDWAY has Blazer 22 long rifle ammo for $20 a brick of 500 and many others at 4 to 5 cents per shot.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1301133745/blazer-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose

Midway is 2 hours from us. I like to stop in there when I go that way.  8)
I leave drool on some of their antique guns. He's quite the collector.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »
Midway is 2 hours from us. I like to stop in there when I go that way.  8)
I leave drool on some of their antique guns. He's quite the collector.

That's why my new 12 gauge double barrel coach gun had some surface rust......

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »
Missouri, 22LR readily available at stores (and now lumberyards that normally didn't sell ammo) for $4.99 per 50, any day, always in stock now.
Strangely, Walmart is still selling out by 8am every day.

I hardly even look at anyone's prices anymore, as I'm not interested in paying a high price.

Yea, $5 for 50 is expensive, and that likely isnt even the better type of .22 rounds.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »
Currently there are no restrictions on ammo sales within CA or online. But new law going into effect in 2018 will require a background check for ammo purchase and may end our ability to purchase online.

With the details still sketchy, and the possibility of the cost increase associated with background checks, plus rumors of monthly limits, I'm going to spend $$$$$ this year laying in cases of what I will need.

Just curious.  I assume this is a California-specific law that will be effective next month.  How would this be enforced?  Who would be penalized if someone shipped you some ammo without the background check? You the recipient, or Joe Blow's Ammo Supply in Alaska? And how would you ensure that "someone" does a background check on you before you place an online order?  And what's the penalty for noncompliance?

I can't imagine the state of California having jurisdiction over a business in another state. So compliance, it would seem to me, would be voluntary.   

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2017, 12:52:22 PM »
Noticed last week our local farm supply store had bricks of 22LR's for $24.99 each.
Shelving stacked full of them. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
Just curious.  I assume this is a California-specific law that will be effective next month.  How would this be enforced?  Who would be penalized if someone shipped you some ammo without the background check? You the recipient, or Joe Blow's Ammo Supply in Alaska? And how would you ensure that "someone" does a background check on you before you place an online order?  And what's the penalty for noncompliance?

I can't imagine the state of California having jurisdiction over a business in another state. So compliance, it would seem to me, would be voluntary.

Jurisdiction or not, CA has a history of suing out of state Joe Blows who ship prohibited gun-related products to its residents, so best have deep pockets and excellent lawyers. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »
  AND with our current scanners in use it is not hard to find ammo,explosives in mail,FED-EX,,UPS..;...

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2017, 02:51:15 PM »
A couple days ago BulkAmmo.com sent out information to California buyers on how things will work starting January 1.  The online buying window isn't closed, we'll just have to have our orders shipped to a licensed ammo vendor or FFL and pay them for their trouble when we go to pick it up.  The actual background checks and logging of purchasers won't kick in until 2019.  No idea what the extra costs involved with this nonsense will be yet.  Although I wonder if it may be possible to get lower shipping costs, since BulkAmmo could bundle multiple orders headed to SoCal?

BulkAmmo YouTube:  https://youtu.be/AbolvjXvPIU

Still love BulkAmmo, by the way.  And they should love me after all the money I dropped on their site this year.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2017, 04:02:58 PM »

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
Shipped.....Sweet

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2017, 04:13:18 PM »
  Plenty other deals at slickguns:

https://gun.deals/

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #194 on: December 19, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »
I just dropped an order on bulkammo interestingly enough. Santa said, "Outsource that stuff before I get a hernia."

Freelancer, have you installed a reinforced basement floor yet to handle the weight?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #195 on: December 19, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »
It's probably a good thing my window of opportunity is closing before I ruin my back and the morbidly obese FedEx guy has an MI on my driveway. 

I ordered my last 10 cases today, which pushes my supply of .308 a couple thousand rounds above my .22 stocks, admittedly a ridiculous goal, but what the hell.  And it's all timed to arrive while my flaming liberal Cornell in-laws are still here.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #196 on: December 19, 2017, 05:24:30 PM »
It's probably a good thing my window of opportunity is closing before I ruin my back and the morbidly obese FedEx guy has an MI on my driveway. 

I ordered my last 10 cases today, which pushes my supply of .308 a couple thousand rounds above my .22 stocks, admittedly a ridiculous goal, but what the hell.  And it's all timed to arrive while my flaming liberal Cornell in-laws are still here.

Well.....just don't lose all those over the side of your bass boat. Chit happens...

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »

Well.....just don't lose all those over the side of your bass boat. Chit happens...

Funny you mention that....I've had 2 boating accidents, never lost any fishing gear but all the AR's are swimming with the fishes ???

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »
I am finding cheaper deals locally at big box sporting good stores than online.

I'm getting 325 packs of Federal for < $20.
I recently got a 500 pack of Browning (never tried before) for $25.

At this point, .22lr, shotgun shells and a small amount of self-defense carry ammo is all I buy any more. I hand load anything else pretty much. If I don't have the reloading setup, someone local to me does.
I have a buddy who buys rounds in bulk, then figures out his latest favorite gun doesn't love the ammo he has be stocking for a decade. I want flexibility.

At the same place I scored the browning .22lr ammo, they had Winchester primers of all styles for $24.00 each.  That's $9 off per 1000.
So I got 3000 small rifle (.223/5.56), 1000 small pistol, and 1000 large rifle.  Pretty good haul for under $150.
Pro-tip: save the styrofoam medical shipment ice chests.  You can perfectly fit 4 bricks of primers into each.

Local retailers are way over stocked and I expect post-holiday clearance sales.  All the shelves are full less than a week before Christmas.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2017, 12:38:33 AM »
Pro-tip: save the styrofoam medical shipment ice chests.  You can perfectly fit 4 bricks of primers into each.

What's the advantage of storing them in an insulated container vs. just stacked on a shelf or in a cardboard box?  Seems like the styrofoam adds a lot of bulk, and I can't think of why that would be beneficial.  What am I missing?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2017, 04:10:18 AM »
  Primers ,when not loaded into ammo,are open to atmosphere and moisture degradation. Powder and primer material are actually 'burning' (oxidation) from the time they are made and avoiding sunlight,moisture,therma changes...will slow this process to a point that storage beyond 25 years is possible. In loaded ammo,these components are (hopefully) sealed from the rigors of heat,light,moisture,and hopefully thermal extremes to the point of nearly indefinite storage. I have fired a major quantity of surplus ammo for .308 ,30-06', 38 Special and 45 ACP that were date coded for the wartime effort in 1943 - 1945 and had nearly 100% successful use of such old ammo.

A foam cooler helps keep the away from light,moisture,and thermal extremes...promotes good storage practice and slows the aging of the primers in this specific case.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »
Would it be best, then, to store them  vacuum sealed or in an ammo can with an oxygen absorber (for long-term storage, that is)?  Based on my experience, just leaving them on a shelf in an air-conditioned house seems to work fine for at least five years or so.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2017, 06:07:26 AM »
I store primers in several locations in plastic tubs and in a shop drawer where they are dry and in their original sleeves and boxes.  Some are 30 yrs old and I see no degradation in performance.

Ammo, such as .22LR and centerfire I store mostly in .50 cal ammo cans because they last forever and are designed to carry the weight without fail.  I use the large MTM plastic ammo cans for range practice and test load ammo.  Some ammo is 50 yrs old and shoots fine.

Glad to see that Bi-Mart is have good sales on ammo again after several sparse years, and even good .22LR brick prices.  Blazer is back on the shelf along with some CCI offerings and of course the now readily available Aguila brand (good stuff). Nice to have plenty to choose from and affordable prices again!  Even though I am still well stocked on .22LR I plan to go back to buying a brick every couple of weeks. More grandkids getting to shooting age and more .22LR guns keep appearing in the closets.  My current favorite fun shooters are the Henry lever action and the M&P 15-22.  Just installed a plug that replaces the mag safety on the Ruger MkIII Target, so will take it out Saturday to test for reliability.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2018, 06:58:40 PM »

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #204 on: April 11, 2018, 10:03:03 AM »
https://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-22-lr-ammo-22lr40grlrnwinchesterwildcat-5000

.22 under 5 cents per round

Jerseyboy

That ammo is ok, but you can get CCI minimags for 7 cents per.  I know if you are blasting a ton, quantity wins