Author Topic: Berkey on a well  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
Berkey on a well
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:50:52 AM »
  My drinking water comes from a well and I chlorinate it and carbon filter and a softening filter. I know that
I should not use this water in the Berkey.

My backup plan in case of a long term power failure is to have a manual pump on the well. I was thinking
about having a Berkey for those times and running the water straight from the well thru it.

How does that plan sound?

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
Re: Berkey on a well
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »
You can make life easy for your self by setting up a small rainwater collection system.  If you run that water thru the Berkey filter, you will never drink well water again.  I've been drinking, making coffee and tea with rainwater for years.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
  My drinking water comes from a well and I chlorinate it and carbon filter and a softening filter. I know that
I should not use this water in the Berkey.

My backup plan in case of a long term power failure is to have a manual pump on the well. I was thinking
about having a Berkey for those times and running the water straight from the well thru it.

How does that plan sound?

You can use the Berkey on the well water as long as it is not softened.  What state is your well in, and what contaminants are in the well water before you chlorinate it?

theberkeyguy
Berkey Water Purification Systems:
www.directive21.com

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
  I live in central Florida and I do soften the water. But I have was to get water at different stages of treatment.
I well is shallow (about 65') and is in the sub-suficial aquifer and not the Floridan Aquifer.

It is hard, and has sulfur, iron, and tannin in it. The chlorination takes out some of the iron and sulfur.
The softening filter has tannin beads as well  as softening beads. I also have a counter top RO filter in
the house that we run the water through for drinking.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
daulton rio puts six white candles (like the old berkey filters) into a big blue water filter case ready to be plumbed into a pressure system.  You could put it in-line before the softener (that is what I plan to do). 

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »
You can use the Berkey on the well water as long as it is not softened.  What state is your well in, and what contaminants are in the well water before you chlorinate it?

theberkeyguy

Is the salt the issue or is there another problem?

I know the berkey does not have desalinization capabilities. Does it clog and damage the carbon?

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »
Is the salt the issue or is there another problem?

I know the berkey does not have desalinization capabilities. Does it clog and damage the carbon?

I have seen that some of the salt is not removed and some of it passes through the system, thus making the water taste salty.

theberkeyguy
www.directive21.com

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »
does the salt ruin anything on the filters?

I am ok with the taste nut didnt know if i'd need to replace anything since it is softened water.

I am interested in using caught rain water sometime not until we have our own place.

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 04:33:22 AM »
Berkey guy

You did not respond when I answered your question about location and contaminants.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
does the salt ruin anything on the filters?

I am ok with the taste nut didnt know if i'd need to replace anything since it is softened water.

I am interested in using caught rain water sometime not until we have our own place.

Salt may ruin the filters, but I have atleast seen that it does not remove the salt and it can go right through.

theberkeyguy
www.directive21.com

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »
  I live in central Florida and I do soften the water. But I have was to get water at different stages of treatment.
I well is shallow (about 65') and is in the sub-suficial aquifer and not the Floridan Aquifer.

It is hard, and has sulfur, iron, and tannin in it. The chlorination takes out some of the iron and sulfur.
The softening filter has tannin beads as well as softening beads. I also have a counter top RO filter in
the house that we run the water through for drinking.

I apologize about not answering this quicker.  I would make sure to get the water before or from a source that is not softened.  If you can put on a pre-filter when the water comes out of your well, that will help to remove atleast the iron from the water.  We also put on Berkey Shower Filters onto all of our showers to reduce iron in our water.  I am not sure how to remove tannin, but I hope what info I have provided will be helpful.

theberkeyguy
www.directive21.com

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »
  The water comes out of the well and has chlorine into it at about 1 ppm. It then goes through a 100 gallon tank for the chlorine to have enough contact time to be effective. It is then filter by a carbon filter to remove the chlorine. The chlorine removes the iron and sulfur. It then goes into a softening filter that also contains beads that remove tannins.

We have a counter top RO filter that has a carbon filter before and after the RO filter. The water out of this is what we drink.

I can take water from any point in the process. If I take the water right before the softening filter wouldn't that satisfy
your suggestion for a pre-filter?

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »
From what you had said, it can be taken just before it goes into the softener.  If there is tannin in the water, I am not familiar with the Berkeys removing it.

theberkeyguy
www.directive21.com

Offline wagrimm0

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
This question is for the Berkey Guy.  I recently bought a royal Berkey to filter municipal water, but circumstances are forcing me to relocate and my new residence will have well water.  I have already researched that it would be best to take the water to filter in the Berkey before the softening, but I haven't performed a test on the well water itself.  I know that certain particulates, Mg K and others, could be in the well.  What I would like to know is if there are any minerals, deposits or anything that could be damaging to the Berkey.  I will be having the water tested professionally to ascertain exactly what's in the water, but I would just like to know if there is anything in particular I should be cautious of to protect the Black filters as well as the PF-2 filters.  Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
I would recommend getting your well water tested professionally.  Many people do use it for well water and have no problems.

theberkeyguy
www.directive21.com