Author Topic: Tent Stove  (Read 6797 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Tent Stove
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:26:56 PM »
I found a company who modifies tents for a stove jack and now am in need of stove recommendations. Are there any lightweight alternatives to the Kifaru?

Offline Rangeboss

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB member
    • The Shooters Podcast
Re: Tent Stove
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:32:14 PM »
I have a stove from Cabelas I use in my outfitters tent for heat. It weighs 100 lbs and is all steel. ... this  Kifaru looks like a light weight alternative. About the same price...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:24:12 PM »
Four dog stoves
hill people gear
titanium goat
Ed T

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 05:18:48 PM »
Darn, I was hoping there would only be one or two good choices to make it easy. Which of the ones suggested would be the most stable and durable while not killing my back taking it from the car to the site?

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »
They are all good.  The biggest tradeoff is pack-ability vs. ease of assembly.  You do want to be able to put it together with hands numb from the cold and tired from a hard day's hike. 

If you are carrying on your back, the four dogs are probably out.  They are awesome and bulletproof, but don't collapse and are heavy (at least compare to Kifaru).  Asking for a lightweight alternative to Kifaru was kind of an eyebrow raiser...

EdT and TiGoat are really similar--I'm not sure who copied who (but I can guess).  Kind of a PITA to put together on a good day, IMO. But extremely packable.  Not a fan of cooking on a rounded top, either. 

Hill People's seems to be a good compromise on weight/usability/packability, but I didn't see it available on their site right now.  Flat top, solid legs, most parts captured or contained. 

I did not compare prices for any of them.

One note:  A good deal of weight of the Kifaru used to be in the pipe (assume the same is true for hillpeople).  Switching out just the pipe to a TiGoat pipe saved a fair bit of weight if you have a tall pipe. 

nelson96

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
I found a company who modifies tents for a stove jack and now am in need of stove recommendations. Are there any lightweight alternatives to the Kifaru?

First, things to consider:
How big is your tent?
How cold of weather will you camp in?

Keep in mind:
Light weight stoves will wear out quicker. 
Smaller stoves have less burn time requiring more feeding of wood.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »
6 person tent that's 32 sq feet. I'm not planning on taking it below 20 degrees. If it gets that cold I'm packing up and going home.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:24:44 AM »
Hill People also have good DIY instructions if you are so inclined:  http://hillpeoplegear.com/FreeResources/Makeawoodstove/tabid/880/Default.aspx

You also could build a pocket rocket if you can find a metal 5 gallon bucket or popcorn tin. 

If you do build your own, watch out for offgassing of any coatings the first few times.

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline UnderTheRadar

• Senior Survivalist
    • Tactical Woodgas - run your generator on scrap wood
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »
I went with Cylinder Stove.  I put dirt in the bottom to slow wear and tear and after 15 years it is like new.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 05:18:11 AM »
6 person tent that's 32 sq feet. I'm not planning on taking it below 20 degrees. If it gets that cold I'm packing up and going home.

For a tent that small, I would go with a propane heater and a little ventilation, unless you were camping for weeks on end.

This is what I do, and it has worked down to -10, with a proper sleeping bag  ( I use my army issued intermediate cold Mummy bag). Light the propane heater. Once warm, change into my sleeping clothes consisting of fleece pajama pants, a sweatshirt, a clean pair of thick wool socks, and a fleece watch cap. Open up my sleeping bag and lay a wool blanket inside (I think mine is an old east German army blanket, but I have used the US ones as well. Lay down, wrap up in the blanket, zip the bag most of the way, reach out and shut off the heater, then zip up all the way. Be warm as hell until morning when I reach out with one arm, light the heater, thank the man who invented push button electric ignition, and retreat back to my bag for another 10ish minutes, then get up, get dressed, shut the heater off, and go about my day.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 07:02:31 AM »
Wow, that's only $55?? How can it be that cheap?

made in China of questionable grade and gauge of steel.