Author Topic: Should I buy brass casings?  (Read 3212 times)

Offline strangetanks

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Should I buy brass casings?
« on: July 10, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
So I go to my scrap yard all the time to dump stuff, I usually poke around and buy a few things here and there also and am on good terms with the folks there.

They have an enormous crate of bullet casings, I have no idea where they got them and they are pretty mixed up as far as sizes and types go.

I'm not much of a firearm guy, but every time I see that crate all I can think is that there has to be a way to make some money off them besides melting them down for the brass.  They would sell me as much as I want for the price of the scrap but I suppose they would have to be all sorted out. 

Anyone have any idea if this would be worthwhile?  I think it would be something between $2.00 and $4.00 per lb.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Should I buy brass casings?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
It would really depend on the condition of the cases. Good reloadable brass can be sold or traded easily on AmmoBrassTrader or the Cast Boolits sites. You can even find it on eBay. Mixed brass like you describe PROBABLY came from a gun range, hard to know for sure. If that is the case it may have already been picked over. Course it may come from a range where they just sweep it up and sell it for scrap it really requires some more research.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:34:32 AM »
I helped a friend sort brass similar to this once.  His junk yard calls him when brass comes in.  A custom reloader closed their doors once.... there were buckets and buckets to sort, half of it was new brass.  Some unusual calibers but mostly common ones. 

Like Forest says about chocolate...  you never know what your gonna get.

~TG

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:11:43 AM »
Nothing wrong with collecting brass casings if you are ever going to reload.  If you reload you know what you like and will get better at finding what you like.  As mentioned, inspect the quality.  Also keep in mind that most brass you find like this is military brass which takes a little more prep (primer pocket) for reloading.  For my rifle rounds I stay with one brand.  I rarely buy new brass except for calibers that are hard to find.

Niccolum

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
Buy the crate and pay your kids (or the neighbors kids or someone) to sort it for you.  ;D

Tumble, inspect, and then use or resell. Just make sure you're very careful on the inspection for stress cracks, over-pressure bulges, etc. since it's brass of unknown age/origin. You could try selling as-is (i.e. uncleaned, uninspected) but if you can't assert it's true once-fired or know how long it sat out, I'd probably clean it, inspect it, and then charge the "cleaned & ready" price.

The best prices with consistent availability I usually find on once-fired brass is at brassmanbrass.com. You might be able to use that to derive how worthwhile it is.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:37:57 PM »
Buying the brass to sort, clean and resell is likely a zero venture.

If you did a lot of reloading, it may be worth it.

I buy my brass from oncefiredbrass and circle k, they did the leg work for me, and the brass is in good shape.

Right now, primers (in addition to powder) seam hard to find.  I can buy brass and bullets all day long.

TOG

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:14:22 PM »
We scrap very little from my range. Most people take there own.
We let anyone scrounge for personal use. Usually its 22 and 40 that go to the scrap yard. Most of the 100 some cops that come out twice a year shot 40 and leave it. Most the hard core shooters/reloader can't use that much forty.