Author Topic: .22's at Gander Mountain  (Read 4726 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
.22's at Gander Mountain
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »
     Just got back from Gander Mountain. In yesterdays paper I got a sale brochure that they had Remington Thunderbolt .22 LR bricks of 500, for 24.99 (limit 1 per customer). I had to do something in the area today anyway, so I stopped in to pick up a brick...right. Of course the had sold out the day before I got my sale flyer. The clerk pointed out that the sale had started the day previous to the advertisement. He then cheerfully offered a brick of CCI for 49.95. I consider this a bait and switch, and I walked out. First I asked him how the sales of .22 caliber rifles and pistols was going. He replied quite well actually because lots of people want to start out with a low powered firearm. I mentioned that without reasonably priced ammo that might change and then left.
     We will have another "big box" sporting goods chain opening soon and I can't wait to see them take Gander down a peg.   

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: .22's at Gander Mountain
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:43:08 PM »
...We will have another "big box" sporting goods chain opening soon and I can't wait to see them take Gander down a peg.   
I know how you feel. See http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=50343.0

Niccolum

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
     We will have another "big box" sporting goods chain opening soon and I can't wait to see them take Gander down a peg.   

I hope that works out for you, especially in that it has .22LR. We had a Field and Stream Store open near here (it's a Dick's Sporting Goods' mini-Cabelas competitor) and they had a pallet of .22LR ammo at a "normal" price for the grand opening. It was like a shark feeding-frenzy and was gone very quickly. Someone told me the rolled out another pallet for the second day and then it's been out since. We have a fairly good selection of box retailers within a reasonable "I MUST GET AMMO!" driving distance - 2 x Wal-Mart, 2 x Dicks, 2 x Dunhams, 1 x Gander Mtn, and 1 x Field and Stream. I haven't seen common .22LR in almost a year. What little inventory is on hand is high-velocity or match .22LR at exorbitant prices.

Maybe they'll have a special pallet to drive business on their opening day.

d3nni5

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
I hope that works out for you, especially in that it has .22LR. We had a Field and Stream Store open near here (it's a Dick's Sporting Goods' mini-Cabelas competitor) and they had a pallet of .22LR ammo at a "normal" price for the grand opening. It was like a shark feeding-frenzy and was gone very quickly. Someone told me the rolled out another pallet for the second day and then it's been out since. We have a fairly good selection of box retailers within a reasonable "I MUST GET AMMO!" driving distance - 2 x Wal-Mart, 2 x Dicks, 2 x Dunhams, 1 x Gander Mtn, and 1 x Field and Stream. I haven't seen common .22LR in almost a year. What little inventory is on hand is high-velocity or match .22LR at exorbitant prices.

Maybe they'll have a special pallet to drive business on their opening day.

Nicco,
Is this new Field and Stream the one up by Kohl's just outside Washington, PA on your way up to those Tanger outlets?   Up by Texas Roadhouse and TGIFriday's?   My sister told me about that, want to check it out.  When's it opening?

Niccolum

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Is this new Field and Stream the one up by Kohl's just outside Washington, PA on your way up to those Tanger outlets?   Up by Texas Roadhouse and TGIFriday's?   My sister told me about that, want to check it out.  When's it opening?

It's in Cranberry Township on the north end of Pittsburgh, where the PA Turnpike and I-79 meet. It opened last year, right around this time IIRC. I think it's a little better now then when it first opened. It was the very first one and they were still trying to find the right product mixes. If you're ever in the area, it's worth dropping by. They have a decent, but a little high priced, firearms selection. They also have a great archery section if you're into that. Very hunting and fishing focused all around.

d3nni5

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »
Ah ok I go up there once and awhile.   I think a new F & S is going in where I said.   I will try to check it out

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
     Just got back from Gander Mountain. In yesterdays paper I got a sale brochure that they had Remington Thunderbolt .22 LR bricks of 500, for 24.99 (limit 1 per customer). I had to do something in the area today anyway, so I stopped in to pick up a brick...right. Of course the had sold out the day before I got my sale flyer. The clerk pointed out that the sale had started the day previous to the advertisement. He then cheerfully offered a brick of CCI for 49.95. I consider this a bait and switch, and I walked out. First I asked him how the sales of .22 caliber rifles and pistols was going. He replied quite well actually because lots of people want to start out with a low powered firearm. I mentioned that without reasonably priced ammo that might change and then left.

I would love to see a brick of CCI for $50.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »
Your best bet right now is either paying more at a gun show but buy in bulk or ordering in bulk on (GB)gun broker...I only shoot the CCI standard velocity or green tag/match and it's nearly impossible to find as they limit to 1 or 2 boxes of 50 isn't worth the time. On GB right now you can get .22 CCI rnds for about 9-12 cents each when buying 1000+...about the best thing going right now unfortunately