Author Topic: Tumeric  (Read 27145 times)

Offline sarah

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Tumeric
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has posted about turmeric use. I was thinking of starting to make tea with it, and now I am convinced.

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
I'm just about out & am about to re-order.
The brand I use has the pepper chemical  thingy

are there any brands to stay away from or any you recommend? Is that allowed?
TIA
-Mike
My personal prepper blog
Interesting case law: Plummer v. State (of Indiana)
Zechariah 14:12 Mathew 27:52

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »
I will have to try turmeric tea. I have been taking 500mg of turmeric a day for a couple of months now and I am a firm believer in it. I developed a pretty severe case of tennis elbow and couldn't even open a bottle of water without wincing. Taking the turmeric daily has made a world of difference and got rid of some other aches I had. The tennis elbow band I wear now makes a difference too.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2016, 07:39:18 AM »
  A few weeks ago my doctor had me stop taking my Azathoprim and Methotrexate (??). That leaves me with the Tumeric and nothing else I'll let you know what my CK and inflamation look like in two months or so.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2016, 07:46:39 AM »
Last night I took some of the Turmeric/Honey mix I have for tea, and just dug it out with a spoon (I had 2 spoonfuls) and bypassed the tea making part. I had something fall on my leg 9 days ago... it is still swollen up and aching like crazy (no, not broken). This morning it is more tolerable than it has been, I can wiggle my toes without wanting to scream or something. It was not a miracle cure, as my leg is still swollen and black/blue/yellow, but it does feel better than it has been.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »

I usually keep a bottle of tumeric tablets and water at my bedside. I often wake up at night and take a swig of water several times and often take a tablet of tumeric at the same time if I feel a little stress or headache

Offline thepoppacob

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2016, 06:27:44 PM »
I saw earlier on that you get yours from Costco. So does the regular old store bought stuff work the same as the more "exotic" stuff you'd get from a fancy store or on the interwebs? I'd imagine that fresh from your our garden would be beat but for those of us just getting started, would store bought dried turmeric do the trick?

Offline AxeMan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New & Learning
    • Axe and Answered
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2016, 08:41:29 AM »
I used to take it for its anti-inflammatory properties, but it's a bit expensive so I've currently dropped it out of my daily stack. It's hard to say if it helped or not as I didn't have any blood testing done and I wasn't only taking it but other supplements too, but everything I've read about it, it seems legit.

Offline kevinb

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2016, 04:59:28 PM »
You can get it bulk on amazon and cap it yourself. It is very inexpensive

I'm looking into an anti-inflammatory for sinus issues.  Where do you buy your tumeric?

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2016, 08:57:55 PM »
Turmeric is really easy to grow in warm climates, and in cooler regions, makes an amazing houseplant (you actually hate to harvest it, lol)

You can also buy the root fresh at any indian/asian food supplier as bulk root, and it's pretty cheap. I can get 5lbs of fresh root for about $7. No need to dehydrate, grind and stuff capsules... it tastes good. Just eat it. Great in pickled eggs or pickled garlic, just throw in whole tubers, and eat them like small sweet pickles. It's antimicrobial properties help preserve whatever you're pickling, which is a nice additional benefit if you make your own vinegar and are unsure of the acidity.

Do not buy it powdered from the grocery store spice rack... that stuff is crap, and you'll pay $10 an oz.  Also be way of health food stores, they'll charge even more, and it's still been sitting in a warehouse for two years before they can move it. If you can grow it, grow it yourself. If not, go to an asian market. If your town has an indian restaurant, there is an asian market somewhere nearby who supplies them, and trust me, they go through the stuff like american restaurants go through ketchup. They're not paying those insane prices when they use 10 pounds of it every day in their restaurant prep, they have slim profit margins as it is.

Here's how I cultivate it indoors.
Grow it in a 30 gallon pot. 4 plants I find is enough for one person for the whole year. Plant one every three months, they take about a year to mature indoors. This way you are harvesting every 3 months (which is the approximate shelf life of the root if not dried).
Growing hydroponically is best, if you're setup for that. Otherwise, plant in a mix of sand, peat and worm castings, and keep well watered, in full sun outside during the warmer months, a bright window, or under intense lights.

A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher

Offline valley ranch

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2016, 10:18:56 PM »
I'm very interested in Turmeric. I've been reading about it on internet sites, there is mention of bad side effects which surprised me. I have here Turmeric from labeled Mideast from Kradmian importing Co Inc.

I noticed you saying it's no good.

I'd like to know more about it and what is the proper amount to take.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2016, 07:58:12 PM »
I'm back on my meds. After three months it was obvious that I was loosing ground. My CK had jumped to 1200 in that time. So tumeric alone was not enough.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
First Question : Does Tumeric work to reduce the pain of inflammation. Simple answer YES! A more correct answer is "it depends"...

Test Subject: Me.
Background: Quintuple Bypass Surgery, Prior to, in reasonably good health. Very High Stress state probably leading to the inflammations requiring the bypass. Left hospital less than 5 days after surgery. Began monitored cardiac rehabilitation program. Completed successfully. Overall Recovery-- Work in Progress.

I had issues with sleeping due to the pain of inflammation in my muscles and along areas of surgical entry. It was intense enough and debilitating enough that my Surgeon and Cardiologist were willing to risk strong medications (narcotic) to treat. I opted out of that process and they acquiesced to my desires. I took aspirin and Ibuprofen when it was preventing me from getting any kind of sleep. Unfortunately Ibuprofen is damaging to the heart. So not really a good move for a recovering Cardiac Patient to take it. Was at a very serious impasse when an Indian Doctor (from India) suggested I try some herbal supplements. Evaluated over 30 different Supplements and combos. Decided to try Turmeric first. Have tried five different formulations and reached some surprising conclusions... The First was that Turmeric works. That was a surprising find as when I say it worked I mean IT WORKED. The second thing I found is that it DOES NOT work by itself. It must be combined with another ingredient that will increase its bio-availability or your wasting your time and money. I tried it by itself and in combination with 4 other ingredients. For me Tumeric and Black Pepper is the shit. For you it may be different. You must try at least the big three methods to increase bio-availability of tumeric or it wont work. For me Black Pepper extract (or piperine) is the way to go. Your not me and you may need a different  formulation. I chose the Black Pepper extract because for me it works, has over a thousand year history and no known side effects at any reasonable dosage. I also learned that dosage is critical. A little too little equals no effect. Luckily there is no ODing on Tumeric so once I discovered a combination that had a positive effect. I doubled the dose till I had the desired effect and then cut it back till I found the minimum dose that would allow me to function relatively pain free. For me that was 1500mg (6'6", 320#). For you it may be different. This is not Medical Advice, its just a report on what I did, why I did it and if it worked for me. For Medical Advice you must ask a MD or DO. Also after 20 years in the Medical field I've learned that YOUR proper medical team should include both. Their training is equal but there mindset is different... It was the MD that kept me from Dying. It was the D.O. that suggested Natural supplements and helped pick Turmeric as Our starting point. She is now also my PCP and has a very interesting concept of medical care. She considers us a team. Our goal is my health and I am the Team Leader, She's the coach.. and my wife the ass-kicker ;D

Regards,
Shadowalker

P.S. For those guys who may still harbor reservations about choosing/using a woman Dr as your PCP, I ask you this, do you really prefer to have a 40-60yr guy telling you to ... Bend over and spread em!  :o
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

Offline valley ranch

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
I started taking turmeric about a month ago.  Residual inflammation in my hands that my prescription anti inflammatory and methotrexate did not conquer was almost completely eliminated.  This is due to rheumatoid arthritis that I have had for 28 years.  I have been riding round up the last two weeks riding about 5-6 hours per day and then working cattle in pens (on foot) for another few hours.  We have covered about 50 square miles of desert and high desert mountain country.  Normally after the third day I have to let the younger generation take over the riding.  But I am still going strong.  The only thing different is adding 2 500 mg whole turmeric twice daily to my prescription meds.  I think it has really helped.  I have taken fish oil for years as it helps the joint pain as well.

Greetings Rancher, I've just gotten into Turmeric, well, saw your post, you didn't say how you take the turmeric. I'd be interested in that, maybe you could mention how you do and if it's the only thing you use. I'm pretty much retired also, course that means we work anyway. Our girls take care of the cows n bull, feed, water, load, and ride~one daughter has a intact bull she rides.

Well, if you get around to it say how much and how you take it.

Thanks Richard

We're here in the mountains for just a day and will be heading back down to the high desert NV.  The computer they have for me down there is not good but will still if I can get on line look here for a post.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:42:19 AM by valley ranch »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »
I was just reading about tumeric, a couple interesting things.

The first is that you can stick the whole, fresh root into the freezer, and then just take it out and grate it, and put the rest back in the freezer. There are good dried ones, but I wouldnt go cheap.

The other thing I heard was that it needed FAT and a pinch of Black Pepper to be able to utilize it. So, it is rely good in warm/hot milk, but do not boil/overheat your tumeric. I have only been trying it for 2 days, so do not have info on dosaging or how it worked, and I am still on dry. What I found was that it also worked added to my hot cocoa, yes it tastes different, but it is still good, and good for being a "medicine". When I make hot cocoa, I use raw goats milk, 1/2 to 1 t ( yes, little t) of sugar, 1 T cocoa powder, heated bit not boiled or scalded ( so not overheated), and this is interested with tumeric, pepper, and a bit of ginger and cinnamon.

http://fiddleheadscuisine.blogspot.com/2015/11/golden-turmeric-milk.html?spref=fb
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2017, 08:51:27 AM »
My daughter makes me smoothies with turmeric. Don't know if it does any good, but I like smoothies.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2017, 08:03:58 AM »
I picked up some this morning after reading most of this thread. Trying it for hip discomfort. We'll see.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:57 AM »
For some reason you need ground pepper to release all the goodies in Tumeric.
I get a veggie smoothie with tumeric in it almost every day.
Sadly I can't say with any certainty that tumeric it does anything for me.
But they taste okay.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2017, 02:20:35 AM »
What I was able to get has ginger in it. I'll likely add some black pepper.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »
Well after 6 days of 1000mg. a day I can say that I see little if any difference in the leg and hip pain I have when mowing the yard. It's still about 5 minutes mowing and 10/15 minutes resting.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
Well after 6 days of 1000mg. a day I can say that I see little if any difference in the leg and hip pain I have when mowing the yard. It's still about 5 minutes mowing and 10/15 minutes resting.
You may want to try Super Bio-Curcumin made by Life Extension.  It is more easily absorbed by the body.  I could see a difference when I switched to this formulation.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2017, 03:03:51 AM »
I'll take a look at it.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2017, 02:58:02 AM »
After a month I am having 75% less pain when mowing the yard. I never expected 100% relief. I had bought and inexpensive supplement without the pepper extract. Today I've started adding about 1/8 tsp. black pepper with the pill.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:06:29 AM by Redman »

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2017, 08:16:03 AM »
We got turmeric root from the local Asian store, I’ll clean and finely chop a root piece and make it as tea.  Last year we noticed sprouts on some of the root pieces, and planted them.  We now have turmeric growing in multiple planters.
Retired, but still working in the garden...

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2017, 08:26:30 AM »
Yeah I've seen it a lot in a local Asian store. Last week I saw it in a non-Asian grocery store. I've never bought it whole.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2017, 08:33:24 AM »
Almost every grocery store around here with a decent vegetable department has tumeric root now.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
I wasn't surprised seeing it in that store since there is a Asian community in the area but it was the first time seeing it there. If I shopped at the stores most people in my area do I doubt I would find turmeric there.

Offline alpacamade

• Prepper
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
I have also added turmeric to my routine; smoothie for breakfast. I was pretty sure I was really late
to the party, but I see no one has talked about "golden milk" yet. WellnessMama has several variations
of turmeric beverages at her .:bloghttps://wellnessmama.com/223/turmeric-tea-recipe/:.

I dump two teaspoons of dry turmeric into a milk based smoothie aided by fresh ground black pepper and other
anti-inflammatory spices. I confess it is not a magic bullet however; I do not have to take NSAID, or other prescription pain meds for my arthritis. Thank God. The specific smoothie ingredients change but not the turmeric or pepper.

"The rest of those who have gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow." William Forrester

"When I bleed a little and sweat a lot, it makes me feel like I accomplish something." PrepperJim