Author Topic: What Did You Harvest Today?  (Read 72299 times)

Offline MJWitt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What Did You Harvest Today?
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
Blackberries (and more blackberries). Apples just about ready and that will be it for this year.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »
Apples

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2017, 04:11:48 PM »
Mmmmm....ear corn

Offline Nomad 76

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Nomad 76 Channel on YouTube
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »
 A bundle of Kale, a few cherry Tomatoes, and one cucumber. Oh and ten Chicken egg and eight Quail eggs. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »
Revived thread.  ;D

Tomatoes, okra.

Not happy with my garden this year.
It's either been mud, too dry, storms breaking off plants, plants sitting here sucking up resources producing nothing, and now japanese beetles on the corn.  >:(

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
More jelly? Told wife next time cantaloupes are cheap here stand back I'm making jelly.

Well?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2018, 02:35:14 AM »
Well?

Currently taking cantaloupes under advisement. Recent inventory showed 41 half pints of various jellys/jams on the shelf. Cantaloupe prices are as good as they'll likely get. Also said next time pineapples come cheap I was going to can some. Saw them yesterday for $0.89. I need to get some more soup on shelf, that has been in the plans also. And I need to do more meat, freezer is still crammed. What to do, what to do.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #187 on: July 14, 2018, 11:17:54 AM »
Currently taking cantaloupes under advisement. Recent inventory showed 41 half pints of various jellys/jams on the shelf. Cantaloupe prices are as good as they'll likely get. Also said next time pineapples come cheap I was going to can some. Saw them yesterday for $0.89. I need to get some more soup on shelf, that has been in the plans also. And I need to do more meat, freezer is still crammed. What to do, what to do.

Lightweight.  ;D

Picking tomatoes every day. Not what there should be due to the heat, but we are getting some. Peppers have started to pick up. Corbica and ancho's still have not produced and fruit. Blooms are there, but are asleep.  ???

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »
Cucamelons, cucumbers, zucchini, radishes, blackcaps.  I love summer!

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »
I hope you guys are south of Michigan.  We’re in a lull here.  Peas and lettuce just finished.  Pumpkins just started fruiting.  Beans, edamame, corn, onions, carrots, etc.  all look good but are over a month away.  Peaches and plums also look great, but the apple and pear crops will be so so...

It was a very wet spring here.  That rotted out some stuff and held up planting others.  Fortunately, many younger and more energetic folks around us are doing better so the farmer markets should be good.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2018, 01:34:56 PM »
I hope you guys are south of Michigan.  We’re in a lull here.  Peas and lettuce just finished.  Pumpkins just started fruiting.  Beans, edamame, corn, onions, carrots, etc.  all look good but are over a month away.  Peaches and plums also look great, but the apple and pear crops will be so so...

It was a very wet spring here.  That rotted out some stuff and held up planting others.  Fortunately, many younger and more energetic folks around us are doing better so the farmer markets should be good.

Yes, Missouri.
Onery Redman is in Texas.

Have I've got a good Bud in Delton up there.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
  Im knew it!m Some of you people have FRIENDS....Butternut squash is really  producing in the hand tossed garden and I found a family that will pick on halves.....

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »
  Im knew it!m Some of you people have FRIENDS....Butternut squash is really  producing in the hand tossed garden and I found a family that will pick on halves.....

Yep, yer one to.  ;D

How are you going to fix your squash?

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2018, 04:45:03 PM »
Currently taking cantaloupes under advisement. Recent inventory showed 41 half pints of various jellys/jams on the shelf. Cantaloupe prices are as good as they'll likely get.
Lightweight.  ;D

Jez, no slappy here.

Lightweight huh, wife said "cantaloupes huh, make the precious jelly and buy enough to just eat". So much for the soup I wanted to make. I ain't scared and ain't no lightweight either. Buying cantaloupes tomorrow, enough for jelly and to just eat.

BTW canning fodder is the only reason for making a grocery run tomorrow.  ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »
So whats the cantaloupe prices down there? I haven't ck'ed here, waiting on ours to get going. Fruit has just started on the plants. They are way behind, I should be concerned with the coons eating em by now.

10-4 on the canning fodder  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #195 on: July 14, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
Jez, no slappy here.

Thank goodness.  :egyptian:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #196 on: July 14, 2018, 05:46:13 PM »
  I cube the squash and chop red and green pepper and onion along with angry shredded tomato as a 'soup' that I add most any kind of ham or beef (or bacon) to for flavor and fat...this mix is simmered for as long as I forget it and is ready for me or company as it is so healthy and yummy.

I have also fire roasted some as this squash is hard to mess up and you can cook it as if it were a potato and even make fries! with onion and bacon in the area seeds occupied ,it will bake up GREAT also...Mom also makes 'pumpkin' pie with the squash as a somewhat milder substitutes.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #197 on: July 14, 2018, 08:13:38 PM »
Yes, Missouri.
Onery Redman is in Texas.

Have I've got a good Bud in Delton up there.

I’m near Gobles, about 30 miles west of your bud.  He’s in west MI, too.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #198 on: July 15, 2018, 03:10:07 AM »
So whats the cantaloupe prices down there? I haven't ck'ed here, waiting on ours to get going. Fruit has just started on the plants. They are way behind, I should be concerned with the coons eating em by now.

10-4 on the canning fodder  ;D ;D ;D
Cantaloupe is advertised $0.98 ea. at store I go to.  Checked Kroger close to me $2.48 ea.  :rofl:
  I cube the squash and chop red and green pepper and onion along with angry shredded tomato as a 'soup' that I add most any kind of ham or beef (or bacon) to for flavor and fat...this mix is simmered for as long as I forget it and is ready for me or company as it is so healthy and yummy.

I have also fire roasted some as this squash is hard to mess up and you can cook it as if it were a potato and even make fries! with onion and bacon in the area seeds occupied ,it will bake up GREAT also...Mom also makes 'pumpkin' pie with the squash as a somewhat milder substitutes.

Yeah I bake/roast butternut, acorn, cushaw. The cushaw I just canned will become pie, soup, dessert bread, mashed with butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »
SE PA here:

Strawberry, lettuce, radish, peas, cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus are done.  Strawberry did fine.  It's only enough as a side dish for the family (though it is a family of 7).  Lettuce and peas were light this year.  Too wet.  My neighbors rooster and some rabbits got into my lettuce, peas, and beans though.  Which means I harvested his rooster and some rabbits too.  (full disclosure - I spoke to the neighbor ahead of time.)  Asparagus I only did one cutting as I hope they spread some more.  But cauliflower and broccoli were beautiful. 

We've been picking beans, blueberry and raspberry for the past few weeks.  (Currently deciding where else in the yard to put a few more raspberry bushes.)  I think the blueberry are done now though.  Cucumber, tomato, squash, zukes, spaghetti squash, carrots, and bell pepper started to come in this past week.  Plus the 10 chickens are giving 8-9 eggs a day. 

I did cilantro and basil for the first time this year.  And I noticed that the Mexican bean beetles weren't as bad as they had been in the past.  Anyone know if there's a connection?  Or if the smaller planting might have "hidden" them?

My wife made a zucchini lasagna that was great even if it didn't have meat!  I don't all the details, but essentially she sliced up some zukes and pre-cooked them.  Added some ricotta and homemade tomato sauce.  Layered with more sliced zukes.  Repeat.  Topped with some mozzarella.  Only the cheese wasn't from the yard. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #200 on: July 16, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
Tomatoes, okra (red this year + the normal green), onions, peppers.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #201 on: July 16, 2018, 04:53:22 PM »
SE PA here:

Strawberry, lettuce, radish, peas, cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus are done.  Strawberry did fine.  It's only enough as a side dish for the family (though it is a family of 7).  Lettuce and peas were light this year.  Too wet.  My neighbors rooster and some rabbits got into my lettuce, peas, and beans though.  Which means I harvested his rooster and some rabbits too.  (full disclosure - I spoke to the neighbor ahead of time.)  Asparagus I only did one cutting as I hope they spread some more.  But cauliflower and broccoli were beautiful. 

We've been picking beans, blueberry and raspberry for the past few weeks.  (Currently deciding where else in the yard to put a few more raspberry bushes.)  I think the blueberry are done now though.  Cucumber, tomato, squash, zukes, spaghetti squash, carrots, and bell pepper started to come in this past week.  Plus the 10 chickens are giving 8-9 eggs a day. 

I did cilantro and basil for the first time this year.  And I noticed that the Mexican bean beetles weren't as bad as they had been in the past.  Anyone know if there's a connection?  Or if the smaller planting might have "hidden" them?

My wife made a zucchini lasagna that was great even if it didn't have meat!  I don't all the details, but essentially she sliced up some zukes and pre-cooked them.  Added some ricotta and homemade tomato sauce.  Layered with more sliced zukes.  Repeat.  Topped with some mozzarella.  Only the cheese wasn't from the yard.

8)  8)  8)

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
Tomatoes, okra (red this year + the normal green), onions, peppers.

Red okra? You do know that stuff is if the nightshade family. Also tomatoes, okra, onions, peppers sounds like a heckuva meal to me.  :clap:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »
Red okra? You do know that stuff is if the nightshade family. Also tomatoes, okra, onions, peppers sounds like a heckuva meal to me.  :clap:

First time growing red okra.

Yea, great meal. It's called Salsa.  ;D ;D Good stuff manard....

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2018, 07:35:14 PM »
I'm honestly overwhelmed. Those of us in this environment deal with ice cold for 11.5 months of the year and then  everything jumps at once.

I have made sour cherry preserves from the tree. I collect 4 heirloom tomatoes daily. We (mostly my 3 year old) eat a pint of ground cherries daily. Between the tomatoes and basil I'm baking pizzas on the grill near daily. We've harvested grape leaves and used them to make Egyptian rolls. Barely getting the raspberries. The hazelnuts are getting close to picking.

I'm smoked and this year I'm not keeping up with the currants. Sorry mead, the birds win this year. I'll be back.

As they would say there's a reason I was born in February. Not much for mom and dad to do between sowing seeds and starting to harvest.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #205 on: July 18, 2018, 05:40:53 PM »
Tomatoes, red and green okra. Also pulled some onions, and dug a few white taters.

I found a https://www.eatwell101.com/garlic-parmesan-roasted-potatoes-recipe awesome looking tater recipe I want to try out. I usually don't follow the rules with recipes, I just add my own.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #206 on: July 18, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
Peaches are done... probably no more fruit until the apples and pears get ready.

I picked tomatoes today. We aren't eating them fast enough... may have to start dehydrating. I also need to start dehydrating the fresh herbs for wintertime. The oregano, basil, thyme and parsley are all ready to go. Dill already went to seed :)

Cucumbers are doing well... they are stacking up inside.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »
No-one up where I live has tomatoes ripe yet, we had a cold June.  On the other hand, we almost always have warm enough falls that the tomatoes will linger and we can pick for thanksgiving, a few.  Main crops should be september. 

So, I harvested some magenta spreen lambs quarters and purslane today, and a couple early blackberries.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #208 on: July 19, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
Picked some chamomile flowers and stuck them in the dehydrator. 

While I was weeding pulled a good handful of nice purslane.  Trying to decide if I should can it, freeze it or dehydrate it.

Harvested some of my chard.