Author Topic: Dave Ramsey  (Read 16712 times)

Offline JokersWild

• TSP Mule
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • You can't save all the starfish.
Re: Dave Ramsey
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »
Before I say this next thing, I want to, again, state that I think Dave's advice is sound and has helped me a lot.  I recommend Dave Ramsey's plan/courses.  However, if you want to see why there are some negatives about him, take his Financial Peace University (regularly conducted at churches) and then watch his show on Fox Finance.  There are two Daves.  There's the godly, heartfelt, helpful Dave and there's a Dave that seems (to me) to be getting a bit more self-aware than I like and who is a bit less compassionate than "Church Dave".
I can attest there is a difference from when I first started listening to him some years ago, 4 or 5 maybe, and his presentation today both on the radio and FBN. Personally I never cared for his ministering with his advice but I knew sound advice when I heard it. I suppose those people who view him from religious terms may have issue with his presentation but even shepherds sometimes had to take the cane to their sheep to get them to go the right way. :)

I will agree if that if his evolution (no pun intended) continues that he's going to end up being a male Suze Orman (who I really do detest).

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 12:09:44 PM »
You may be right Joker, though haven't seen Dave's fox show.  In Dave's defense I find his presentation entertaining and I really think that a lot folks need that "shock and awe" approach to really realize that they are FUBAR with their finances.  Lord knows I needed it several years ago.  Though he does bring up biblical references occasionally, I never got the sense that he was evangelizing or preaching.  At any rate, I recommend to folks that aren't receptive to Dave's style, to listen to Clark Howard.  I like Clark too, he's just not as entertaining.  I have never listened too Suze Ormond so can't compare. 

For what it's worth,
Bersker Prime

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »
You may be right Joker, though haven't seen Dave's fox show.  In Dave's defense I find his presentation entertaining and I really think that a lot folks need that "shock and awe" approach to really realize that they are FUBAR with their finances.  Lord knows I needed it several years ago.  Though he does bring up biblical references occasionally, I never got the sense that he was evangelizing or preaching.  At any rate, I recommend to folks that aren't receptive to Dave's style, to listen to Clark Howard.  I like Clark too, he's just not as entertaining.  I have never listened too Suze Ormond so can't compare. 

For what it's worth,
Bersker Prime

Here you go, Suze at her finest:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=962125111&play=1

Offline JokersWild

• TSP Mule
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • You can't save all the starfish.
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 08:48:55 AM »

For what it's worth,
Bersker Prime
I won't disagree with you one iota on your assessment and I'm not downing Dave in any manner. I just recognize that he's changed over time as his success has grown and while he appears to be staying true to his message he's not as close to his down home roots as he once was. I'm all for straight talk and he delivers well. He's called his show his ministry and I won't fault him for using his talents as he sees fit because he is doing a lot of good in my opinion.

I used to follow Suze Orman several years ago and had even met her at a book signing and she was pleasant enough. However in the last couple of years she's got more vocal with her male bashing and personifies the Boys are dumb. Throw rocks at them attitude.

I like Clark Howard too. I'd call him the "softer sided" Dave. :D

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »
I think it's easier to be more 'honest' when your a local radio guy.  I listened to DR on the way from NM to MO when he was out of OK.  I do think that Jack is right in that he's so popular that if he coulc pass on advise that could cause a run on the banks (not depression sized but good enough).  There fore I think he's holding back a bit. 

Unfortunatley we don't get his show in AK and I have to listen to archived show's on the net which I don't do often anymore do to time (and maybe this forum? ;D)

Berserker Prime

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »
I don't think Dave is God, but the wife and I have been fans for a few years now.  We are going to lead Financial Peace University at our church as soon as we can herd the cats together and pin down a start date.  The material in that course is excellent.  At least it was when we went through it - I haven't seen the new edition videos yet.

Where I disagree with him is when he treats a minor moral infraction as if it was a full blown addiction.  Like when he compares a wife finding pics of boobies on her husband's computer with finding cocaine in his sock drawer.  Ultimatum time!  Immediate marriage counseling!  Install special filtering software from one of his sponsors!  Oh joy...  By that standard, at least 90% of the adult male population is doomed.

Also, I think his investment style is more risk tolerant than many people are ready for.  Some people are better off emotionally with CDs.  But at least by taking his advice about budgeting, saving, and debt elimination, they're still much better off than they would be otherwise.

Thanks to the Baby Steps our house is paid off.  ;D