Author Topic: any ideas about surplus granite scrap  (Read 22056 times)

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
any ideas about surplus granite scrap
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
I work at a granite shop and have access to unlimited amounts of granite scrap.mostly sink cut outs and pieces left over from the slab.I want some out of the box thinking.I know about pathways and about garden edging.what would you do of you were in my position.also I heard that granite dust is good for your garden. How much would you use.for let's say a square foot.thanks in advance for you time and replys

nelson96

Re: any ideas about surplus granite scrap
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:30:15 AM »
Granite tiles are becoming popular around here for low cost means of adding a new countertop.  As long as the thickness was uniform, I think it would be cool to see one with variations in color and size.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
Pizza stones?: http://www.amazon.com/Granite-Pizza-Bread-Stone-kit/dp/B002Z5M6AU

Get some nice oak and make side tables for living rooms or corner tables for bathrooms?

Make ~7" granite disks and sell as "food tiles" which can be put in the freezer/oven and then used to keep foods cold/hot while serving.

Fancy pants sushi platters (can be cooled before use)?

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »
Bed warmers. heat them up then put in your bed 30 min. before you go there.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »
I would put 1-2" of granite dust on the surface, put 2-3" of manure on top of that and mix it in with a pick-mattox so it's evenly mixed in the top 8-12" of your soil.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:49:46 PM »
Or build raised beds of the slabs and let it leach into the soil over time,

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
I have seen a whole house floor tiled with these leftover ends of granite countertops. Thicker than tile, so more thermal mass to hold passive solar gain. They broke them, so random sizes and jagged ends

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:11:50 PM »
We tiled our kitchen and sun room with scrap stone from torn out bathrooms, sink cutouts, broken slabs, etc.  I specified I wanted no identical colors adjacent, so the installers used a "jigsaw" method.  First they straightened out the edges, laid that piece, then selected the next piece.  If there was an irregular edge, then just sawed it straight and laid that next to the first one, and just moved on.  The end result was a mixture of marble, travertine, fossiliferous, and many types of granite.  After the entire floor was laid, they polished everything to the same gloss.  It might sound like a mess, but it was absolutely beautiful and helped sell out house in record time.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
How did you arrange to get this type of floor done ? did the granite/slab store do it ? I ask as I need a floor done in my house

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
Bed warmers. heat them up then put in your bed 30 min. before you go there.

Yeah.. be careful with that. I woke up to the sheets crisping and smelling like burnt toast once.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:33:36 PM »
I work at a granite shop and have access to unlimited amounts of granite scrap.mostly sink cut outs and pieces left over from the slab.I want some out of the box thinking.I know about pathways

How slippery are the paths going to be when wet?
Man.. I could have a heyday with that stuff!

Cedar

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »
How did you arrange to get this type of floor done ? did the granite/slab store do it ? I ask as I need a floor done in my house

I sent you a PM, but basically we shopped stone yards and specified we wanted scrap.  They were happy to get rid of broken slabs and to recycle slabs and pieces from tearouts.  Our house was in Houston and we did this about 20 years ago.  I don't know what the cost might be today, but the materials were dirt cheap.  If you had a diamond saw, you could probably do this yourself.  As I mentioned, we had a unique floor that made out house outstanding.  Another benefit in Houston was that the slabs were at least 1" thick and served as a heat sink in the hot weather.  In a cold climate, I would recommend underfloor heating or something because it will be cool like the earth underneath.  I don't think this kind of floor would be a good idea for applications other than on the ground with a good concrete slab for support due to the weight of the materials, but please check with installers for what will work best in your application.

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
How slippery are the paths going to bf e when wet?
Man.. I could have a heyday with that stuff!

Cedar
.    It's extremely slippery when wet. But if you put the polished side down and take a 400 grit polishing pad to it to bring out the color and it would still have some grip.or you could get a bottle of enhancer andapply that to the unfinished side.its sad to see all of it go to waste. .we throw away a 4x4x4 hopper filled to the brim away twice a day.some times more.

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 10:42:51 AM »
Pizza stones?: http://www.amazon.com/Granite-Pizza-Bread-Stone-kit/dp/B002Z5M6AU

Get some nice oak and make side tables for living rooms or corner tables for bathrooms?

Make ~7" granite disks and sell as "food tiles" which can be put in the freezer/oven and then used to keep foods cold/hot while serving.

Fancy pants sushii platters (can be cooled before use)?
.    I could make a fortune! Thanks for the idea

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 10:52:24 AM »
I was also thinking of making a manual for trees.ie etch out on a piece of granite.... This is a ...fill in the blank ....type of tree it can be used for .... And its medical property's are..... And so on. But it could be a teaching tool for when I'm long gone.thoughts?

Offline The Dark Unicorn

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 03:13:32 PM »
You said sink cutouts?

How about a nice basic countertop protector. Polish the edges and put little rubber or silicone feet on. Simple and easy to do.

Sounds like many of us would have a field day going thru the scrap and finding uses for it........

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 04:04:25 PM »
You said sink cutouts?

How about a nice basic countertop protector. Polish the edges and put little rubber or silicone feet on. Simple and easy to do.

Sounds like many of us would have a field day going thru the scrap and finding uses for it........
.  A sink cut out is a piece of granite that is cut away from the counter in the shape of the client's sink.99% of the time this piece is thrown away

Offline Barton

• Survivor
  • Quail Daddy
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
A local person here takes granite scraps and makes cheese cutting boards out of them with natural rough edges.  She sells them at the local farmers market.   

Offline Aniera

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »
Nice that is a good problem to have. As for granite dust in the garden, keep in mind that when people say "granite" for counter tops and stuff, they really just mean any sort of stone other than marble, soapstone, or slate. This of course drives geologists crazy since how can you call a metamorphic gneiss granite or a mafic gabbro granite! They do not have the same rock or mineral composition at all which means the mineral elements that you hope to get out of it and into your garden are going to be different. If you can pick, go with the darker colored "granites" which indicates they will have more calcium and magnesium in them typically (mafic igneous rocks essentially, another bonus is they will break down a lot faster than real granite since mafic minerals weather out much faster).  Also metamorphic slabs (ones with all of the banding and what not) with interesting looking different colored minerals could have some nice accessory minerals that are not typical which would be more of a bang for your buck I think.

As a side note, one way to freak out a realtor when you are looking at homes with them is to tell them what they are calling granite isn't granite :) They really have no idea what they are talking about. 

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 10:43:53 AM »
Nice that is a good problem to have. As for granite dust in the garden, keep in mind that when people say "granite" for coujinter tops and stuff, they really just mean any sort of stone other than marble, soapstone, or slate. This of course drives geologists crazy since how can you call a metamorphic gneiss granite or a mafic gabbro granite! They do not have the same rock or mineral composition at all which means the mineral elements that you hope to get out of it and into your garden are going to be different. If you can pick, go with the darker colored "granites" which indicates they will have more calcium and magnesium in them typically (mafic igneous rocks essentially, another bonus is they will break down a lot faster than real granite since mafic minerals weather out much faster).  Also metamorphic slabs (ones with all of the banding and what not) with interesting looking different colored minerals could have some nice accessory minerals that are not typical which would be more of a bang for your buck I think.

As a side note, one way to freak out a realtor when you are looking at homes with them is to tell them what they are calling granite isn't granite :) They really have no idea what they are talking about.
thanks I've been taking the dust from a multiple granites thinking it would have greater mineral diversity.I'm new to gardening so I haven't applied any dust to said beds.I guess I will find out after this season.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 11:24:04 AM »
I was also thinking of making a manual for trees.ie etch out on a piece of granite.... This is a ...fill in the blank ....type of tree it can be used for .... And its medical property's are..... And so on. But it could be a teaching tool for when I'm long gone.thoughts?

That seems like a lot of work (I don't know what tools would be needed, probably something computer controlled for s professional appearance), but if I understand you correctly then it would be really cool. Basically it's like a identification sign for a tree ("guide stone") with a few key pieces of information, right? You could etch in the common name, botanical name, and interesting facts. More personalized stones could be made to order using specific information from the customer (estimated age of tree, origin, height, history...).

I can see people buying these for gardens, city parks, botanical gardens, city garden clubs, etc.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
Cut into small cubes and sell them for cooling you drinks.
Its all the rage with the scotch guys. Cools it down without watering in down.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
Cut into small cubes and sell them for cooling you drinks.
Its all the rage with the scotch guys. Cools it down without watering in down.

Oh yeah, that would be cool! I don't have them (marketed under the name "whiskey stones"), but I'd imagine granite ones could work if the sealant is appropriate.

Offline Rohloffc

• Prepper
  • I may be new, but I'm Feral!
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
As much as I appreciate all of these ideas, we must remember that this granite is finished and sealed before the OP even touches it.  This would make any use for food or water completely unsafe.

Worked in the industry for more than ten years.  I wouldn't put the stuff you get for counter tops anywhere near my garden or near anything I was planning on eating or drinking.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 11:12:44 AM »
We tiled our kitchen and sun room with scrap stone from torn out bathrooms, sink cutouts, broken slabs, etc.  I specified I wanted no identical colors adjacent, so the installers used a "jigsaw" method.  First they straightened out the edges, laid that piece, then selected the next piece.  If there was an irregular edge, then just sawed it straight and laid that next to the first one, and just moved on.  The end result was a mixture of marble, travertine, fossiliferous, and many types of granite.  After the entire floor was laid, they polished everything to the same gloss.  It might sound like a mess, but it was absolutely beautiful and helped sell out house in record time.

picture?

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »
That seems like a lot of work (I don't know what tools would be needed, probably something computer controlled for s professional appearance), but if I understand you correctly then it would be really cool. Basically it's like a identification sign for a tree ("guide stone") with a few key pieces of information, right? You could etch in the common name, botanical name, and interesting facts. More personalized stones could be made to order using specific information from the customer (estimated age of tree, origin, height, history...).

I can see people buying these for gardens, city parks, botanical gardens, city garden clubs, etc.
that's exactly what I was thinking.there are two ways of doing this. One way would be to cover the stone with tape and sand blast the area. Or the easier option is a laser etching. Just type in the info and away you go.we do not have one of this machines at our shop. But could be out sourced.I have a 8x8 tile with a bird etched in it.it is crazy detailed.they can even do portraits.this is usually used in the monuments and head stones.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 03:24:40 PM »
If I had these resources and land, I'd use them to frame any raised beds that were going in the front yard.  I'd also use them for ammunition and counter-weights for a trebuchet, which might also make it into the front yard.

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
If I had these resources and land, I'd use them to frame any raised beds that were going in the front yard.  I'd also use them for ammunition and counter-weights for a trebuchet, which might also make it into the front yard.trebuchet sounds awesome,seeing as I live in the city,I don't think that's going to fly.....tehe! See what I did there.I would be worried about uneven weight sloppily flying around.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 03:50:51 PM »
Well I suppose it all depends on how you cut the ammo.  You could easily cut all the counter-balance to be square, and stack it up.  :P

Offline hoosiermom

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 07:31:35 PM »
.  A sink cut out is a piece of granite that is cut away from the counter in the shape of the client's sink.99% of the time this piece is thrown away

I had NO idea these things were thrown away!!  I just got the ok to redo my kitchen - paint cabinets, countertops, etc. - and I'm planning to do it on my own.  I love the idea of a tiled granite countertop if indeed I could get the scraps at a great discount.