Author Topic: Help with gear for quail hunting  (Read 14524 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Help with gear for quail hunting
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:34:37 PM »
I met a guy at my church who said he'll take me quail hunting this year. I'm pretty stoked as I've never gone hunting before but have wanted to start. He's been going every year forever so I'm hoping to have a good time maybe bring back a bird or two.

What gear should I get? I don't want to buy the best most amazing stuff because (while I doubt it) I may hate this and never want to do it again. I don't want to go gearless and not enjoy myself as much as I could because I'm limited.

He said all I really need is a bird vest and shells. Is there anything else I should consider? And any vest recommendations? I see them ranging in price from $30 upwards of $200. Can I get by with a $30 vest for my first time or would it be worth it to spend a little more?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Help with gear for quail hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:18:07 PM »
Comfortable boots, preferably water proof. Good wool socks.

A vest doesn't need to be fancy. Bear in mind you will likely be stuffing dead birds in the back.

Vest, shotgun, shells, boots - you're pretty well covered.

nelson96

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:07:11 PM »
I may hate this and never want to do it again.

Good luck with that.  :o

You don't need much, keep it simple and comfortable. . . .  joeinnw covered it. . . .  That's said, you don't even need a vest.

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:25:01 PM »
The first time I went upland bird hunting I was worried about the brush and over dressed and sweated for the first half... Remember if you are moving around a lot it won't take much in the way of insulation. I would just grab a cheap vest and some shells and go get after it!

Rich

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »
Thanks guys. I don't expect it will be too wet since we're in the desert and I have a decent pair of shoes. Boots are on my list but I haven't gotten around to getting them. I'll probably get an inexpensive vest so I have something to carry shells in and (hopefully) stuff birds into.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
Remember, after dark, high deserts can get cold.

Cedar

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »

Cedar

Yeah, but we are most definitely not high desert.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 11:40:22 AM »
May be obvious but:
Bugspray
Sunscreen
Hat
Eyepro
Earpro

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »
Quail hunting in the desert southwest, especially around Tucson means hiking through cactus country and rocks.  Good boots that you have already broken in are the single most important item.  I prefer cotton socks most of the year in this country.  I save the wool for colder climates.  Good quality denim pants and a long sleeve light protective shirt are also a very good idea.  Get a canvas (100% cotton) vest as it will be much cooler,  make sure that it is a hunting pattern that has the game pouch in the back.  If you are hunting with people that you don't know make sure it is Orange not camo.  I also carry a pocket comb as the teddy bear chollas like to stick to you.  If you try to get them off with your hand or a stick they just keep changing attachment points on your body.  A comb can be slid under the Cholla joint so that you can flip the cactus off of you and away from your friends.  Also wear a good hat that shades your eyes.  Quail are good at slipping away from you if you lose sight of them in the glare. 

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 02:15:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I was planning on going to Sportsman's to look at a vest they showed online. Seems decent for the price and has the pouch in the back that my friend suggested.

And unfortunately I'm all to familiar with cholla cactus and will be ready for them.

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
Quail hunting has always been one of my favorite shooting sports.  Good luck.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 04:33:01 PM »
Thanks. I've been wanting to hunt for a couple years now but never new anyone who could take me and show me the basics. I'm really looking forward to this. Just getting out with some friends and shooting will be great, I'm hoping to bring some meat home which will be even better.

nkawtg

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »

Cedar
I wish I was in the High Desert, the average low temperature in July was 83 here in Vegas.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »
One more thing: a hunting license.

Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, just pay $20 or so for a chit down at the local gear shop, but in a lot of states (all?) now you need to show proof of a hunter safety course.  Which also isn't that big a deal either if you can find a course at a time and place you can take it, in time before the first hunt.  Now sometimes finding a course at a time and place where you can make it, all in time before bird season begins, now that can be a hassle.  The good news is that you probably have plenty of time to get through the course (it's still early August after all), they're free-to-cheap, and most state's fish & wildlife web sites have listings or at least contact info for where to sign up.

Yes, it's one more hoop to jump through, but in the bureaucratic pain-o-meter it falls somewhere between paying a parking ticket and getting your Tech ham license.  It really isn't bad at all.

Don't put this one off, it'll sneak up on you and cause you to miss opening day.

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
Don't know how much experience you have shooting little fast moving targets with a shotgun, but a trip or two to the skeet/trap range might be in order.  Check with your friend about what chokes he uses and try to match it with your shotgun.  It sucks to have a open choke shotgun when the quail are jumping way out there. 

When you get some take the breast meat off, put some green chili between 2 pieces of meat and wrap with bacon.  Grill until yummy.  Slap your momma good.

Good luck

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
I do need to get a license, not a big deal. Hunter safety courses aren't required here as far as I know, I will check on that.

And unfortunately I can't run a choke as I'll be taking my Mossberg 500. I have thought about taking a trip to the skeet range and am going to see if I can fit a day of that in.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 05:55:34 PM »
Got a vest today and some shells.

Quick question since I normally only buy slugs or buckshot for two legged varmints:

I noticed two different brands of #7 shot had similar weight and velocity, but one was labeled for hunting and the other was labeled as 'light target loads'. Is there something I'm missing there or is it just marketing?

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »
Marketing.

Personally I prefer to use steel shot when hunting...don't like eating lead.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »
Oops, good call. I think I bought lead... Guess I'll have to go back and get some steel...  I meant to get another box or two next month so no big deal, guess I can add 25 more shells to the target practice box.

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »
Find out what shells your friend is shooting.....and buy those. I highly doubt he is using steel unless it's required by law.

Are you hunting with a dog?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »
I asked what shot I should get and he said 7 or 8 so I went with 7 1/2 since that was a better price. Not sure about the dog... I don't think so but I could be wrong.

I'm mostly planning on hanging in the back of the group (a few guys and me) for the first hour or so and watching what's going on, then I'll start shooting if I get the chance. I've only shot at clays so being in an environment where we are moving and shooting will be new and the last thing I want to do is sweep someone with my gun because I wasn't paying attention to everyone. I want to see what they are doing and how so I can fit in with their style and be safe at the same time.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
So, do you have boots and a hat?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 04:37:45 PM »
No and yes, going to be looking for a good pair of boots. I've been wanting to get some and now is the perfect time.

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »
I asked what shot I should get and he said 7 or 8 so I went with 7 1/2 since that was a better price. Not sure about the dog... I don't think so but I could be wrong.

I'm mostly planning on hanging in the back of the group (a few guys and me) for the first hour or so and watching what's going on, then I'll start shooting if I get the chance. I've only shot at clays so being in an environment where we are moving and shooting will be new and the last thing I want to do is sweep someone with my gun because I wasn't paying attention to everyone. I want to see what they are doing and how so I can fit in with their style and be safe at the same time.
Usually quail hunting involves a dog......so it is important to understand the "dog rules".  Ie not shooting at low flying birds...When to move in on a point.....your interaction with the dog etc.   

I also like to get a clear view of the safety rules.....especially in a large group. You mentioned hanging back and getting comfortable.......and not worrying about shooting, that seems like a great idea.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 06:38:19 PM »
I know a lot of people use dogs, but I've also seen quite a few videos where people aren't. I'll see him this weekend and ask him then.

and not worrying about shooting, that seems like a great idea.

I'm going hunting, not shooting. In fact I'm wondering if two boxes of shells is going to be overkill for the situation... I have no idea. And if I bring home one bird I'll be happy. It'll be the most expensive meal I've ever eaten though ;)

I'm mostly hoping to learn from this and get an idea of what to do. I really want to add hunting to my list of skills. I understand it won't be run and gun and feathers flying everywhere, and that's OK. I want to have a good time and for everyone to come home with no more holes in their body than they left with that morning.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »
Not sure what the area is like but I always send my girls with the snake boots. Rocky brushy part of east Texas is nasty with snakes right now. Line walk, watch your lane of fire. Hat and a first aid kit just in case.  Good luck! My husband goes through two boxes and brings me squat! My girls go through one box each and limit out LOL.  Dont tell their Daddy I said that.

Edit: we dont use dogs here. Becareful "hanging back" you need to stay in line if your walking, you dont want to get excited and shoot and realize your buddy is standing in your lane.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 04:28:39 PM »
When I have been, we didn't allow 'hanging back.' No one wants someone behind them with a shotgun.

Also, hanging back can get you snake bit. The first guy by wakes up the rattler and the second guy gets bit.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
When I have been, we didn't allow 'hanging back.' No one wants someone behind them with a shotgun.

Also, hanging back can get you snake bit. The first guy by wakes up the rattler and the second guy gets bit.

Well, I didn't mean hanging back as being behind everyone with a loaded gun ;) I meant it more as a reference to me probably not doing much more than walking and observing.

And as far as boots, Would you guys recommend actual 'snake boot's that are 18 inches or something more like a 'regular' 7 or 8 inch hiking boot?

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
...And as far as boots, Would you guys recommend actual 'snake boot's that are 18 inches or something more like a 'regular' 7 or 8 inch hiking boot?

;D

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »
Better: