Author Topic: Help with gear for quail hunting  (Read 14768 times)

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
Re: Help with gear for quail hunting
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
I would say get a normal, high quality set of boots (local Sportsmans Warehouse has GREAT clearance boots right now) and get a set of snake gaiters that you can add as needed.  That way you are not stuck with a tall, rigid, often too hot boot.  You can get a lot more use out of one set of boots, 2-3 different weight socks, and a set of gaiters.  My gaiters are a bit hot when the weather is, but the peace of mind is worth it.  And they protect your legs from spiny plants.

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 08:34:23 AM »
Now that quail season is in full swing, have you had a chance to go out and try it yet?  Give us a progress report.

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
Now that quail season is in full swing, have you had a chance to go out and try it yet?  Give us a progress report.

This is an important question!  I had good luck near Florence, AZ...sure wish I were a better shot :)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »
I ended up not going out when I had planned. I put a lot of work into getting someone to watch the kids, took an extra day off work, etc. When I stopped to think about it I was ashamed to realize I couldn't remember the last time I put that much effort into spending time with my wife. So instead of going out I spent the day with my wife, and a strong relationship with her is worth more than a few quail breasts. The season is long and I'm sure there will be other chances to go out.

Skas, are you up near Florence or is that just where you went to hunt? I grew up around Arizona City and that whole area (Coolidge, CG, Flo town) is where I used to run around growing up.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 12:15:26 PM »
Sweet thread!!!! I am in Mesa, Arizona and I will be trying my hand at small game hunting soon I hope. I have boots and all that other stuff but a lack of hunting experience. I have a ammo drop pouch that I might stuff game into so I am covered there. The other part of my gear that is an unknown is my Mother in laws 20G shotgun. Is that a decent choice? Its a over under brake action.

thank you

nkawtg

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 12:26:43 PM »
I ended up not going out when I had planned. I put a lot of work into getting someone to watch the kids, took an extra day off work, etc. When I stopped to think about it I was ashamed to realize I couldn't remember the last time I put that much effort into spending time with my wife. So instead of going out I spent the day with my wife, and a strong relationship with her is worth more than a few quail breasts. The season is long and I'm sure there will be other chances to go out.

Skas, are you up near Florence or is that just where you went to hunt? I grew up around Arizona City and that whole area (Coolidge, CG, Flo town) is where I used to run around growing up.

Just goes to show you that "You're happiest when she's happy and you're not, then when you're happy and she's not".