Author Topic: if you had to settle on one "General purpose" 12 gauge shot/round?  (Read 14019 times)

FarmerJim

As much as we would love to have a wide assortment of situationally dependent ammo for our 12g IF you HAD to choose what would you say is the best All around shot size? I feel like the standard is 00 buck (widely praised and easy to find) however I personally prefer #1 Buck. If you were able to stock prior but could only choose 1 size what would you go with? Buck? Bird? Slug?

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: if you had to settle on one "General purpose" 12 gauge shot/round?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:50 PM »
If you are talking for self defense then either #1 buck or 00 buck is good, but you will find volume boxes at better prices for mainly 00 with sometimes availability of #1 or #4 buckshot.  I have some each plus slugs and would be confident with any of them if the need arises.  My home shotgun is loaded with #1 buck but I have discount boxes of 00 for play/practice and "just in case."

For bird and small game hunting it is really tough to choose one, it depends on the size of game. #6 lead shot might be a good compromise for quail, pheasant, grouse, maybe squirrel, etc.  If you are planning to hunt during rule of law then you need high speed steel for duck and goose.  Whatever you get for goose could be used for turkey.  One shot size is really hard for such a wide spread of game.

If you are talking about hunting game animals then slugs will give you much more distance for something such as deer or moose.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 05:32:11 AM »
I'd say 6 or 5 shot (lead). You could always make cut shells for large game if needed. Steel shot is subpar compares to lead and if I was truly hungry I wouldn't think twice about taking a duck with it. With that said though, in today's current situation it is irrisponsible to use lead on waterfoul.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:36:28 AM »
I think one of the biggest advantages of a shotgun is the ability/versatility to shoot multiple loads with minimal hardware adjustments.  I'm not sure why you would take away that advantage by settling on only one kind of shot. 

I suppose that if we were talking about what to stock/store I would go with 00 Buck and #6 over other options.

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:42:30 AM »
I would go with a #6 shot.good for smallish game and if needed you can make a slug out of it by pouring wax on the bbs.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 07:00:25 AM »
00 Buck , because I also carry 357 mag sub caliber adapters on my cyl bore scoped mossy 500. Small game can be taken with my scoped Ruger single six in the shoulder holster.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 11:01:26 AM »
The advantage of the shotgun is in the versatility of its various loads.  If you are going to eliminate that versatility you might find yourself in a better situation with another firearm altogether.

If all you ever do is sit in front of the computer and rack the slide on your pump gun until you have something to complain about to a warranty department in Turkey you might be able to completely rationalize a single load as your standard stockpile.  Same goes if all of your shooting is at cardboard, or even clay birds.

If you are sitting here in August waiting for dove season to crank up in a couple of weeks, followed by squirrel season, followed by all the other small game and then deer season, restricting yourself to a single size shot in a single loading is not a thought you are going to entertain.

Not even a "what if".

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »
My single choice is #7 1/2 birdshot as it works for informal trap and upland and small game.  That is all I hunt with a shotgun any more. I prefer a carbine in pistol caliber for home defense.

endurance

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
I think one of the biggest advantages of a shotgun is the ability/versatility to shoot multiple loads with minimal hardware adjustments.  I'm not sure why you would take away that advantage by settling on only one kind of shot. 

I suppose that if we were talking about what to stock/store I would go with 00 Buck and #6 over other options.
Agreed.  The point of a shotgun is options.  With a slug I can be reasonably accurate out to 75-100 yards with plenty of energy to stop the fight.  With 00 buck I can bring a quick end to the fight in close quarters without excessive worry about over-penetration.  With #6 I can reliably take squirrels and rabbits, with #7.5 I'm not worried about ruining a quail or dove.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »
Yep, get the variety or get a different firearm. I really like shotguns because of the variety of purposes it can be used for.

Max

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 02:52:24 PM »
Good Question. I would go with 4 shot (lead) high brass. That round can take down a turkey, squirrels, large game birds, and good for home defense. That would be the best balanced shell IMO.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 06:11:11 PM »
Agreed.  If, in the no-chance-no-how-not-likely-never event that I was told I could only have one type of 12ga ammo, it would be #4 lead, for the reasons Max stated.  It's small enough to not completely destroy the grouse and turkey we have around here, but big enough that it breaks bones. 

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
depending on how well the shot dropper is working I run from #2 to #6
[don't bother sorting]and 7/8 oz. loads will cover anything up to turkey

bigger game the 525 gr Lyman gets the job done up to rogue bull dozers ;)

SnoHam13 

Offline sukivel

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
depending on how well the shot dropper is working I run from #2 to #6
[don't bother sorting]and 7/8 oz. loads will cover anything up to turkey

bigger game the 525 gr Lyman gets the job done up to rogue bull dozers ;)

SnoHam13

I like your thinking. +1

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »
We stock 2 3/4 #6 for upland birds, both 3 and 3 1/2 size 5 for turkey, 2 3/4 00 buck for self-defense, 1oz slugs for large game and oodles of 2 3/4 #9 for skeet.  Now multiply this x2 as we have it all for both 12 and 20 gauge shotguns.

These are not .22's or even 5.56.  You really don't need thousands of rounds of each except the skeet stuff - and we reload those.  In a season we use maybe 1/2 box of Turkey loads, 6 of the upland bird, none of the 00, and maybe 1 -2 slugs, if we aren't using the .308...

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 07:00:03 PM »
Good Question. I would go with 4 shot (lead) high brass. That round can take down a turkey, squirrels, large game birds, and good for home defense. That would be the best balanced shell IMO.
Agree

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
The Dragons breath 12 gauge will down and cook most small to medium game.  ::)

http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/12_Gauge.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnA9yyE2ma8

Not my choice,just for giggles.

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 06:48:15 AM »
ONE roumd for everything ?   Survival...defense..,..hunting   ?.....,...probably #6 shot

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 07:06:29 AM »
ONE round? A turkey or goose load.

nelson96

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 09:30:39 AM »
Good Question.

I must disagree. . .  Having a multipurpose shotgun with only one round choice is worse than having only one type of rifle, for the reason that ammo is far less expensive and easier to transport than a rifle.  To be clear, I also disagree with having one type of rifle.  That said, you've all recommended some good rounds, I just thought I would offer something a little different.

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 03:13:48 PM »
Why not stock up on birdshot,buckshot, and slugs now.  Everything is available and relatively cheap.  What if's that aren't applicable will drive you nuts.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »
I join the others with the lead #6 pheasant load.