Author Topic: Any suggestions for a heavy-duty leather outdoor parka?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Any suggestions for a heavy-duty leather outdoor parka?
« on: August 07, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »
I'm a bit tired of wearing camo for years, so I'm looking for a durable and simple leather outdoor jacket/parka. Not shiny biker's leather, rather matt split leather, preferably brown, not black. Warm lining is welcome. Affordable price as well. No need of plenty pockets, ammo loops and such. Just a simple plain parka. Think of something like "sheriff Longmire" wears (not the actual replica of his that's sold on ebay though, too expensive).
I was even thinking about getting a Black Stallion welder's leather jacket and customizing it a bit (adding flanel lining, sheepfur collar and such, I'm well used to sew my clothing for reenactment, so...). So think of a jacket like that (http://workingperson.com/black-stallion-jackets-side-split-cowhide-welding-jacket-30wc-72566.html) in sort of more "civil" style. If such thing is already produced, please let me know.

Offline moblet

• Prepper
  • Not dead yet
Re: Any suggestions for a heavy-duty leather outdoor parka?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
Oilskin jackets and coats have a tradition amongst Australian stockmen and women, and are still made. The most famous brand is Drizabone. Not sure if they're within your budget though.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:48:18 AM »
I have an oilskin "watchcoat", a simple, 1-layer coat that's made after 18th century military raingear. Use it for the same purpose.
What I wanted here was leather, not cloth though. I found and ordered something already, will see how I like the quality.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »
I was going to suggest the English Barbour until I saw you post you'd found something. Care to share what you bought and/or where? Love some pics too as it adds to the content of the site and you sound crafty...in a good way. Thanks so much.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
Look for a Leather M-65 jacket with a liner.

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:58:09 PM »

looked up "cowboy long coat"
found it to be called a duster. there are western and aussie styles (leather vs. kanga)

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
Go for a drizza bone, they're damn good in miserable  weather and good in hot weather for keeping the sun off you.