Author Topic: Pandemic supplies  (Read 15303 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Pandemic supplies
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »
Bumping due to new interest in preparing for Potential Pandemics.

And, Dallas should realy have those of us who dont presently homeschool think about, well what would we do with our kids if we wanted, or had to, stay home ? Good point Frugal Upstate

endurance

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 10:41:46 AM »
My flu preps:

1.  Cough drops-  4 bags, sugar free
2.  Gatoraid-  I keep at least two cases of the pre-made stuff and two large cans of the mix on hand.  Be aware that buying the cans get tougher during the winter since it's primarily a summer product, so buy it in quantity during the summer.
3.  Chicken bullion & chicken soup- No, it's not a cure, but it is salty food that goes down easy and maintains your electrolytes.
4.  Soda crackers-  This is the toughest item on the list since it has such a short shelf life and I don't eat them that much except when I'm sick, but to me, it's worth throwing out have the box every six months just to be sure I have it around when I need it.
5.  Earloop masks- Super cheap, readily available now, but impossible to find in 2009.  Far more comfortable and practical to wear than the N95 mask for long periods of time and they do what they need to do for the most part, which is keeping your fingers away from your mouth and nose throughout the day unless you're sitting down to eat (at which time you should be in a  clean environment with washed hands).
6.  N95 masks-  I keep a few on hand.  The ones with the one-way valve don't get soaked and soggy and therefore remain useful longer, but you can't put them on a sick patient and protect those around them, so I stock a few of the other kind, too.
7.  Hand sanitizer-  A bunch of the little bottles and a few quart-size pumps to refill them.
8.  Comfortable, clear safety glasses-  The difference between the cheapest safety glasses available and a decent $10 pair is night and day.  A good pair is optically clear and doesn't bother you to wear them at all.  Wearing them helps prevent you from touching your eyes.
9.  Nitryl gloves
10. Echinecea Supreme- Not necessarily a cure for the flu, but I've had good luck cutting the duration and severity of garden variety colds with it.  That said, if you don't take it early, like in the first day or two of the first symptoms, it doesn't tend to help nearly as much, so I keep it around all the time.
11. Oscillococcinum-  It's a homeopathic for the flu.  A doctor I respect tells me it's hocus-pocus hogwash, but I have the illusion it helps, again, if it's taken early.  YMMV, but I keep it in stock because delay reduces effectiveness.
12. Muscinex-  Breaks the crud up
13. A Tussin cough medicine-  Not brand loyal, just some suppressant to help at night.
14. Epi-pen- Just in case there's a sudden airway constriction needing immediate medical intervention.
15. Tamiflu- Talk to your doctor and see if he'll/she'll write you a 'script in advance so you can have it on hand with the promise you won't use it unless you consult with him/her first.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »
Slightly off topic, but as I will being CERT training this week, do you have any recommendations for eye protection?

I have a bunch of cheapo safety glasses that I keep around for kids to use with tools, BB guns, etc.  I grab those for one-off power tool use, or if I'm taking someone new to the gun range.
There's a decent pair I paid $12 that fit well, and are yellow tinted.  I most often wear those if I plan ahead.

I'm wondering if full on goggles might be useful?  I really don't want something that will fog up like a scuba mask, but want to be prepared for dusty/debris situations too.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 12:06:05 PM »
Some of the SAR dog handlers put aviator goggles on their dogs when we were doing helicopter stuff. My ex used his aviator goggles to cut onions (he kept them in the kitchen actually), as well as drive his convertible MG.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
Slightly off topic, but as I will being CERT training this week, do you have any recommendations for eye protection?

I have a bunch of cheapo safety glasses that I keep around for kids to use with tools, BB guns, etc.  I grab those for one-off power tool use, or if I'm taking someone new to the gun range.
There's a decent pair I paid $12 that fit well, and are yellow tinted.  I most often wear those if I plan ahead.

I'm wondering if full on goggles might be useful?  I really don't want something that will fog up like a scuba mask, but want to be prepared for dusty/debris situations too.
These are my current favorites.  I picked up a pair in the spring for my wildland pack and now I've bought two more pairs for my bunker gear and plan on getting a set for the wife, too.  Super clear & distortion-free, reasonably priced, somewhat scratch resistant (I keep mine in an old sock for protection), and having a set of good earplugs always available is awesome.  The earplugs are comfortable enough to wear for several hours, too.

Offline IndianaPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 07:41:24 PM »
Great ideas.  I have never really found a pair of goggles that I liked.  These have great reviews so I ordered  - will probably use it when I ride my quad in the woods. If I like them I will have a few on standby.  I purchased a box(20) of 3M N95 masks.  I thought it would be good to have a few in each car, sealed in a plastic bag.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RKQ1NI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
With regards to N95 masks.

Someone mentioned earlier that they get wet and become useless.

They make non-paper respirators for this type of work. They are fit to each individual person and the only thing that should be changed out would be the filters.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 03:29:20 PM »

I'll ask a potentially stupid question… How does the filtering capacity of an N-95 surgical style mask compare with say a half-face 2 canister dust/paint/organics mask from a tool / hardware type store?

endurance

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »
I'll ask a potentially stupid question… How does the filtering capacity of an N-95 surgical style mask compare with say a half-face 2 canister dust/paint/organics mask from a tool / hardware type store?
Canister masks are generally N100 or P100. That means they filter out 99.97% of particles of a predetermined size. N95s filter out 95%. Comfort-wise, canister respirators can be irritating and annoying for using for hours on end, but they do provide superior performance. That said, an N95 ear loop mask you can wear for 8 hours a day is a lot more valuable than something you chuck in a corner because it's driving you nuts after three or four hours. Both would be great to have around. Personally, I find ear loop masks the most realistic for anything but the mother of all pandemics that would keep me from going out in public anyway.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »

I believe the N95 filters smaller particles better than the canister type masks.