Author Topic: My new drop spindle  (Read 3100 times)

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
My new drop spindle
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »
I finally found a drop spindle and some fiber to start learning with.  I also got a book that was recommended by a lady in the spinning class.  I was not there for the class they just had one going on when I went into the store.  I am so excited.  They gave me a quick show of how it works.  She made it look real easy but I know it's not :).  So now I know where to go to get help and fiber.  I got a good beginner one so that if (when) I drop it the spindle won't break.  As I get better I will upgrade to a nicer one.  They were using spinning wheels in the class.  So cool.  Anyway here is my treasures from today's trip.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: My new drop spindle
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
Have fun with it!

Cedar

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
oh am I jealous.  I think I have to wait to start my spinning obsession until my children are older.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »
Looks like fun , where did you find it?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
That kind of spindle is pretty easy to make. Get a wooden car wheel from a craft store and a dowel. Put a small cup hook on the end. I don't tend to use the hook though, Just a half hitch over the end.

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 06:57:16 PM »
Mmm, nice looking fiber, what kind did you get?

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
We have a place in Waco called Homestead Heritage.  They are a community that lives off the land. Its much harder than the lady who gave a demo made it look :).  But I expected that.  I have a feeling nap time will be spent playing each day LOL.  Not sure what kind of fiber it is :(.  They picked something longer and good for a beginner.  The shop was super helpful and they have a large variety of fibers.  But being new I just went with what they suggested. 

Offline Elwyn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
I know this thread is about a year old, but.  ;D

Contact your local SCA group(Society For Creative Anachronism). You can find a local group or one close to you at SCA.org. They are a re-enactment group of 1600 and earlier. There are MANY people there that use drop spindles, weave, card looms, or silk braiding. There should be several people that can show you what you need to know about spinning and weaving. Check out your local Civil war group, buck skinners and Mountain man groups. Many of them will know about spinning and weaving also, as well as loads of other skills that are useful.

Elwyn