Author Topic: Ebola Awareness, NO panic needed  (Read 7946 times)

Offline Nurse Amy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Ebola Awareness, NO panic needed
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »
Hi All,

Here is a down to earth explanation of Ebola without all the fear-mongering.Up-to-date information from Dr. Bones.
http://www.doomandbloom.net/ebola-the-next-great-pandemic/  ???

"All this being said, our Modern Medical Systems are better stocked and have strict infectious controls in place. Most likely, the virus would be contained quicker and patients would receive higher levels of symptomatic treatment leading to much lower death rates than seen now in West Africa. Being prepared and aware will help all of us deal with this virus more effectively here in the United States."

Knowledge is power,
Nurse Amy

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Re: Ebola Awareness, NO panic needed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:32:19 PM »
     Unfortunately, a calm, informed, well reasoned approach to situations like this doesn't sell the news. The sensationalism junkies just keep looking for more fear and worry to up their market share. The news cycle has a very short turn around time, between disasters (real or invented). Remember that search for the airliner that disappeared? How about the airliner that was shot down over Ukraine? Now that things seem to be settling down between Israel and Hamas, the media will be looking for something else to hype. They're lucky they still have ISIS in Iraq to tide them over. Eventually the Ebola virus will burn itself out and the fearmongers will have to look elsewhere. The media's worst fear is that people will react with intelligence, become informed of the facts about any new situation and not panic. Bad news sells, fearful headlines sell alot.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »
Thank you Nurse Amy and Dr. Bones for this and, well, all the other stuff y'all do.  It's good to have two voices of informed sanity around in times like these.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:51:03 PM »
hey Nurse Amy, I had read this the other day, good article, we have a thread for pandemic preparation with a link to it http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=51093.msg583913#msg583913 Is there anything else you would recommend having around for preparation ?

Offline sams

• Prepper
  • Incompetent Prepper in Chief - Africa
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:18:57 AM »
Lucky you guys,

I live in Angola so I am only one corrupt Airport official away from being in an Ebola infected city  :-[

Africa is shit, you please read the story of the Liberian-American that took the virus to Nigeria, it was clear the asshat was sick, but someone let him board the plane because he had money and connections.

I was procrastinating on my preps, but this is a wakeup call, got most my gear and my BOV, just need to make my kits and stock on food for 3 months.

Thanks heaven I do have a at least 6 months of expense in my savings account, and some hard assets I can sell if things go crazy.

I am not panicking, but still the danger feels close and in our countries nobody tells the truth until there are bodies in the streets. Angola dealt with a Marburg epidemic in previous years, I hope we miss this joy train. I HOPE

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:39:43 AM »
Wow Sams, stay safe man!  Sounds like you've got things rolling with prepping now.  Also, this epidemic looks like one of those cases where even a little bit of preps can help immensely.  Again, stay safe, and keep us posted.

Offline Nurse Amy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »
Be safe Sams! We wish you all the best!

Offline ksuprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
With the passing of the Dallas Ebola patient I feel we are going to start seeing people flooding emergency rooms.  I feel that the news media is fear mongering at this point.  The media is going to start reporting on every person that has diarrhea and a fever.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 08:32:06 PM »
Thanks, Nurse Amy. 

You both are a real asset to the preparedness community, and I'm glad you're here on the TSP forum as well.

Having met you and Dr. Bones in person in North Carolina, I can say that you sure seem to be the same people in person as on the air.

Call  Dorothy and tell her to get Jack to have you back on!  We miss y'all!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »
With the passing of the Dallas Ebola patient I feel we are going to start seeing people flooding emergency rooms.  I feel that the news media is fear mongering at this point.  The media is going to start reporting on every person that has diarrhea and a fever.

this

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 12:46:35 PM »
     Unfortunately, a calm, informed, well reasoned approach to situations like this doesn't sell the news. The sensationalism junkies just keep looking for more fear and worry to up their market share. The news cycle has a very short turn around time, between disasters (real or invented). Remember that search for the airliner that disappeared? How about the airliner that was shot down over Ukraine? Now that things seem to be settling down between Israel and Hamas, the media will be looking for something else to hype. They're lucky they still have ISIS in Iraq to tide them over. Eventually the Ebola virus will burn itself out and the fearmongers will have to look elsewhere. The media's worst fear is that people will react with intelligence, become informed of the facts about any new situation and not panic. Bad news sells, fearful headlines sell alot.

If only there were a news anchor alive with the kahones to say this on air.
I'm getting really sick of all this Ebola fear mongering.
Yes, it's real. Yes, it's deadly. But is it at my back door waiting to come in the moment I forget to wash my hands? Nope.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
If only there were a news anchor alive with the kahones to say this on air.
I'm getting really sick of all this Ebola fear mongering.
Yes, it's real. Yes, it's deadly. But is it at my back door waiting to come in the moment I forget to wash my hands? Nope.

I'm right there with ya.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 05:31:20 PM »
It's one thing to die. It's another thing entirely to die in a particularly horrible way.

Ebola is one of those particularly horrible ways to die. The very primal psychological undercurrent swirling madly around this avenue of death is the sort of subject matter that PhD's are made from.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 07:40:29 PM »
     I think that part of the problem is that (as I remember), Ebola was the disease in the movie "Hot Zone". I think in that script, the strain of Ebola was similar to Ebola Reston and was presented as an airborne virus. That movie did present a very nightmare situation and it all happened on American soil. I think that in the minds of many, Ebola strains, lethality and modes of transmission are all the same. This is a serious situation, but I think we have seen about the last of this particular outbreak. Awareness will mean that the chances of another carrier bringing in the infection are reduced and even if another case pops up, this experience will make dealing with it much more successful.
     I agree that now the biggest danger is uncalled for panic. There are plenty of people (ala Chicken Little) running around spreading rumors, hunches, misinformation and basically looking for anyone who will listen to their fearmongering. They can't wait to point fingers and find blame for real or imagined mistakes made in dealing with this. Is it serious? Yes. Were mistakes made? Yes. Will it mean the deaths of millions and the end of civilization? Only if we let it.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 06:19:49 AM »
If you say "flu" people think of runny noses and boxes of kleenex.

But if you say "flesh-eating virus" people think of their arms and legs dissolving away into puddles of blood during the night.

THIS is the difference in the level of terror that ebola is plaguing people with.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 06:03:01 AM »
     There is really no need to panic. As of last night we passed the incubation period for anyone potentially exposed in the U.S. The U.S. is now Ebola free. Doesn't mean there couldn't be new imported cases, But hey, you could get hit by a bus, while crossing the street today. No need to blame the government for not having a plan to ban killer buses. Some people seem to just "get off" by stirring the pot with outrageous conspiracies and the satisfaction that they have riled up lots of people and gotten attention.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 06:07:47 AM »
     I do have to make a correction. There are still two nurses recovering from Ebola, so technically I was mistaken. However they seem to be doing well and I haven't heard of any worries about health worker's contact with them.

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
Yep  another Health Care worker Died this Morning. from Ebola
yep----NOT TO WORRY FOLKS

endurance

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
Yep  another Health Care worker Died this Morning. from Ebola
yep----NOT TO WORRY FOLKS
Of course he arrived on Saturday, already too sick to survive.  So you are correct, unless you work in one of the four designated hospitals to deal with Ebola patients and are assigned to one of those patients, there really is no need to worry.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
Just remember to keep up on the news, no Ebola here, yet, hopefully never.  But here is a reminder on how serious it still is

to keep in perspective, not anywhere near time to panic, just kep it on your radar

AesopDecember 11, 2018 at 8:18 AM

For me personally, when the odds get to the point that Ebola is likelier than not going to come through the ER door on this side of the pond, it's time to take a leave of absence.

FWIW, the outbreak in W. Africa in 2014 was 14X as big as this one before anyone came here. But from now to that point only took about 4 months in 2014.

It isn't time to panic, by any stretch of imagination.
But this is officially an item of interest at this point:
It's spreading essentially unchecked, despite some earlier slowing down, and they'll likely lose control completely and scream "Rape!" there shortly. A month, maybe two, and perhaps sooner.

It's apparently now about halfway between the point where there's one case, and the point where it starts showing up on other continents.
With four international airports and four major theme park destinations hereabouts, it won't stay far away for long at present trajectory and speed.

In the link he gives his answers to people questions about the vaccine, how efective our previous measure against infection (2014) were, etc....
https://raconteurreport.blogspot.com/2018/12/questions-i-get-questions.html?m=1

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 12:41:12 PM »
A little more information on the current state of Ebola in the Congo and surrounding areas.
Sounds like it is serious over there.

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2018/12/in-the-congo-ebola-is-spreading-to-urban-areas/?fbclid=IwAR3n3TNUTVUMDg2tcg-jliWfhUVNO3KQVPwrPvynWpti014S-0G6kqMcQro

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 02:56:19 PM »
Associated Press (via Courthouse News), 3/28/19: Study: Many in Ebola Outbreak Don’t Believe Virus Is Real

...The new study highlights just how pervasive misinformation has been in places in eastern Congo like Beni and Butembo, where in-person interviews were conducted with 961 people.

Some 25.5 percent of those interviewed did not believe Ebola was real. In addition, nearly 45.9 percent of people thought the Ebola outbreak was being fabricated to destabilize the region or for financial gain. Additionally 18.2 percent believed all three of those statements, the study found.

Those who didn’t believe Ebola was real were far less likely to agree to the Ebola vaccine or to go to a treatment center. ...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
Associated Press (via Courthouse News), 3/28/19: Study: Many in Ebola Outbreak Don’t Believe Virus Is Real

More on this, and the related attacks on health workers:

NPR, 6/4/19: An Urgent Mystery: Who's Attacking Ebola Responders In Congo — And Why?

...On May 23 the United Nation's Secretary General named [David] Gressly to a newly created position overseeing the organization's effort to stop the ten-month long Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of the Congo. (His official title is UN Emergency Ebola Coordinator.)...

Since late February there's been a dramatic surge in violent – and sometimes deadly — attacks against Ebola response teams.

The violence keeps forcing Ebola responders to pause key activities such as identifying and treating people infected with the virus, vaccinating their contacts and safely burying those who die of the disease. The result has been a spike in infections. Since mid-March the new case count has jumped from about 25 per week to more than 120 in some weeks. And the total number of cases over the ten months of the outbreak has just topped 2,000. ...

Many analysts hold that it was actually the national government that set the stage for the use of the Ebola crisis as a political tool, and Gressly largely echoed that account. Last December, he noted, just days before presidential elections, national electoral officials announced that voting would be suspended in the two largest cities in the outbreak zone, Beni and Butembo.

The stated justification was to prevent Ebola from being spread at the polls. But a candidate opposed to the then-ruling party's choice was projected to win in Beni and Butembo. So the decision "created a perception that the Ebola outbreak was manufactured," said Gressly. ...

But starting in late December and on through local parliamentary elections in March, the conspiracy theorizing went into high gear, said Rachel Sweet, a Harvard-based researcher.

Sweet has been monitoring WhatsApp texts, radio broadcasts and leaflets about Ebola, working with colleagues based in the outbreak zone. She's found that for months mostly anonymous authors have been claiming that Ebola is a hoax, perpetrated by the government to drum up foreign aid dollars and corral residents of communities that are hostile to the government into treatment centers.

In recent weeks, she said, another rumor has been gaining ground: that Ebola is a real disease, but the government and international health workers are infecting local people with it on purpose. ...

...both Sweet and Gressly maintain that [anti-Ebola rumors] didn't simply spring up or spread spontaneously. Various people appear to have actively promoted the conspiracy theories for their own gain – including as part of campaigning for parliamentary elections last March.

"There are those who want to make use of the distrust that's already there to advance a political agenda," said Gressly. "Some people actively pushed that narrative. Politicians really played it up."...

The wave of rumors coincided with a steady increase in the violence against Ebola responders.

At least one type of attack appears very much linked: Many of the incidents seem to be outbursts by members of the community who have heard the rumors and believe them. ...

But there has also been an increase in seemingly well-coordinated assaults by well-armed assailants. More than half-a-dozen times, gunmen have shot up Ebola treatment centers and health facilities where Ebola teams are based...

And here the chain of responsibility becomes murkier. The nature of these attacks, said Gressly, suggests they are part of a deliberate strategy: "It seems to be motivated by those who are trying to specifically disrupt the response."...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 10:07:31 PM »
BuzzFeed News, 6/11/19: Far-Right Figures Are Claiming Immigrants Are Bringing Ebola To The US. Officials Say That's "Patently False."

..."This is a little bit much ado about nothing," said Colleen Bridger, interim assistant city manager and director of the San Antonio Metropolitan Health District. "Any rumors that they are bringing Ebola or are at risk of Ebola are patently false."

About 250 family units seeking asylum from Central Africa have crossed the southern US border near San Antonio since June 4, Bridger said, including immigrants from the Congo and Angola. None of them have exhibited any signs of the virus or been flagged for the virus during their health screenings, she said. ...

The incubation period for the virus is 21 days, Bridger said, and most of the people traveling from Central Africa have been traveling for months through South America after leaving Africa.

"Someone with the virus would develop symptoms of that disease within 21 days of that exposure," she said in the press conference. "So if you do the math and think of the fact that they left their country many, many months ago, there's no possibility that these individuals are bringing Ebola into our country."...

...US Customs and Border Protection said the claim was false.

"There have been no encounters of Ebola along the southwest border," an agency spokesperson told BuzzFeed News. ...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
AP, 7/17/19: Ebola outbreak in Congo declared a global health emergency

The deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo is now an international health emergency, the World Health Organization announced Wednesday after the virus spread this week to a city of 2 million people. ...

The declaration comes days after the virus was confirmed in Goma, a major regional crossroads in northeastern Congo on the Rwandan border, with an international airport. Worries about the spread of the disease were also heighted after a sick Congolese fish trader traveled to Uganda and back while symptomatic — and later died of Ebola.

While the risk of regional spread remains high, the risk outside the region remains low, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said after the announcement in Geneva. ...

This is the fifth such declaration in history. Previous emergencies were declared for the devastating 2014-16 Ebola outbreak in West Africa that killed more than 11,000 people, the emergence of Zika in the Americas, the swine flu pandemic and polio.

WHO defines a global emergency as an "extraordinary event" that constitutes a risk to other countries and requires a coordinated international response. ...

WHO had been heavily criticized for its sluggish response to the West Africa outbreak, which it repeatedly declined to declare a global emergency until the virus was spreading explosively in three countries and nearly 1,000 people were dead. Internal documents later showed WHO held off partly out of fear a declaration would anger the countries involved and hurt their economies. ...

The pastor who brought Ebola to Goma used several fake names to conceal his identity on his way to the city, Congolese officials said. WHO on Tuesday said the man had died and health workers were scrambling to trace dozens of his contacts, including those who had traveled on the same bus. ...