Author Topic: What are you working on  (Read 15601 times)

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
What are you working on
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:10:17 AM »
What are you currently working on?  Post pictures if you can or want to.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: What are you working on
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:59:37 AM »
Technically not "working on" since I just finished it about an hour ago ... but my latest is for a raffle to benefit one of our sheriff's deputies who was stricken with Gillian-Barre Syndrome and will need extensive rehab & recovery.

Several people made & donated blocks and I did the setting, built the top, added the borders, quilted & bound it. It was a SOB to put together due to the range of skill levels involved (expert to no flippin' clue) but I think it came out looking pretty. Wish us luck with the fundraising!

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:21:48 AM »
That quilt looks beautiful. Someday I'll get better at sewing ::)

Also I made this thread a while back: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=46033.0. Mods, perhaps they could be merged?

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »
The raffle was a huge success! No one kept track of the dollar amount per item, and there were many very cool items donated (concealed carry purse, a Henry lever-action .22, ammo, framed art photography to name just a few), but all the jars had lots of tickets in them. This was posted on his FB page this morning:

"I would like to thank everyone that has helped with the booth for Brian at Western Legends!! So many people did so much and have made a huge difference in the life of the Bettridge family. The Raffle Booth raised enough money to pay the amount needed to pay the hospital bill deductibles for this year! What an amazing community we all live in!! I know there will be more needed later...but my heart is so full of gratitude and appreciation for all of your support!!! Thank you everyone!!!! ~Lorie"

Yay us.  :)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 12:40:52 AM »
I've been asking my daughter to take pictures all month, and we finally did, but right before bed in the house, so maybe not the best, but you'll get the idea. Im not that into op'sec, realy, just had been out working on the pop-up and not combed my hair or cleaned up....

This dress is the one I made and wore to my eldest daughters wedding, the flash makes it look shinier than it is in real life. It was actaully the easier of the 2 and the quicker. It is a pattern from an indie company, By Hand London and is the Elisalex, done in a silk taffetta.

This one seemed to take forever, it is a vogue pattern, fully lined, silk dupioni, made and worn for the rehearsal dinner

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:30:22 AM »
Very cool projects.  Both are pretty.  Glad the quilt did so well.
I'm making afghans for Christmas presents for my nieces and nephew.  I will try to take some pictures today.

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »
The dresses are beautiful! Those patterns are timeless.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
Nice work gals.. I am not that talented.

Cedar

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »
Nice work gals.. I am not that talented.

Cedar

I don't believe that for a minute!

So, a few of the blue blocks came in too late to make it into the raffle quilt (thread above) so I made a bunch more with different colors, enough for a second quilt. This one is a generous-sized throw for Brian to have at the rehab center and for home in front of the tube as he recovers. Just finished it yesterday and now I seriously need to get back to some paying jobs! (After I swamp out my studio & service my longarm.)

With borders it came out to around 70" x 70":

This one shows the pattern I used (on the machine table).

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »
beautiful ! I have always wanted a homemade quilt, my yougest made one for my oldest for college graduation, double irish chain I think. The next year, she got fabric for a shadow box one for me, cut it out, got stuck, and has been busy ever since !

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
Love the projects... I haven't been doing any handwork projects this summer... but as the weather cools down, I'll get going again. LJH... I just love your quilting projects.

And Mountain Moma... your dresses look great.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
    • B4Gear.net
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »
You guys are way more talented than I ever imagine being.... I wanted to make curtains. We only have blinds up in our entire house. I made one panel, I hung it up, it was lumpy and my stitches started to pull lose... The other material for the second panel is still laying on my ironing board in front of the 1/2 naked window. I am so ashamed.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 11:53:30 PM »
You guys are way more talented than I ever imagine being.... I wanted to make curtains. We only have blinds up in our entire house. I made one panel, I hung it up, it was lumpy and my stitches started to pull lose... The other material for the second panel is still laying on my ironing board in front of the 1/2 naked window. I am so ashamed.

Maybe we can do a virtual project and support getting it done. I dont have any curtains either ! I bought the insulation (warm windows) part, but have not got the decorative fabric and made any. I literally have no curtains in the house, we are just careful where we stand when we change....How about October for the curtain support group thread....maybe something will pressure me into it before all the kids are grown....Although, we will also need the christmas gifts going too, that's what I like to work on

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:00:50 AM »
I've finished crocheting 5 afghans, 4 hats and 2 headband/earwarmers for Christmas presents. Will be making more hats, earwarmers, mittens, scarves, fingerless gloves, etc.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:08:49 AM by soccer grannie »

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 09:08:22 AM »
I've finished crocheting 5 afghans, 4 hats and 2 headband/earwarmers for Christmas presents. Will be making more hats, earwarmers, mittens, scarves, fingerless gloves, etc.

Pictures! We demand pictures!  :)

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
Maybe we can do a virtual project and support getting it done. I dont have any curtains either ! I bought the insulation (warm windows) part, but have not got the decorative fabric and made any. I literally have no curtains in the house, we are just careful where we stand when we change....How about October for the curtain support group thread....maybe something will pressure me into it before all the kids are grown....Although, we will also need the christmas gifts going too, that's what I like to work on

Fabulous idea! Sewing is a learned skill, you don't need any special gifts, just a decent sewing machine, quality tools and a little patience. I'd be more than happy to help out with a virtual project and I'm sure our other sewers & crafters would too. Let's do it!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
I don't believe that for a minute!

No really. I cannot use a sewing machine. I have too much static electricity in my body (I cannot wear watches either) and as soon as I walk into a room, I kill sewing machines. No one believed me until I killed 2 in 5 minutes once. I have to hand sew everything and it does not look pretty.

Cedar

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »
Pictures! We demand pictures!  :)
You want pictures, you get pictures!  :excited:

Some of these are for this Christmas, some are from last Christmas, and some of the hats went to the children's hospital for kids going thru chemo.

The camo fingerless gloves are great for shooting.

http://s632.photobucket.com/user/sandra29803/slideshow/HATS?sort=3
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:15:03 AM by soccer grannie »

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
No really. I cannot use a sewing machine. I have too much static electricity in my body (I cannot wear watches either) and as soon as I walk into a room, I kill sewing machines. No one believed me until I killed 2 in 5 minutes once. I have to hand sew everything and it does not look pretty.

Cedar

I can see killing an electronic machine but what about the old, trusty mechanical ones where the only electricity is the motor? Or an even older treadle machine?

Too bad we don't live closer together, I could do all your sewing in trade for stuff. It would be perfect.  :D

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »
You want pictures, you get pictures!  :excited:

Some of these are for this Christmas, some are from last Christmas, and some of the hats went to the children's hospital for kids going thru chemo.

The camo fingerless gloves are great for shooting.

http://s632.photobucket.com/user/sandra29803/slideshow/HATS?sort=3

Wow, GOOD stuff! Thanks for the slideshow.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 10:33:39 AM »

I also have no curtains or valances... I put up the insulating shades (inexpensive pull shades) throughout the house when we moved in and inertia has kept me from doing anything decorative since we do have privacy and energy efficiency working with the shades... Great idea to encourage each other on the October curtain project.

Offline tareesa

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »
Wow!  all great stuff! 

I have been crocheting for several years, and have recently re-tried knitting.  Didn't care for it a couple of years ago when I first tried.  But I am currently working on a Jayne Cobb hat for my son for Christmas.  I've discovered I really like circular knitting, so much easier than circular crochet, and looks nicer.  I'll try to remember to post a picture.

Offline tareesa

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 11:03:22 PM »
I should say, looks nicer than what *I* can produce with circular crochet.  I'd consider myself still a beginner.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 09:25:04 PM »
Waiting for the Jayne Cobb hat photo... will he model it?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2014, 04:46:57 AM »
I plan to hem some curtains this weekend. Not quite the same as making them from scratch, but I could post some pics.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2014, 11:45:38 AM »
I plan to hem some curtains this weekend. Not quite the same as making them from scratch, but I could post some pics.

Curtains are great!  :clap:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »
I am gearing up to finally make the mate to this sock.. It will be probably all winter, but I would like to get it done. (This is not blocked)

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 12:30:10 AM »
Curtains are great!  :clap:

Are we startign the curtain support group already ? I cant start mine until the apples are done -- which will be soon !

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 12:56:50 AM »
I have not had curtains since 1985.. and I got Z talked into no curtains too. I like working with the seasons.

Cedar