Author Topic: What are you working on  (Read 15500 times)

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: What are you working on
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2014, 07:01:01 AM »
I made a bowman's tunic-ish-thingy for my son.  He's going to the renaissance fair this weekend and was foolish enough to ask me to make one several months ago.  Which means I procrastinated until this week and finished it the night before he needed it.

The workmanship is not what I would hope, but he's wearing it for a weekend and then probably never again unless he gets into LARPing or something.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
It looks more than passable. Good job.

Cedar

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »
It looks more than passable. Good job.

Cedar

Thanks!

I was working off of Simplicity 5840, which is really more of a long hooded cape pattern.

I think the next projects are going to be some blouses to wear to work.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »
I have not had curtains since 1985.. and I got Z talked into no curtains too. I like working with the seasons.

Cedar

Oh, Im not going to go overboard, I just want to keep heat in on winter nights  -- also, a couple of the upstairs bedroom windows do face the streetish, we generally find strategic areas to stand in to change  --  used to have cheap bamboo shades on those, but they fell off the wall again.....not a priority yet I guess ( we arent very close to the road)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2014, 10:56:06 AM »
I made a bowman's tunic-ish-thingy for my son.  He's going to the renaissance fair this weekend and was foolish enough to ask me to make one several months ago.  Which means I procrastinated until this week and finished it the night before he needed it.

The workmanship is not what I would hope, but he's wearing it for a weekend and then probably never again unless he gets into LARPing or something.

looks great !

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 02:29:51 PM »

I'll bet the workmanship of those hand-stitched bowman's tunic-ish-thingies back in the Renaissance times was flawless, right? NOT! Looks like a great job to me! What's the fabric you used? The color is perfect too.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »
I'll bet the workmanship of those hand-stitched bowman's tunic-ish-thingies back in the Renaissance times was flawless, right? NOT! Looks like a great job to me! What's the fabric you used? The color is perfect too.

True!

It was something I got from JoAnn's several months ago.  The store receipt says Wrinklease.  But it wasn't.  I absolutely had to iron every inch after I washed it.

I wasn't too concerned about fabric care since it was a one time costume, but man that a pain to iron.

http://www.joann.com/sew-classics-bottomweight-wrinklease/xprd757812.html#q=wrinklease&start=1

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
Oh, and the pattern was a modified Simplicity 5840, which is more of a hooded cape with a capelet.  I just seamed up the front, then shortened the sleeves and hem.  I added a toggle closure just because I saw it and thought it looked cool.  Really easy pattern, given that there were 11 different pieces.

Offline tareesa

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2014, 10:34:51 PM »
Here's the Jayne Cobb hat.  Rather cunning I think... ;D

Cobbhat

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »
Here's the Jayne Cobb hat.  Rather cunning I think... ;D