Author Topic: 6.1-magnitude quake shakes Northern California  (Read 15321 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
6.1-magnitude quake shakes Northern California
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:12 AM »
1 hour ago:
QUAKE ROCKS CALIFORNIA
- 6.0 near Napa
- Region's largest since 1989
- Serious damage, fires
- Thousands without power
- "Numerous" injured. Queen of the Valley Medical Center in Napa says they are treating 70 patients for minor injuries suffered in the South Napa Quake.
-  The quake was felt as a long, rolling, shaking motion with several peaks of movement lasting for an extended time.

LIVE FEEDS:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/60-Preliminary-Magnitude-Earthquake-Strikes-Near-Napa-272467621.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_BAYBrand

http://feed.matthewkeys.net/kron/

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/live-video/

http://www.kcra.com/news/kcra-live-video/21007226#!bJhW2F

*** We can see the smoke from the fire At Alco Metal and Iron Company on Mare island from as far away as El Cerrito. Blowing east. (Chemicals guys!)

*** Highway 37 Ramp Damaged, Shut Down

*** CHP closed State Road 37 from Sonoma Blvd to Fairgrounds because of possible roadway damage. SR-37 Closures: WB off-ramp to Sonoma Blvd Closed, WB I-80 to SR-37 closed at this time. Other SR-37 roads open.

*** SR-12/121 at Cuttings Wharf - Damage reported to roadway, affected sections coned off.

54% chance of a 5.O or greater in the next few days. Probability of 30-70 small aftershocks (M3.0 - 5) are expected over the next 7 days for the South Napa quake

A 6.0-magnitude quake jolted the Bay area early Sunday morning, injuring at least 70 people and causing some road closures, watermain breaks and fires and damaging at least one building in the Napa Valley.  The quake struck near southwest of Napa at 3:20 a.m. causing houses to shake in the center of San Francisco and knocking out power to more than 50,000 houses.USGS said the quake struck about 10 miles northwest of American Canyon, which is located about 6 miles southwest of Napa. Most reported damage has been confined to Napa and Sonoma areas. At least 20 aftershocks were felt, including a magnitude 3.6 aftershock four miles southwest of Napa.

Multiple mobile homes in Napa Valley on fire after region's largest quake in 25 yea

UPDATE: At least 70 people were injured by this morning's earthquake in California. Damage reports are coming in.

This crack in a Napa vineyard is at least 10 feet deep

That's an 18 inch bump. CalTrans discussing what to do on hwy 121. Possibly closing.

Four homes were destroyed and several others damaged when a fire, possibly fueled by natural gas, broke out at a mobile home park in the city of Napa early Sunday shortly after a 6.0 magnitude earthquake struck just northwest of American Canyon. Firefighters were initially unable to battle the blaze due to a nearby broken water main after the earthquake hit at 3:20 a.m, said city fire Capt. Steve Becker. Two blocks were evacuated near the fire at the Napa Valley Mobile Home Park at 1040 Orchard Ave. near Mark Way, just off Highway 29. Ray Kauffman, 68, said as soon as he saw the smoke at one of the Napa mobile homes, he ran home to get his crescent wrench and turn off the gas.

Cedar

TSP members down there.. Check in! Idel? Does anyone need help?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:23:36 AM by Cedar »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Re: 6.1-magnitude quake shakes Northern California
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:28:01 AM »
*** Napa High School and Grace Church on Solano are established evacuation centers.

Earthquake aftershocks still a risk. Make sure you take precautions if you must drive today, especially in the North Bay region

Quake feed. http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/123-38.html
As i posted it.. there has been 60+ aftershocks

Please remember! Use 9-1-1 ONLY if an emergency! Report all non-emergency issues to CHP by calling 1-800-TELL-CHP. "Our Golden Gate Communications Center shook pretty good but everybody OK. Our 911 Dispatchers (aka lifeline) are sooooooo awesome!"

*** SR-121 at SR-29, roadway damage reported. Cracks in road may cause flat tires.

*** CHP Officers report no roadway damage in Marin & Santa Rosa areas so far. Most reported damage confined to Napa & Sonoma areas

This particular vintage might have gotten more expensive

Cedar
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:54:16 AM by Cedar »

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
With an earthquake like that, it's almost a sure thing that you'll have aftershocks big enough to feel.  The aftershocks from the Northridge quake were noticeable for weeks.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 08:42:28 AM »

Cedar

“There’s fires, debris all over the streets, everywhere,” Napa resident Karen Hunt told “Fox & Friends.”  Hunt has said she has felt other earthquakes, but “this is way on top of anything I’ve ever felt.”

Hunt, who has lived in Napa since 1996, owns a winery.  She said she heard from her partner that her 2011 and 2012 vintages had been destroyed.

“That’s pretty devastating if that’s the case,” she said.

When I read this on FoxNews and saw Cedar's photo, I thought - There goes the price of wine!  (There's a reason to learn to make your own)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »

Cedar

I'm being dense.  I don't quite get this chart - specifically the "Occurance" and "In Population" columns.  If a level 6 earthquake happens Monthly (Occurance) , how does it only occur every 30 years (In Population)?  Is it because we have a level 6 earthquake (on average) once a month somewhere in the world but we only have a level 6 earthquake in a specific location every 30 years?  (if that makes sense)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:05:45 AM »
I'm being dense.  I don't quite get this chart - specifically the "Occurance" and "In Population" columns.  If a level 6 earthquake happens Monthly (Occurance) , how does it only occur every 30 years (In Population)?  Is it because we have a level 6 earthquake (on average) once a month somewhere in the world but we only have a level 6 earthquake in a specific location every 30 years?  (if that makes sense)

I mostly put it on there as most people do not know that a 2.0 is 10 times more than a 1.0. A 3.0 is 10 times worse than a 2.0, ect.

But my interpretation is: MONTHLY means that is happens on Earth somewhere; Population means that it hits a town or city and effects humans. Like alot of earthquakes happen in the ocean. In a way, it is like the wildfires in BC, most of them were not interface fires, which means they were out in the middle of nowhere and did not effect humans (theoretically). Any resident geologists here in TSP?

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »
This is actually kind of good since it has released pressure so wont build up to something even worse. Always glad when we have a big shake and we dont have buildings and bridges totally collapsing on people !

Hopefully we will get word in a few days of where/how to do donations for the burned homes. These people will need help, there is not national insurance or program or such for this, there will be no insurance help. (For the businesses they likely will, but private homes almost never have coverage and mobile homes highly unlikely). Even tho they burned, it is considered a side affect of the earthquake and they will not pay for them burning down

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 09:21:45 AM »
This is actually kind of good since it has released pressure so wont build up to something even worse.

Maybe. They are calling for a 54% chance of a 5.O or greater in the next few days. There is only a 5 percent chance of a stronger quake during the next week. But... the weakened infrastructure like gas and water lines could have an issue with even mere aftershocks.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 09:24:02 AM »
IT WORKED: There was 10-second warning before Napa earthquake by Berkeley scientists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwdCJ31LFGI&feature=youtu.be

News upate 8:15am http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/08/24/46226/6-0-earthquake-strikes-napa/#816

Cedar
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:51:02 AM by Cedar »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
Maybe. They are calling for a 54% chance of a 5.O or greater in the next few days. There is only a 5 percent chance of a stronger quake during the next week. But... the weakened infrastructure like gas and water lines could have an issue with even mere aftershocks.

Cedar

a 5.0 aftershock is ok.  It is releiving pressure to be less likely to have a 7.0 or more. I know that is always possible, but it will now be less likely -- on that particular fault line -- due to this 6.

Of course a 6 is scary, but remember the Loma Prieta was a 7 which is 10 TIMES as strong. I am thankful that Napa only got a 6 and I am sure that everyone down here i Loma Prieta territory are just looking for the proper donation chanels to set up  to get those people back into homes and replace their stuff

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 10:47:42 AM »
I talked to my mom near San Jose, and they slept through it.  So we're not looking at widespread devastation throughout the Bay Area.  (Not meaning to minimize the local damage, but if you have friends outside the immediate area of the quake, you probably don't need to worry about them.)

Here's the USGS event page: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72282711#summary

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 10:52:47 AM »
I talked to my mom near San Jose, and they slept through it.  So we're not looking at widespread devastation throughout the Bay Area.  (Not meaning to minimize the local damage, but if you have friends outside the immediate area of the quake, you probably don't need to worry about them.)

Here's the USGS event page: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/nc72282711#summary

this is exactly right. I am here in Santa Cruz mountains. This is localized event up there in Napa and not that populated or built up an area. But, as I mentioned, the people burned out will need help to get on their feet, so do look out later in the week for a place to get help straight to them for stuff and to buy a new home. Other than some particular Napa wines lost, all major transport routes etc.... are fine. Kind of like storm damage in other parts of the country. We are lucky on this one.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
After going back and forth a few times, they have determined it was a 6.1

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 11:00:26 AM »

Cedar

This scenario is one I am not prepped for !! My worst nightmare for the pantry and all the home canned goods ! I have thought about it, but not implemented any sufficient strategies against a 6 and above

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
My worst nightmare for the pantry and all the home canned goods ! I have thought about it, but not implemented any sufficient strategies against a 6 and above

You could probably use something similar to a water heater strap.  Or maybe even a strap between two eye hooks screwed into the side walls.  Jut make sure the strap is high enough.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 11:56:48 AM »
for the back wall shelf, that is the idea, but they are usually stacked 2 jars high and I get into them frequently. I have thought of maybe dowels in those round eyes so I can slide the dowels out and back easily. For the new free standing metal shelves,  maybe netting that unhooks ... for now, I keep alot of the jars there in the boxes so less likely to bang.

but, you see, even if they are kept from falling off, they will bang into each other as there is movement in more than one direction, in quick succession in a quake. so, to not break, they would need cardboard in between the jars too, and not be stacked. I love looking at them exposed, but not the best for earthquake safety.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
to not break, they would need cardboard in between the jars too

That's a really great idea.

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »
This is actually kind of good since it has released pressure so wont build up to something even worse.

Except it may have actually transferred stress onto the Rogers Creek Fault and extensions of the Hayward Fault.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 01:59:25 PM »
This scenario is one I am not prepped for !! My worst nightmare for the pantry and all the home canned goods ! I have thought about it, but not implemented any sufficient strategies against a 6 and above

In a 5.7, none of my jars fell off a shelf and none of my dad's bottles in the winery fell. I have in the past, put 1"x1" screwed into the front part of the shelf. If I lived in "traditional quake" areas, like California or Alaska, I would make like a traditional pie shelf door, and you can basically make them for very little money if even. I would have eyehooks, instead of pull latches. I might do that here when I get my final shelving up. Look at salvage yards for wire. Even chicken wire.

Cedar

nkawtg

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »
 http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-lanow-ln-earthquake-earlywarning-system-gave-10second-alert-before-napa-quake-felt-20140824-story.html

Earthquake warning system gave 10 second warning before earthquake felt.  If so, that is better than nothing.  The article says a mature system could give 40 or 50 seconds warning, which strikes me as nothing to sneeze at.

endurance

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-lanow-ln-earthquake-earlywarning-system-gave-10second-alert-before-napa-quake-felt-20140824-story.html

Earthquake warning system gave 10 second warning before earthquake felt.  If so, that is better than nothing.  The article says a mature system could give 40 or 50 seconds warning, which strikes me as nothing to sneeze at.
I'd sure want my surgeon to know what's coming. :o

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »
Actually, one of my favorite things about earthquakes is that you don't have any advanced warning or time to stress.  They just happen and then they're done before you know it.

But I'm also not a neurosurgeon or in charge of a nuclear reactor, so...

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
The large two I have been in and felt (the third is a long story involving a car coming through the building at the same time), were actually fun after the fact. I also know I can feel them down to 1.9, but I just thought I was woozy from not eating anything that day while in surgery.

Cedar

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
Actually, one of my favorite things about earthquakes is that you don't have any advanced warning or time to stress.  They just happen and then they're done before you know it.

But I'm also not a neurosurgeon or in charge of a nuclear reactor, so...
Oh, I imagine this wouldnt be so bad Rita.  5 minutes warning...yeah that would suck.  But 10-40 seconds isnt so bad. Just enough time for me to make sure the oven is off and toss the kids under the table.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »
Oh, I imagine this wouldnt be so bad Rita.  5 minutes warning...yeah that would suck.  But 10-40 seconds isnt so bad. Just enough time for me to make sure the oven is off and toss the kids under the table.

Yeah, I could see anything around a minute or less being okay.  Over a minute and you've got the ER filled with heart and anxiety attacks just when you REALLY need it to be slow.

endurance

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
Our fire dispatch just went to a new system where as soon as they receive the call from the 911 call center, it automatically texts the page to our phones.  As a result, it often goes out 10-20 seconds faster than it takes for the dispatcher to code in the tones to activate our radio pagers and voice over the page.  It doesn't seem like much time, but it's surprisingly long I'm finding.  I can usually be almost fully dressed for a night call before the pager even tones.  IMHO, if they could issue a 10 second warning for all earthquakes over 5.0 they could save hundreds of injuries and fatalities a year, just by having the chance to get away from windows, into door frames, or under tables.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
Right now:
A 3.4 Magnitude Quake in Rolling Hills, CA near Palos Verdes Hills right now.

Cedar

nkawtg

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 09:49:01 PM »
What possible good is 10 seconds of warning except to say "yep we had warning".
What would most of the population do with 30 or 40 seconds warning?
Sit on their posteriors and wait.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »