Author Topic: Disposing of cases with live primers  (Read 3781 times)

Offline hbprepper

• Prepper
  • I like pies!
Disposing of cases with live primers
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:35:12 AM »
Hi folks,

I was given some old cordite filled, berdan primed .303 rounds that I decided to pull the projectiles from so I now have a bag of live primed cases to be disposed of.

I read somewhere that soaking them in oil should make them inert. Is that correct?

Any suggestions on the best way to dispose of them?

Cheers

HB

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
Re: Disposing of cases with live primers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:33:27 AM »
Look for a blacksmith and sell (or give) them to him, so he has brass to smith with.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:43:41 AM »
What you have now is the alarm part of a trip wire alert  system .

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »
That style primer is almost impossible to reload, so there are minimal options down that path.  Motor oil / wd40 will do a wonderful job making them inert before you de-mill them.  I would soak them for a week before doing anything else with it. 

If you have a rifle that can shoot that round; easy fix.  Treat them with respect and shoot them off in a safe location.  Considering the age of the ammo, I would guess the primers are caustic and any weapon needs to be cleaned right after firing just the primer.

And yes, they would make a wonderful noise makers but with the down side of possible fire, legal, and other safety issues.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »
A couple of drops of oil in each case will do the job, no need for complications.  then just scrap them or take them to a salvage center to sell for brass if the quantity is sufficient to pay for the gas to make the trip.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »
A bit of oil,or even water,will make them useless...but they are not NUKES....why worry? people trashcan spray products every day and yet no landfill has inverted and turned into a pit.I added a bunch to the concrete for a radio tower as I poured concrete...made good filler.

Or if you are really worried,do what our wise Government did with TONS of old radioactive junk...just put it in a metal drum and toss it in the metal dissolving ocean water...That must be the right way to do it. :o

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »
I'd say pop them off in a gun if you have something in that caliber.
If you just trying to junk them throw them into a good barrel fire. they will cook off.
Even live rounds just go pop.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:17:50 PM »
I'd say pop them off in a gun if you have something in that caliber.
If you just trying to junk them throw them into a good barrel fire. they will cook off.
Even live rounds just go pop.

There go all the Westerns that a hand full of bullets in the fire ONLY killed the bad guys.The cases actually do sting a bit though.

Offline hbprepper

• Prepper
  • I like pies!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:33:59 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advise.

Sounds like a good squirt of wd40 and ditch them. Its only 25 cases and they are rather corroded so only really fit for scrap.

Cheers

HB

Offline res45

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
For deposing of berdan primed brass I simply take the appropriate shell holder if you have one insert the case filled with water and use the appropriate size bolt that fits tightly in the case neck and whack it with a hammer it will drive the berdan primer out of the case with hydraulic pressure .   I do this all the time with once fired berdan primed brass or steel case ammo I plan to sell for scrap.

If you don't have the correct shell holder you can just use a wooden block and drill a hole for the primer to fall through.  I don't have a problem with live primer as all mine are fired,but soaking in oil or water over a period of time will render them inert or you can just dig a hole and bury them in the ground will serve the same purpose.

Berdan and boxer primer in general are basically harmless by themselves anyways as they require a rapid crushing effect to set them off,of course there is always fire.  With berdan primers unlike boxer primers the anvil component is part of the case so basically all you have is a small cup full of primer compound,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q0E4GtSa4