Author Topic: Smart phone apps  (Read 16590 times)

Offline Jlpayne86

• Prepper
  • MSB lifetime member
Smart phone apps
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:59:18 AM »
I am thinking of moving out of dinosaur mode and getting a smart phone.  I basically need the text feature to keep up with important texts.  My problem is I'm rough on phones working on the farm any good suggestions?
Secondly if I am getting a smart phone might as well put to good use.....so what are good prepping/ farming/gardening apps you guys use???
Thx
Jason

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Smart phone apps
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:59:14 AM »
My problem is I'm rough on phones working on the farm any good suggestions?
Most new smartphones are fairly fragile, but there's a big selection of after-market protective cases for them.  Otterbox is the name-brand solution here, but there are plenty of others jumping into the market.  Here's a link to start: http://www.otterbox.com/defender-series/defender-series,default,pg.html

Secondly if I am getting a smart phone might as well put to good use.....so what are good prepping/ farming/gardening apps you guys use???
Intellicast has a good, free weather radar app.  It includes future projections as well, they're fairly good guesstimates of where storms are going next.

I use my phone a lot as a computer for digital ham radio comms, which may or may not be your thing.

After that, what I find most useful are the mostly generic-type apps that any non-prepper might use: an emulator for my favorite scientific calculator, flashlight, maps (google and apple's mapping apps are pretty good, once you get past a few quirks).  And of course, there's always a mp3 player (y'know, to listen to Jack's podcast).

As you said though, texting is a big deal.  It usually gets through when voice can't, so in a way it is a serious survival prep app.

Offline travisonfire

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:14:23 AM »
I like the us army survival guide and my knot tying app has become pretty handy as well.  Both are free, even better.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:26:11 AM »
Depending on which cellphone you get, OtterBox or LifeProof cases are good.

Will you need a water resistant case?  My wife had a lifeproof for her iphone and hated it.  having to "unseal" the case to plug it in for charging and needing a special adapter to use the headphone jack.

I have an otterbox, and like them.  otterbox basically has a lifetime guarantee, you break it, they'll send you a new one.  For my previous phone I went through 3 cases, due to what I believe was a design flaw.  On my new phone (Galaxy S4), I managed to break the belt clip after 6 months of use, but a new one is on the way.

Some phones are already water proof (Galaxy S5) so no need for a special case.

As far as aps, well, there's the TSP app.  Weather apps - weather.com & accu weather (I like having 2 sources for weather cause sometimes they are worlds apart from each other).  I have dropbox and google apps installed as I use both cloud sharing services for remote back ups of data (some encrypted, some not).  The dropbox account automatically syncs my photos and video I take with my phone.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »
There's so many good apps out there depending on what you want.  Some favorites of mine include:
a scanner app -- great for following breaking news whether it's down the street or down under
a weather app with emergency alerts -- some can be programmed to track where you are and give you the latest alerts for your current location, others alert to your zip code so you can get an alert for home even when you're at work 25 miles away
a local news app -- with breaking news alerts so you can keep apprised of what's happening around you
a international news app -- heck, I like several including the BBC, LA Times, NPR, and Washington Post
Waze -- a traffic app that uses your GPS data and the data of other users to calculate your best way through or around traffic with drive times based on the speed of other users on the same route
a topo map app -- there's several out there for both iphone and android that allow you to pre-download your local area so even if you lose service, you can still have the maps accessible
specialty apps -- as a firefighter I have apps for measuring slope, distance, direction, calculating fuel moistures, identifying hazardous materials, locating the nearest AED, and even calling for an air rescue helicopter. 

Personally, I've had an android and now have an iphone.  My primary reason to going with the iphone was convenience; I wanted my music collection with me wherever I went.  Since getting it I've found the apps work better, I have less crashes, and while there are more paid apps and fewer free ones, the apps are worth the money because they work and are more professionally polished.  That said, about the only thing I'd steer away from is the Windows Phone and Blackberrys.  Both offer too few apps and too poor of functioning apps to be all that much better than a dumb phone.

Offline Caveat

• Prepper
  • Might as well smile.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »
My dinosaur died 2 months ago.  All contact info was lost.  If it was still breathing everything could have been downloaded to new phone. I now have an iPhone with a LifeBox that has been rained on and dropped several times. So far so good.
But I am thinking about get a simple plain cellphone as a backup. The new phone needs to be charged way more than the dearly departed Blackberry ever did.

endurance

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »
My dinosaur died 2 months ago.  All contact info was lost.  If it was still breathing everything could have been downloaded to new phone. I now have an iPhone with a LifeBox that has been rained on and dropped several times. So far so good.
But I am thinking about get a simple plain cellphone as a backup. The new phone needs to be charged way more than the dearly departed Blackberry ever did.
That's one thing Blackberry did well; battery life.  My first generation could go seven days between charges.  Regardless of phone, android or iphone, a rechargeable portable charger is a must have.  I have several.  One is no larger than the phone itself and can take my phone from 5% to 90%, but I prefer the larger units that can go from zero to full charge several times.  They're nice to stick in a coat pocket, desk drawer, glove box, or wherever you might need a charge.  Heck, some of them are even powerful enough to jumpstart your car, too.

Offline Jlpayne86

• Prepper
  • MSB lifetime member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
Thx for the app suggestions I will be downloading several of them!!!   I went with a galaxy s5 it seems/looked the most durable.
The first app I downloaded was tsp, it works great!

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »
A couple of the ones I use. Yard Sale Treasure Map. Handyman Calculator. Evernote. Zello.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »
These are the ones I have on my phone:

Glympse – (my score A)
A nice way to share your location with anyone for a specified period of time. I put it on my cell as I can see a lot of good reasons for it but only have it for specific people I am heading to their house. It works for hiking or around your property too.

Emergency Radio Free -  (my score A)
Extensive database of live police, fire, EMS, railroad, air traffic, train, NOAA weather, coast guard, HAM radio, and other frequencies. Tune in to everything from the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) to the New York Fire Department (FDNY). It is very much like my Radio Reference that I like to use on my laptop, but I think this one is easier to use.

MKA Alerts  (my score C-D)
The Natural Disaster Alerts Map application is free and displays the locations of and information about recent earthquakes, tropical cyclones, volcanic activity and floods that have occurred around the globe. Select an item on the map to receive general information. I am not too keen on this one, but am trialing it anyway. However it will probably get deleted.

Find iPhone -  (not sure yet on a score as I have not lost my iPhone yet)
Self explanatory

SAS Survival Lite (my score A)
SAS Survival Lite is the free version of the complete SAS Survival Guide. It is pretty sweet. I suggest it for newbies and experienced people alike.

MyAltitude (my score C-B)
I think it works? I have not gone anywhere but the valley currently, so have not gained much in elevation or found mountain summit markers/train depot signs telling the elevation yet. However it says +/- 19 meters it could be out, so see below on Commander Compass Lite which I think I like better.

Coleman Camping Cookbook (my score A)
Just wish there were more recipes. But it is an excellent start and I really and trying a few of them. They also give you different cooking methods as well as ingredients and more.

GoToAid lite (my score A)
Nice little 'pocket book' full of first aid, disaster, natural disasters before, during and after for people with little to moderate skills. I also like it in case I am tired or questioning myself as a backup. It also has Morse Code which I think I like better than the other AP mentioned below. It also has all the emergency numbers for LOTS AND LOTS of countries. COUNTRIES, not counties.

Disaster Alert (my score A)
I like this disaster alert program better than the other two listed above. It updates more frequently. Has more information. I will probably delete the other two programs. I have another disaster program on my laptop and this one is not as good as the one on my laptop. But it is good for a free ap.

Flashlight – It works, but not sure I can score a flashlight.

Alltrails (my score B until I can play with it a bit more)
40,000 trails & reviews. Tells elevation gains, distance, driving to the trailhead directions.

Maps with Me (my score A)
Offline maps of all the countries of the world. Was kinda difficult to find OFFLINE maps. So this way if you are out of cell tower range, you can still find your way (should still have a paper map in my opinion however)

Morse Code (my score D-C)
I like the one in the GoToAid lite ap much better

Leaf Snap (my score B)
At first I did not like this ap as it only has trees in it, now I kinda like it.

Wild Edibles Lite (my score A)
It doesn't have as many plants in it as I was hoping, but then again I used to teach wild edible foods classes for 10 years. I like that he has recipes, nutrition, medical, poisonous lookalikes. How to harvest and more. Great free ap.

Sun Seeker Lite (my score A)
It provides a FLAT VIEW SOLAR COMPASS showing the solar path, its hour intervals and elevation, winter and summer solstice paths, rise and set times and other details. I especially like the satelitte map overlay. It will help me out at the new farm.

Wiki How Survival (my score A)
I am not sure if I will ever have to control a spooked camel, but there is a lot of good things in here.

iBird Lite (my score A)
I have enjoyed birdwatching since I was 6 and I toted the Peterson's guide around with me everywhere. This I like for the bird calls and more. It could be applied for prepper stuff too.

Rogers Mushrooms  (my score C-B)
This is a handy little Ider, but I like my books better. I am not sure I trust it for when I am actually foraging and having a question on something, but as a pocket ID for fun, I like it.

NWMflowers (my score C-B)
Good as a ID reference, but Wild Edibles Lite is much better for being a wild edible food guide. I like these kinds of flower guides when I go hiking too however. For just an ID guide, I would give it a A score, but wish it had more flowers in it.

Gas Buddy (my score A)
I like the maps, I like it tells the mileage to the station.

Commander Compass Lite (my score A)
It has the artificial horizon on it, degrees, I think it has the elevation on it and if it does, it is better than the Altimeter mentioned above. I may get rid of the other altimeter ap, although it is prettier and easier to read.

Chem Safety (my score B-A)
After seeing a video that someone posted on one of my newsgroups about a chemical spill and a police officer heading to the victim laying in the middle of the roadway, the fumes from the chemicals overcame him and you literally watched him die from his dashboard cam, I decided this might be a good idea as I will always assist in an accident. I used to have HUGE books in my home from my ex who did Hazmat stuff and this ap makes finding things so much easier. Nice to have with me in case there is a chemical spill on the roadway. If I had to choose between this ap and the one just below, this would be the one to go however.

Placard Plus Free (my score A)
I like this chemical placard program as well. I think it will go well with the other one, so I can justify two of them. This one seems to be a bit more user friendly and more information including first aid rendering. So if I had to choose one between this and the one above, this one would be the keeper.

New Holland Agriculture Weather (my score A)
My new favorite weather ap. Check it a few times a day.

Bayer Weed Spotter (my score B)
Most wild edibles are weeds. This is a nice handy reference to grasses and broadleaf weeds. I like that is shows the plants in many grow stages.

River Level (my Score B)
I thought this was a good idea since our farm is near a river and many rivers which we need to cross to get there which can and do typically flood. River Level fetches and graphs daily statistics about selected rivers. Statistics currently include river depth and (for some locations) water temperature. It does not look like it is an instantanous reading which is why I dropped it to a B score. I like that it has graphs as well as text.

Marine Weather by BlueFin Engineering (my Score A)
Providing access to marine forecasts, live buoy data, tides, currents, radar, & sea surface temperatures. This program is very easy to use and gives me the data I am looking for when I wonder if it is a good day to go down to crab, clam or let SweetPea play on the sand.

My Radar (my Score B)
A quick little doplar for your phone.

Tsunami Evac (my Score B+)
Interactive maps of tsunami evacuation zones in both Oregon and Washington State. Has individual town tsunami information on it too. Also has alerts if there is any current.

Red Cross Hurricane (my Score A)
Be ready for severe weather with Hurricane by American Red Cross. Monitor conditions in your area or throughout the storm track, prepare your family and home, find help and let others know you are safe.

Red Cross Earthquake (my Score A)
Available in English or Spanish—is the third in a series created by the American Red Cross. Gives users instant access to local and real-time information, so they know what to do before, during and after earthquakes. Shows where earthquakes are real time. The new, simplified ‘Shake Zone Impact Maps’ provide users with personalized local impact information on the status of their community in order to help them make crucial decisions.

Red Cross First Aid (my Score A)
Gives you instant access to the information you need to know to handle the most common first aid emergencies. With videos, interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to know first aid.

Red Cross Wildfires (my Score A)
The “Blaze Tracker” trio of features-which can be customized for alerts specific to locations where they live, travel or have loved ones, “Blaze Warnings” which let users see areas where NOAA has issued warnings that conditions are favorable for potential wildfires, “Blaze Alerts” inform users when a wildfire has begun within 100 miles of any locations monitored; “Blaze Path” from Inciweb.org which provides users with a current view of an existing wildfire’s perimeter, how it has spread and the fire’s current location when available; Comprehensive reporting of all wildfire activity for every geographic area in the United States.

Earthquake! (my Score B-A)
This one doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Red Cross Earthquake ap, but I still like it. I will see which one does better real time.

Iseismometer (my Score B+)
Turn it on, then tap somewhere. It will even register my breathing. There is an alarm you can set on it for senstivity. You can also send in reports of activity.

TidalDataFree (my Score B)
Has all the US tide charts, ocean, bays and river. Also graphs.

What Knot to Do (in the Greater Outdoors) (my Score A+)
Too cool not to have. 70 different knots, step-by-step and save any knot to your Favorites list

What's on My Food (my Score A+)
Yeah.. this is why I try to grow all of my own... What are the dangers of these pesticides? How much of this stuff is really on the food we eat? This is a great reference for me for what I do.

Dutch Oven Helper (my Score A)
The Dutch Oven Helper is a fast, simple,  user-friendly tool for calculating the number of briquettes needed for a dutch oven meal.

Riverford Organic Farms Vegetable Machine (my Score A)
Crazy little ap. If you have weird things coming to harvest all at the same time like turnips, onions and jerusalem artichokes and nothing else  to make something out of dinner with, this IS YOUR AP! It WILL come up with a recipe.

FireWood Buddy (my Score A)
This is a practical and fun ap. It is meant for firewood related stuff (I will get to that in a sec), but it also has pests in firewood and camping checklists. But it also tells where to locate local (to you) firewood for camping (vendors, but if you want to order some firewood for your home, I bet you could). The Firewood Master section is what I liked too.. There is a section on what type of wood produces how much BTU, how much sparks it tosses out, how smokey it is, how easy to split and how easy to burn. If that was not enough, they also have campfire recipes, how to build a campfire, campfire tales, and campfire songs,

Parks Canada (my score A)
Camping basics, camping checklist, recipes and cooking, places to camp. Goes through types of stoves,  tents etc. Meal planning, setting up your campsite, camping with children, even how to care for and store your gear after you get back. Good recipes.

Oregon Fish Counts (my score B)
Nice to see if the fish are running and numbers for numberous locations in Oregon. I think the check thingy is difficult to get the check into.

Wiser Wireless Information System for Emergency Responders (my score A+)
Standalone. Deals with things like Anthrax to Bioterrorism agents, toxins, viruses, WMD, meth labs, helps ID 438 different chemicals. Properties, odor, taste, pH. NFPA decipher and way more.

GPS Hiker (my score A)
Camera mode, standard/sat/hybrid map, has map tracking mode, does your current hike, altitude gain, time, average speed, nice close in sat photos.

Topos2Go (my score A)
Offline downloads for when you are out of wireless range. You can download freely available maps and store them on your device for use without WiFi or cell access. Easy to search for maps IF you know the name of the area you are looking for.

Plot Hound (Timber Cruising) (my score B-A)
BSW timber conversion Calculator. Plot Hound is a simple timber cruise application. You can record diameter, height, species, and grade. Soon I will be mostly in charge of a 40 acre woodlot, thought I could use the help.

Bee Smart (my score A)
Browse through a database of nearly 1,000 native plants. Filter your plants by what pollinators you want to attract, light and soil requirements, bloom color, and plant type. This is an excellent plant reference to attract bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, beetles, bats, and other pollinators to the garden, farm, school and every landscape. Doubles as a wild plant ID book.

Tick Doctor (my score B-A)
My favorite part is on tick removal (blagh), but it is interesting to see the different kinds of ticks too. Prevention, shows all lifestages.

Floodwatch (my Score A)
Flood stages, graph to see how much it is rising or lowering, clickable maps to save certain rivers/creeks into favorites, details and more. I live in river and creek county which tend to flood and the new farm is along a river, so very useful for me. Replaced the RiverLevel ap for me

Quake Feed (my Score A)
This is like the website I like online and have looked at for years. It is RIGHT up to date within seconds. You can dial it in for different magnitudes. But I kept Earthquake! as it has EMSC, BGS, USGS. I also kept the Red Cross Earthquake ap. They all have slightly different things which are worthwhile on them.

UbAlert (my Score B+ to A)
Make sure to pull down on the tab to refresh it. You can dial it in for the severity type, not sure how fast it actually keeps up on to date.

Cedar

Offline Jlpayne86

• Prepper
  • MSB lifetime member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »
Cedar that is a write up!!!  I'm off to start downloading! Thx!!!

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:13 PM »
Once again, Cedar wins the internet! I am now looking for some of these for my android, lol.

On Find iPhone - I put it on both girls' phones. They are constantly leaving them on silent and forgetting where they put them. The alarm is LOUD. Bug's was stolen out of her backpack at school, so I set the alarm off which works even on silent. A teacher took it up from another student. He was charged with theft and we got her phone back. Win/win

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
Another vote for Otterbox.  I've dropped my phone a billion times on pavement and concrete, and it's still great 4 years later.

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »
Most everything's been covered BUT I will 2nd the us army survival guide & WAZE

I live in Virginia & radar detectors are illegal but with WAZE you "see" the police long before they see you ;) also accidents, debris, traffic congestion, alternate routes All real time.

Also, I tried several weather apps. My favorite is Radar Express - NOAA Weather
it's no frills, just a weather radar & a forecast. It alerts you to bad weather too.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 03:38:55 AM »
Great list, Cedar.

If you are looking for a podcast app for Android, BeyondPod.  It's awesome.  The free version is crippled, but I forget what it is (maybe limited number of podcasts).  As soon as I tried it out, I paid for the full license.  Well worth the price

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 06:13:44 AM »
If you are looking for a podcast app for Android, BeyondPod.  It's awesome.  The free version is crippled, but I forget what it is (maybe limited number of podcasts).  As soon as I tried it out, I paid for the full license.  Well worth the price

Doggcatcher is the best podcast app for Android.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 06:30:35 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree. 

Offline shaggyfrog

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »
If you want a beast of a phone that can survive it all the Casio Commando.  I don't use mine anymore (it still works, but I'll explain in a sec.) but when I did it handled everything I threw at it.  You could swim with it in your pocket, take a shower with it and listen to the music, you could let your toddlers play with it, drop it in your cereal, throw it down when you got ticked off, etc etc....  I work for UPS and cant tell you how many times it fell from my shirt pocket up in the truck out the door and onto the concrete down below.  I seriously could not break the thing.  Here's the downfall... it was sloooooooow.  Even the most recent one was outdated by the time it came out.  I really wanted the newest "smart"est phone at the time and the casio just was not in the same league as the other phones.  But if you can deal with it, it may be the way to go if it is still offered.  And you would not need a case at all for one of those as well.  But any other phone, grab an otterbox for sure.

A few apps I'd like to add to those recommended:
Podkicker (Pro) - best podcast app I can find, use it every single day.
cPro Craigslist Free Client - if you like craigslist deals
If your into weather I use all these together
   Pro Weather Alert
   Radar Express
   Storm Chaser Companion
   StormEye
Best maps IMO is your trusty Google Maps

I don't use a lot of gardening apps or anything, but I learn a lot from YouTube on my phone, and just browse different websites and soak up the info.  Oh and Chrome seems to be the browser that works best for me as well.

Good Luck!

Offline shaggyfrog

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
My post was a bit late  :P.  Missed the part about you getting the S5.  Nice phone indeed.

Offline Jlpayne86

• Prepper
  • MSB lifetime member
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »
My post was a bit late  :P.  Missed the part about you getting the S5.  Nice phone indeed.
It has been a great phone so far!

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 08:22:04 AM »
I'm waiting for the newer version of the Moto G to come out to upgrade my phone. Current one doesn't have an sd card.

Offline Jim H

• Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 10:13:34 PM »
If you want a beast of a phone that can survive it all the Casio Commando.  I don't use mine anymore (it still works, but I'll explain in a sec.) but when I did it handled everything I threw at it.  You could swim with it in your pocket, take a shower with it and listen to the music, you could let your toddlers play with it, drop it in your cereal, throw it down when you got ticked off, etc etc....  I work for UPS and cant tell you how many times it fell from my shirt pocket up in the truck out the door and onto the concrete down below.  I seriously could not break the thing.  Here's the downfall... it was sloooooooow.  Even the most recent one was outdated by the time it came out.  I really wanted the newest "smart"est phone at the time and the casio just was not in the same league as the other phones.  But if you can deal with it, it may be the way to go if it is still offered.  And you would not need a case at all for one of those as well.  But any other phone, grab an otterbox for sure.

A few apps I'd like to add to those recommended:
Podkicker (Pro) - best podcast app I can find, use it every single day.
cPro Craigslist Free Client - if you like craigslist deals
If your into weather I use all these together
   Pro Weather Alert
   Radar Express
   Storm Chaser Companion
   StormEye
Best maps IMO is your trusty Google Maps

I don't use a lot of gardening apps or anything, but I learn a lot from YouTube on my phone, and just browse different websites and soak up the info.  Oh and Chrome seems to be the browser that works best for me as well.

Good Luck!

I have a Casio G'zOne and it sounds just like the Casio Commando - indestructible and slow. Good for phone stuff, snapshots and listening to podcasts & audiobooks, even in the shower. But as far as the other stuff, not so much a smart phone as a moderately intelligent one.

Offline ScottyK

• Prepper
  • "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore..."
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation for Doggcatcher. I've got a brand new Galaxy S5, and it's been so long that I've had a modern phone I forgot it can do stuff like this!

+1 for the Linux in your sig!

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 07:39:27 AM »
My new favorite app is RV Parky.  It lists RV parks, national, state and CITY parks with camping, truck stops, Walmarts and cracker barrels and other RV-friendly businesses, rest stops and tells prices for campsites and whether the businesses and rest stops allow overnight parking.  SUPER handy for vacations and road trips even if you don't have an RV (which I don't yet). 

Offline hopefulsurvivalist

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 12:39:38 PM »
Please add to this list!

Peacekeeper - Directly contacts you with friends, family, and neighbors in an emercency (police, fire or medical).  Free, quicker than 911, completely voluntary (non taxpayer funded) and a great community builder.  My #1 for TSP. peacekeeper.org

Waze - Avoid traffic congestion, speed traps and construction.  Save time, money, and stay away from those red and blue lights! waze.com

Uber - Connect to other freedom minded entreprenuers who want to give/get a ride.  Less middlemen = about 1/2 the cost of a cab.  Stay away from that government funded transportation monopoly they call public transit! uber.com

Police Tape - Police claim the same we should have nothing to hide.  The same should be true for them. Keep them accountable. This uploads video or audio to the ACLU automatically and also educates you on your rights in a number of situations. The "oh crap app" also does this and gives you info by state.  http://www.wired.com/2012/07/monitor-police-app/

Disaster Alert - Disaster Alert is a mobile multi-hazard monitoring application created for iOS and Android™ users. By accessing the DisasterAWARE platform, it provides users with near real-time access to data on active hazards globally—showing events that are designated potentially hazardous to people, property, or assets.

Scanner Radio - In a disaster, you want to know what's going on where.

Offline Kayakmom

• Prepper
  • Happy to be here.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 01:04:43 PM »

Police Tape - Police claim the same we should have nothing to hide.  The same should be true for them. Keep them accountable. This uploads video or audio to the ACLU automatically and also educates you on your rights in a number of situations. The "oh crap app" also does this and gives you info by state.  http://www.wired.com/2012/07/monitor-police-app/

Does this app still exist? Can't find it on Apple app store and the link from that article goes to a dead link at the google play store. 

Offline desmond11

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure this topic already exists.I will see if I can find it.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure this topic already exists.I will see if I can find it.
Yes, it does. Merged.