Author Topic: Online PDC Availability  (Read 3298 times)

Offline whiterussiansp

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Online PDC Availability
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
Really want to take a reputable online PDC...anyone have any insight as to when/where one might be available? Looking at Geoff Lawton and PermaEthos but willing to consider others. Fairly new to permaculture, bought a farm in 2012 that's ready to be restored, and looking to get educated to get myself off in the right direction for next year. I really don't care about certification just the education. Also would prefer to do this over a period of months, not a year. I don't expect to learn everything that quickly, but enough to build a plan and start executing it in phases.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
Re: Online PDC Availability
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
I do not know of other online PDCs. 

You may want to check out Paul Wheaton's forum Permies.com.    I have had great luck in finding local Permaculture events through Meetup.com.  You may be able to find local work shops to round out an online PDC.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »
I would highly recommend Geoff Lawtons course. Is it pricey? Sure. Is it pricey for a reason? Sure. Is it worth the money...can you hear Mr. Spirko in your head yet? It depends.

Geoff Lawton is an amazing teacher with decades of REAL WORLD experience. I was blown away by the course. He offers an easy to understand course based on the PDM that has to be, at this point, the standard for a PDC. He also offers those real world experiences in stories throughout the course to illustrate different points. Some of his personal stories, to me, were worth the price of the course. Hearing Geoff Lawton describe how in his early permaculture days he was hot, sweaty, angry and lost his cool on a particular morning, stormed across a patch of high weeds and sticker bushes only to tumble over and find himself on his backside on a wet spot was fantastic. It was there he had an "a-ha" moment. The value was in the "a-ha" but the value for me was also hearing how this polished permaculture designer was struggling. Seeing Geoff Lawton talk now you would think that he always "got it" and understood all the things he teaches. The truth is, he didn't, and hearing that gave me great confidence that I to could struggle and learn as I went. If I could buy a book or dvd of Geoff Lawton telling his personal permaculture story with the up's and down's, successes and failures, I would. Fantastic stuff.

You can however purchase the designers manual and read it. You can teach yourself through books, e-books, and free online resources. Also keep in mind that a PDC teaches big picture concepts regarding designing a property. The value for me was that it changed how I looked at problems. It won't teach you how to DEVELOP a property over time. It will however help you to form a design and even plan out the future for that design.

You may even be able to buy the Lawton PDC in DVD format. I know it came with the course.

My biggest hang up with the free online resources is that because they are free there is less focus on producing a quality and more importantly value packed PRODUCT. It really is a case of you get what you pay for. They are however FREE, so when you pay nothing its easy to squeeze some value out of it!

There is a free video lecture series from NC State as well.

http://mediasite.online.ncsu.edu/online/Catalog/Full/f5a893e74b7c4b7980fd52dcd1ced71521

As well as a free PDC site that will send you emails three times a week once you sign up. There are some good lectures on there but instead of selling the content they focus on selling other things, kind of annoying. This guy has caused some controversy, but there is some good stuff. Quality isn't always the best.

http://www.openpermaculture.com/

Offline Smalls

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:46:23 AM »
Thanks a ton for posting that NC State link. I too had been searching for low budget solutions and had found OpenPermaculture but just couldn't force myself to waste the time attempting to get positives from him. Plus the barrage of emails are pretty ridiculous. This on the other hand I think I can download and listen to in the car on my commute and the prof seems a bit easier to follow and listen to. My goal is to jump in on Jack's round two of the PermaEthos PDC with a good foundation of knowledge and hopefully a few local workshops under my belt.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:52:35 AM »
Geoff Lawton and the PermaEthos PDCs are the only ones that I'm aware of.  As someone else suggested, check out Paul Wheaton's site.

Personally, I think that once the PermaEthos PDC is finished they will likely re-offer it.

When you get the chance, please stop over at the Intro Thread and introduce yourself.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:33:52 AM »
Free is free for a reason so keep that in mind with NC State class as well. Some lectures, the first 30 minutes is a discussion regarding who brought food this week, who will bring food next week and when and how to eat it. Professor Hooker also discusses at one point how he wishes fairies were real in the garden...but I suppose if any of us were honest enough we could admit to some silly wishes as well. There are also a few good field trips to sites practicing permaculture. Another positive is the diversity in the class, a wide range of backgrounds are represented.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
As well as a free PDC site that will send you emails three times a week once you sign up. There are some good lectures on there but instead of selling the content they focus on selling other things, kind of annoying. This guy has caused some controversy, but there is some good stuff. Quality isn't always the best.

http://www.openpermaculture.com/

Jack's comment:

Note the people behind this are complete and total scum.  Do not have anything to do with them!  At all, ever.  They literally have threatened to sue people over bad reviews and for being kicked out of private yahoo groups which they were spamming.

When you sign up there TOS literally says you give them permission to sue you. 

Notice to MODS, the people from this organization are scum, they are to be brutally beaten with the ban hammer if they show up EVER, if you provide me with IPs I will ban them from the server or admins you are free to do so as well.

Thanks to Paul Wheaton for letting me know about this, this episode of TSP gives the entire story,

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/challenges-of-urban jump to about 7 minutes to get the skinny. 

Vlad, you are a scum bag!  Now go ahead and threaten to sue me!